Cruise critic boards

Just wondering if any of the daily readers and posters here follow the boards when they are on a cruise. Obviously I know those who post "live" are on, but what about the others?

I do not pay for internet on board. On my last cruise, I was happy to get to port so I could go online to read what was happening here. Seems kind of silly that I'm on a cruise, but wondering what I'm missing on Cruise Critic... :eek:

I also don't have tapatalk and don't read cruise critic or any other forum from my smartphone.

I paid for tapatalk and barely even use it. I just use the browser on my smartphone a lot of the times.

As far as reading Cruise Critic while on a cruise, I will usually make a thread and include a few pics during embarkation day but once that ship pulls away from the port, my phone goes into airplane mode and becomes a camera only :) I do not buy internet packages. I cruise to get away from all that stuff :)

I DO appreciate Trainman and Radios live reports though.

When we vacation, the computer is shut down and I don't have a Laptop , Ipad, smart Phone or any of the nice techie toys, I am in vacation mode and want to enjoy the places I am seeing and relax. I don't even watch TV on board although DH does. I do dred the 200 + emails of nothing when I get home and tell my friends please don't send me anything because it will get dumped.:)

I bring my laptop and I get an internet credit from Princess Captain's Circle program.

I find the credit covers email, checking sports, news, finances.

It don't have enough to check CC or Facebook, so those are ignored while we are away and we often take pretty long cruises.

Just wondering if any of the daily readers and posters here follow the boards when they are on a cruise. Obviously I know those who post "live" are on, but what about the others?

I do not pay for internet on board. On my last cruise, I was happy to get to port so I could go online to read what was happening here. Seems kind of silly that I'm on a cruise, but wondering what I'm missing on Cruise Critic... :eek:

Because internet on board is so slow I only use it to quickly check email.

In port I almost never use internet since I'd rather sightsee.

However, in 2010 because our Alaska cruise on HAL was the first time for the 14 day itinerary and we were on the very first one, while onboard I did check in on the Alaska board to let them know what those on the other 14 day same itinerary could expect. In the months before the cruise we'd all done lots of chatting there about the new itinerary so it was helpful to them that I did some posting. I also used the free computer time in Juneau at the library after finishing our morning tour and before taking the Mt Roberts tram.

Other than that time I never check Cruise Critic while on a cruise.

Nope, it never occurred to me. I do buy some internet time on board, but I use it to send email updates and occasional photos to my family.

We bring a netbook and depending how many minutes we have left of our internet package toward the end of our cruise, I might take a look at CC. If we are getting out of minutes, I probably won't look at CC.

Cruise Critic is more of a cruise substitute than a cruise enhancement while actually cruising.

Well put.

I fall in the "phone in the safe camp". Once we sail away I'm off the grid until we get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have but very rarely. I think I answered a question I saw but could only address once on the ship. I like the discussion of cruising and CC fills the bill for that so there is no need once on board.:o

I used to do "Live" threads -- haven't done one in years.

The last couple of years I haven't even bothered to take my laptop.

When we leave the house -- I don't even bother checking e-mails -- thus I am not checking any of the sites I belong to.

Guest maddycat
Cruise Critic is more of a cruise substitute than a cruise enhancement while actually cruising.

Exactly. We get free internet time on RCI and Celebrity and only check in with the cat sitter while cruising.

I get plenty of free internet time on cruises becauseof my status, but, to tell the truth, I never even thought to use it to check Cruise Critic. There are always so many other things to do and when it is port intensive I am too tired to sit and watch a tiny screen.

~Doris~

I have been tossing around the thought of getting an IPad or Laptop for our long flight to Sydney next March, but once we start traveling it will sit around more then get used. Plus I would have to take some classes to learn how to us an IPad, heck I had trouble getting music unto my MP3 Player, so gave up and it now sits in the corner on my desk.:D

Nope. I did check in a few times on my cruise line board, but just to say "hi" and give a quick "live from" update. I didn't buy internet on board either, so I just checked in when we were in port and could get wifi. I didn't read others posts unless they were to me on my "live from" post

I never use the slow and expensive satellite internet on board. I do send a few 'live from' reports when I find a free wifi ashore, but only spend a couple of minutes doing that, and don't read anything on CC other than the roll call I am on currently, to see if there are any updates of interest...

I have been tossing around the thought of getting an IPad or Laptop for our long flight to Sydney next March, but once we start traveling it will sit around more then get used. Plus I would have to take some classes to learn how to us an IPad, heck I had trouble getting music unto my MP3 Player, so gave up and it now sits in the corner on my desk.:D

The iPad has a lot of uses. In addition to email, I use it for reading, which I use daily; on the bus or waiting for one, or trains and planes, or Dr.'s offices. Actually I'm never out & about without mine. Your local Apple store has free, basic, classes you can sign up for.

An iPad would be perfect for your flight to Oz.

Archived