Room types

My wife and I have been on 4 RCI cruises. Twice we have had promenade rooms and twice interior. As much time as we spend in the room i just cant understand why people get balconies, suites etc. just would like some opinions. Thanks.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In April we will be occupying a Promenade room for the first time. We have had ocean views, balconies, and an interior room. We love the balcony, but only purchase a balcony if a good deal is offered for an upgrade.

When we would get back from the Caribbean port, we would go to the buffet and take our trays down to our room and sit on the balcony for our lunch with our wine. On our Alaska cruise, we would watch for whales and dolphins from our balcony.

How did you like the Promenade stateroom?

As much time as we spend in the room i just cant understand why people get balconies, suites etc.

Everyone uses their staterooms differently. DH and I would much rather hang out on our balcony with a glass of wine and good book than fight for a chair around the pool. We enjoy being out and about, but do get enough use from our balcony that to us it justifies the cost. Also, with a D+ balcony discount we can often get a balcony for not much more than a standard oceanview.

My wife and I have been on 4 RCI cruises. Twice we have had promenade rooms and twice interior. As much time as we spend in the room i just cant understand why people get balconies, suites etc. just would like some opinions. Thanks.

I book the cabin that I think is the best value. In 25 cruises, only 4 have been in balcony cabins - and 2 of those were free upgrades. I'd much rather go on a longer trip or travel more freqnently than spend my vacation dollars on a fancier cabin.

I usually travel with my mum who has several health issues. The extra space offered in the suites we book gives her the opportunity to relax in a significantly increased amount of comfort. We also much prefer to sunbathe in the privacy of our own balcony. I have only had an oceanview room once, when I was travelling alone and I missed the space and the balcony.

We do also enjoy the 'suite perks' that comes with GS and above.

Each to their own. As long as you enjoy your cruise, that is the most important thing - inside, oceanview, balcony, suite or other!

Jo :)

Some people want a balcony. Some people don't. It's a preference.

We always spend time on our balcony, some days more than others. They are especially nice on sea days.

Have a great cruise regardless of where your stateroom is located.:D

Edited by JimAOk1945

We don't spend tons of time in the cabin, either, but when we are there, we like to be comfortable and have outdoor access! We book JS's...as they aren't as tight as a standard cabin. We did an OV one time....NEVER again! Too tight...didn't like not having the ability for fresh air.....not for me!

For quite a while now we've chosen to stay exclusively in Junior Suites, and wouldn't even consider going on a cruise if we didn't at least have a balcony room. It's funny, because some will strongly agree with us, some will strongly disagree with us. As one of the earlier posts said, it all comes down to personal preference. We're only in our early 40's, but the older we get, and the more cruises we go on, the more we like our space :)

There's just something about waking up in the morning before beginning the days activities, grabbing a coffee, and sitting out on the balcony with nothing but sunshine, the sound of the waves, and the view of the open water to keep you company. No noise, no crowds, no kids... just peaceful relaxation. Same goes for at night, when you can enjoy looking out at the stars. You just don't get that same experience anywhere else on the ship. There may be over 3000 guests on the ship, but at that moment, you'd never know it.

We also enjoy the extra space that the Junior Suites allow, which is VERY noticeable even with just the two of us. Nice big walk-in closet, an actual seating area, and a decent sized washroom. That little bit of extra space goes a long way to increase the comfort level of the cabin.

When we first started cruising I thought the cheaper the room, the better, figuring I'm hardly going to be in there with my eyes open anyway, but then we tried the balcony room. I was hooked. From that moment on I always had to have a balcony. And then one year we tried the Junior Suite. Once again... hooked! Never again would I cruise in any other cabin type. Once you know how good it is to have the larger room and balcony, it's hard to take a step backward.

As you may suspect, nowadays we're more about enjoying the rest and relaxation than partying until the wee hours. That's not to suggest you can't do the same in the other cabin types... this is just what works well for us.

Don't use my balcony at home so definitely would not a balcony on a ship. The room is only a place for me to sleep not the primary focus the cruise. So I book either an inside or oceanview which ever is the best deal and use the money saved on booking a balcony or suite on all the extras.

BTW have taken over 30 cruises and most were inside and not even oceanview.

For me it depends on who I cruise with. My first two cruises have been with family, so, a room with a window's been fine. Now that it's a more romantic trip with only my husband, having a balcony to have a glass of wine on will be worth it.

I feel the same way, except, we get balconies and junior suites. I can't understand why people travel in interior rooms. I suggest "different strokes for different folks" applies.

In April we will be occupying a Promenade room for the first time. We have had ocean views, balconies, and an interior room. We love the balcony, but only purchase a balcony if a good deal is offered for an upgrade.

When we would get back from the Caribbean port, we would go to the buffet and take our trays down to our room and sit on the balcony for our lunch with our wine. On our Alaska cruise, we would watch for whales and dolphins from our balcony.

How did you like the Promenade stateroom?

They are ok. If it wasnt for my wife we wouldnt have.

I feel the same way, except, we get balconies and junior suites. I can't understand why people travel in interior rooms. I suggest "different strokes for different folks" applies.

One word, MONEY.

My first cruise, I was a chaperone for a school trip (sheesh, I never got trips like that when I was in school!!), and shared an inside cabin with two other adults. I was so claustrophobic!

When my husband offered me a cruise for my birthday, we both wanted a balcony. We ended up having an intergenerational party of six (us, our kids, my parents), and got a RFS, which has a double-wide balcony. It was sublime! We loved having breakfast on the sunny balcony, reading, or just sitting and watching the wake. While we appreciated the amenities of the ship, we really wanted downtime, and the balcony was the haven we needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

This is certainly a personal preference, but I would not go back to an interior cabin. Even on Port intensive itineraries, being able to watch arrivals and departures from you own private balcony is priceless! Open the doors and enjoy the ocean breeze and sounds of the sea!!

I prefer balconies sothat I have my own private outdoor space. I don't like confined areas (interior cabins are claustrophobic to me) and I'm not comfortable in crowds.

Beyond that, when we travel with our kids, it gives us a place to go while they settle down to sleep, without us leaving them alone in the room.

And when it's just the wife and I, part of the purpose of the vacation is to reconnect with each other. And you can reconnect much better on the balcony than on the pool deck. :D

Yes, I went there.

I prefer balconies sothat I have my own private outdoor space. I don't like confined areas (interior cabins are claustrophobic to me) and I'm not comfortable in crowds.

Beyond that, when we travel with our kids, it gives us a place to go while they settle down to sleep, without us leaving them alone in the room.

And when it's just the wife and I, part of the purpose of the vacation is to reconnect with each other. And you can reconnect much better on the balcony than on the pool deck. :D

Yes, I went there.

You didn't show up on the internet did you?:D

we spend a lot of time in the room and find nothing more relaxing than sitting on the balcony at sunrise with a cup of coffee or sunset with a glass of wine. we love the extra space a suite gives and take full advantage of the CL and other amenities that suites offer.

I woudl go completely insane in an interior.

You didn't show up on the internet did you?:D

Not that I know of.

We do spend at least 4 hours a day on our balconies. There's just something about having private quiet outdoor space on a cruise ship, whether it's for the morning coffee, a glass of wine in the afternoon or evening, reading a book, taking a nap, watching the hypnotic waves, stargazing or the other thing I mentioned.

Inside is fine for us. We'll pay a little more for a balcony if we can get a deal, but not a lot as we don't spend much time in the room. Would not pay for an oceanview but will take one as an upgrade if there is no extra cost.

On our first cruise we were in an inside cabin. On our next cruise we had a balcony and would never be able to go back. Sitting on the balcony in the morning with my first cup of coffee watching the water and smelling the ocean air is my idea of a perfect start to what will be a perfect day.