Mosquitos inquiry

CrznonRmynd

Just to be on the safe side (regardless of where I travel) I always bring the small "OFF" brand individual wrapped towelette's..Much easier to keep with you/pack than spray. I buy a box of them at WalMart.

In the Alaska's interior the mosquito season is over by September. Actually, I haven't seen a mosquito since mid-August.

I don't know where this second wave came from here in Anchorage, but, I killed one yesterday! So, they haven't completely left us here.

Susan in Anchorage :)

This question was asked on our Roll Call thread, which

makes me wonder also. How is the mosquito situation

in September? Is it advisable to pack mosquito repellant;

and if so, what is the best product?

As your cruise is a 7 day return, I doubt that you are going to have any problem with mosquitoes in coastal Alaska in late September, at least I have never seen any. However, WalMart in their sporting goods department usually carries two brands of repellent in small plastic "pump" bottles which fit very nicely in a pocket.

We went to Alaska last year during September. We never saw a single mosquito. Not only that--we wore long pants, socks, shoes and jackets. Not much of us was exposed if there was one around.:D

In Icy Strait and Skagway it was too windy for mosquitoes to bite. [windy enough to blow my hair at almost a 90 degree angle to my head.:eek:

I just got back on Friday and I didn't see any. We were in Juneau, Skagway and Victoria.

I had a friend that was staying with a cousin at the cousin's B&B in the Denali area the week before. They were having a horrible time with them. The cousin put up a sign not to leave the doors open and some idiots did and then got driven out of their room and back into their car during the night because they were so bad. She had to do a fogger in the room to get rid of them.

We just came back from Alaska on 8/28. Based on many reviews, we bought 2 bottles of 100% deet (more like 98% actually) bug repellent. We never used once, not even in Wonder Lake where mosquito would be the worst.

We have been carrying the same 2 bottles in our suitcases on cruises from Anchorage to the Panama and everywhere in between and have not used them once....they will soon win the award for the most travelled bottles of DEET.:D

We have been carrying the same 2 bottles in our suitcases on cruises from Anchorage to the Panama and everywhere in between and have not used them once....they will soon win the award for the most travelled bottles of DEET.:D

That is so funny! So they have pretty long shelf life? That's good to know. Hate to throw them away without even using it once!

i spent the majority of yesterday sitting outside and reading. the only thing i swatted was the cat. it's been hot (warm) and dry in southeast, not good for mosquitos and noseeums, great for berries.

Would you please send the dry our way. It rained again today, with more expected in the next 3 days at least. Heard the other day on the weather, that we had gotten at least 7 inches, in the last 3 to 5 weeks, and, that was before yesterday's and today's episode of it really pouring down.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Archived