It's been months since being asked…Paris restaurant suggestion !

kadey

We have one lunch and one dinner in Paris… Nothing crazy expensive, but doesn't have to be cheap! We are looking for something that is not a tourist spot just really good french food. We are staying in the St Germaine are but willing to taxi around! Thanks for any suggestions -Kade

We have one lunch and one dinner in Paris… Nothing crazy expensive, but doesn't have to be cheap! We are looking for something that is not a tourist spot just really good french food. We are staying in the St Germaine are but willing to taxi around! Thanks for any suggestions -Kade

There may be as many recommendations as there are restaurants in Paris - and many of them are quite good, with or without stars! I've had many fine meals just wandering around Paris and opting for a restaurant with a "plat du jour" 3 course menu at a fine price, options are abundant around the city and no reservations are required leaving you free to choose where and when to eat.

I *would* advise against dining in some of the restaurants in the Latin Quarter - but otherwise LOVE the Latin Quarter - as many of these restaurants NOT good at all and have 'hawkers' outside attempting to lure people in to dine...it's bothersome whilst one is strolling through an otherwise fun, cool area. Most of these restaurants just aren't great and are quite touristy - the touristy part wouldn't matter so much if the food was better...it's not.

One way to enjoy a Michelin 3 star - here is a little secret - the way to do it 'for less' is to take a prix fixe lunch. It is the same food, same chef, same kitchen...but maybe a few less courses (depends) and just in the daytime! I have done this in different cities in the world and it is a sublime (but rare!) experience. A place to try in Paris would be L'Arpege at 84 rue de Varenne, 75007 reservations would be essential - email: arpege.passard@wanadoo.fr

There is a Metro stop Varenne nearby but depending upon where you are in St Germaine, it might be walkable. The Rodin Museum is nearly across the street - but you might have had a morning at the d'Orsay? Who knows. Just thought it was worth mentioning, just in case a special treat might be in order...it's Paris ;)

Otherwise a delightful 'plat du jour' 3 course w/some wine and water is almost always a pleasant meal. Look around, listen to the others dining - are they speaking French? It's probably OK. :) Bon Appetit

I would do a lunch the at Benoit, it is an Alain Ducasse (sp) bistro, and have the three course set lunch. you MUST make reservation, your hotel should be able to reserve for you. A fine authentic lunch in a charming bistro in Paris is a great way to experience a very fine dining experience that would cost hundreds of euros for dinner. My dinner recommendation is Pizza Chic, filled with locals, again a reservation is a must, great pizza, salads, and wine and lovely ambiance. very nice and will not break budget. Tucked away but near the St Germaine district, we had a hard time finding it and almost lost our table being 15 minutes late.

When I was in Paris in 1975 (I was 12), my family was wandering around looking for a place to eat. We stumbled on a restaurant with a line outside, so we went there. L'Entrecote. Set menu of salad and steak frites with an AMAZING sauce. Forty-one years later and we all still remember that meal. Went back in 1992 and it was still a memorable meal!

I was in New York a few months ago and my friend and I were so excited to discover that one had opened there. We ate there two nights out of five.

It IS a chain, and it might be kind of touristy now (I don't know). There are several in Paris, Le Relais de L'Entrecote, in fact the one we ate at, just off the Champs-Elysees, appears to be there still.'

Edited to add: I had the creme brulee for dessert one night in NYC, and it was fine...but the next time I had the vacherin du relais and it was outstanding!

Edited by BeagleOne

One of our favorite restaurants in Paris is Les Papilles, 30 rue Gay Lussac. We return every time we are lucky enough to be in Paris. It is a set menu at dinner, so you eat what the chef has prepared for that night. The restaurant is quite small and reservations are best, but we've walked in at lunch and were able to get seated. We love it!