China is new home for royal caribbean international's quantum of the seas

Interesting. And Anthem is no longer porting out of Fort Lauderdale. It'll go out of New York at least for Winter 2015/16. That pretty much seals the deal for me. I won't be sailing either of those two ships.

RCI Press release: CHINA IS NEW HOME FOR ROYAL CARIBBEAN INTERNATIONAL'S QUANTUM OF THE SEAS

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1094/china-is-new-home-for-royal-caribbean-internationals-quantum-of-the-seas/

http://www.cruisecurrents.com/article/16507

Today, Royal Caribbean has shown a major sign of confidence in the growing Asian cruise market. Beginning in May 2015, Royal Caribbean’s soon to be newest ship, the Quantum of the Seas, will relocate to Shanghai (Baoshan), China for year round sailings throughout Asia.

The Quantum of the Seas will be the largest and newest cruise ship to homeport in Shanghai (Baoshan) when she debuts in Asia in May 2015. While homeporting in Shanghai, Quantum of the Seas will offer a variety of three to eight night sailings to Japan and Korea. The sailings aboard Quantum of the Seas will be an additional offering to other Royal Caribbean ships sailing itineraries in the region, including the Mariner of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas.

“Consumers in China have grown to expect the best the world has to offer, and Quantum of the Seas meets that standard like no other ship,” said Adam Goldstein, President and COO, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. “We are ready to accelerate the growth of this vital market with a ship that will capture the imagination of travelers looking for a one-of-a-kind vacation experience.”

“Every trend we are seeing in China tells us we can achieve real long-term competitive advantage and appealing returns on our investments in this fast-growing market by accelerating our presence there,” Goldstein said. “We will have to be nimble, but the ability to move fast is one of our strengths.”

“These incredible ships will meet the sophisticated expectations of consumers in Shanghai, New York and London. Our mantra for the new Quantum class of ships is ‘this changes everything’ – and upping our game in these key markets achieves just that,” said Dominic Paul, Vice President, International, Royal Caribbean International. “Our distinctive style of high quality innovative cruises has become known to travelers around the world and we will continue to deploy our most technologically advanced ships where the demand is, with the expectation of winning new converts to cruising.”

The Quantum of the Seas is currently under construction at Meyer Werft Shipyards in Papenburg, Germany. The ship is scheduled to debut in New York City this coming November, offering a number of sailings to the Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda until May 2015.

The new Quantum of the Seas will debut a number of “firsts” for the cruise industry, including North Star, a unique observation pod extending over the side of the ship; Two70, a technologically advanced entertainment venue; SeaPlex, a re-imagined sports complex; and many others. The Quantum of the Seas will also debut a new dining concept for guests, known as Dynamic Dining, which will allow guests to control every dining aspect of their cruise.

I know next to nothing about Chinas climate but Im guessing its not the cold weather cruising everyone thought these ships were being built for. :confused:

I mean people pretty much swore on here that both these ships would only be sailing out of the Northern US.

Well, that would explain why they haven't released sailing dates past April 2015. That sucks as we wanted to cruise on her out of Cape Liberty in Nov 2015. We did a dummy booking for next April with the plan to go in Nov. We cannot go in April. I wonder what ship will go to Cape Liberty now.

ETA, I just saw the previous post about Liberty and then Anthem. But, can we believe Anthem will stay in Cape Liberty?

Edited by BND

Interesting. And Anthem is no longer porting out of Fort Lauderdale. It'll go out of New York at least for Winter 2015/16. That pretty much seals the deal for me. I won't be sailing either of those two ships.

Makes two of us. We would have eventually tried the Anthem out of FLL. Of course I wonder how much of this is related to the QN class and Bermuda dragging their feet on the port area?

Edited by cruisingator2

Well, that would explain why they haven't released sailing dates past April 2015. That sucks as we wanted to cruise on her out of Cape Liberty in Nov 2015. We did a dummy booking for next April with the plan to go in Nov. We cannot go in April. I wonder what ship will go to Cape Liberty now.

ETA, I just saw the previous post about Liberty and then Anthem. But, can we believe Anthem will stay in Cape Liberty?

At this point, I am not believing ANYTHING....

Would be nice to have Anthem though.....

Wow, I was shocked when I heard this news...your thoughts?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2014/04/16/royal-caribbean-quantum-china/7781397/

That you are two minutes later than the other person who already posted this. Otherwise, it's not surprising and will upset quite a few people.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

So does that mean that the Anthem TA in October 2015 will go to Cape Liberty instead of FLL ? :confused:

It will, thank goodness. Until I got to the last part of the paragraph below, I was thinking 'What about Cape Liberty?!!'

RCI WOWed me for sure, as in WOW! Didn't see that coming!

Guess we'll have to wait to see if the third Quantum-class ship will make its home port in Cape Liberty? Or elsewhere.

Quantum of the Seas will debut in November 2014, and will spend its inaugural season sailing from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, N.J., before repositioning to China in May 2015. Beginning late June 2015, the ship will sail three- to eight-night itineraries year-round from Shanghai to Japan and Korea. Liberty of the Seas will then arrive to Cape Liberty to sail to Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Canada and New England for the 2015 summer and autumn seasons. The Freedom-class ship will be the company’s newest and largest ship to offer cruises to Bermuda from the New York-metropolitan area. Finally, Quantum of the Seas’ sister ship, Anthem of the Seas, which launches in April 2015, will complete her inaugural Europe season from London (Southampton), U.K., before arriving to Cape Liberty in November 2015 to continue Quantum-class cruising to the Bahamas and Caribbean for the winter 2015-16 season.

Edited by Lloyd555

Quantum of the Seas will debut in November 2014, and will spend its inaugural season sailing from Cape Liberty in Bayonne, N.J., before repositioning to China in May 2015. Beginning late June 2015, the ship will sail three- to eight-night itineraries year-round from Shanghai to Japan and Korea. Liberty of the Seas will then arrive to Cape Liberty to sail to Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Canada and New England for the 2015 summer and autumn seasons. The Freedom-class ship will be the company’s newest and largest ship to offer cruises to Bermuda from the New York-metropolitan area. Finally, Quantum of the Seas’ sister ship, Anthem of the Seas, which launches in April 2015, will complete her inaugural Europe season from London (Southampton), U.K., before arriving to Cape Liberty in November 2015 to continue Quantum-class cruising to the Bahamas and Caribbean for the winter 2015-16 season.

Yes I saw the text you have made bold thanks, but I wondered if perhaps they will still take her to FLL as they have been selling the TA for a while now...and then maybe do a repositioning up to Cape Liberty?

From the RCI press release it sounds like Anthem is only going for the winter period. I wonder how much of this has to do with Bermuda and the fact that they still have not decided to dredge for QN? This seems to be so last minute and RCI had to have firm plans in place.

Edited by cruisingator2

Yes I saw the text you have made bold thanks, but I wondered if perhaps they will still take her to FLL as they have been selling the TA for a while now...and then maybe do a repositioning up to Cape Liberty?

That seals the deal for me too.