Disney World after cruise?

DevCruise

Hey all....

My wife and I were looking at maybe hitting Disney World for two days following our NCL cruise in January. However, tickets are expensive! Looks cheaper to make our cruise a 4 day + 3 day back to back than to hit Disney after getting off our cruise.

Any suggestions?

Right now it's looking like $352 just for the tickets. $272 for a hotel for two days. And about $100 for a rental car to get us from Miami to Orlando. Haven't figured out food or airfare differences yet versus doing the round trip to/from Miami.

Disney has a pkg that includes your room, tickets and food. It's called the Magic your way package I believe. They even pick you up at the Orlando airport and then take you back after your Disney trip. Disney has it's own transportation through out the parks so a rental car is not totally necessary. Plus, if you stay at a Disney hotel and do have a car, your parking is free. Check out one of the value resorts they are under $100 bucks per night. They just opened a new one, Disney Annimation but we like the All Star Music as it is more low-key. We always ask for a room in the back. A little more walking to the dining area but pretty quiet compared to up front and near the pool areas. Cheaper too.

Just call 1-800-WDISNEY and they will give you all of the info that you need to give you the best bang for your buck. BTW: The value resorts are fine if you are not planning on spending a lot of time at the hotel. Sometimes they try to talk you into a more expensive hotel option, but we have always been happy with the Values which are: The All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century and the new All Star Annimation.

Disney has an onsite rental car location but not sure what company. If you dont want to rent the car while at Disney, then you could rent from Miami and return to Orlando airport then you could just use the free Disney Magic your Way bus to and from.

Good luck to you and have fun !!!

:)

We are doing the same thing after our cruise in December. It is expensive, but since we live all the way across the country in Washington, I just have to suck it up and do it!

We did the same thing four years ago and it was so worth it. We stayed at Pop Music and we had a blast. This year we are staying at a Best Western right near Downtown Disney, because there are 5 of us and Disney Hotel prices are outrageous because it will be Christmas week. It will be a perfect way to end our vacation!

Disney has a pkg that includes your room, tickets and food. It's called the Magic your way package I believe. They even pick you up at the Orlando airport and then take you back after your Disney trip. Disney has it's own transportation through out the parks so a rental car is not totally necessary. Plus, if you stay at a Disney hotel and do have a car, your parking is free. Check out one of the value resorts they are under $100 bucks per night. They just opened a new one, Disney Annimation but we like the All Star Music as it is more low-key. We always ask for a room in the back. A little more walking to the dining area but pretty quiet compared to up front and near the pool areas. Cheaper too.

Just call 1-800-WDISNEY and they will give you all of the info that you need to give you the best bang for your buck. BTW: The value resorts are fine if you are not planning on spending a lot of time at the hotel. Sometimes they try to talk you into a more expensive hotel option, but we have always been happy with the Values which are: The All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Pop Century and the new All Star Annimation.

Disney has an onsite rental car location but not sure what company. If you dont want to rent the car while at Disney, then you could rent from Miami and return to Orlando airport then you could just use the free Disney Magic your Way bus to and from.

Good luck to you and have fun !!!

Hoosiercouple you really know what you are talking about we have stayed at many Disney resorts and it is worth the extra money. The only quibble I would have is the Pop Century it is fine I guess , but not up to the standards of the others. Sometime it is worth it to upgrade to the next teir of resorts Dixie landings(I know it is not called that anymore) or Caribbean Beach( best for the money I.M.H.O.)

We're staying for 4 nights before our 7 night cruise.

But we are driving down so we don't need to rent a car, and the savings from the flights will justify the hotel in the resort (almost)

We also cruise every 12 months, but this cruise will be 16 months out so a little more time to pay for it.

We wrestled with what resort to stay in, or off property maybe. But then we decided to be right in the middle of it all (Contemporary - monorail) to make the best of our time.

But where one stays is a individual decision-preference.

We're staying for 4 nights before our 7 night cruise.

But we are driving down so we don't need to rent a car, and the savings from the flights will justify the hotel in the resort (almost)

We also cruise every 12 months, but this cruise will be 16 months out so a little more time to pay for it.

We wrestled with what resort to stay in, or off property maybe. But then we decided to be right in the middle of it all (Contemporary - monorail) to make the best of our time.

But where one stays is a individual decision-preference.

I'd love to stay in the Contemporary, but that's not happening. :(

We don't need the rental car in Orlando. It was needed to get from the Miami cruise terminal to Orlando. We looked at flying and taking the train, but those take too long and would cost even more.

Based my earlier prices off staying at the Disney Pop Century.

Hoosiercouple you really know what you are talking about we have stayed at many Disney resorts and it is worth the extra money. The only quibble I would have is the Pop Century it is fine I guess , but not up to the standards of the others. Sometime it is worth it to upgrade to the next teir of resorts Dixie landings(I know it is not called that anymore) or Caribbean Beach( best for the money I.M.H.O.)

Yes, I agree if it's in the budget but for us with 2 kids along, we usually booked the value resorts.

When we lived in FLA, we had a season passes for our family. We have stayed in most all of the Disney hotels. We enjoyed most but kept going back to booking the value resorts. They suited us just fine because we spent most of the time at the parks only coming back on occasion for an afternoon pool breaks or naps. Plus, the Value resorts have decent food courts so there is no reason to spend a lot of $$$ for a sit down restaurant at the higher priced resorts (when we had the kids along). Our kids are older now, but they loved the value resorts because they were all very themed. Disney just opened the new Annimation resort this summer. The Annimation as well as the All Star Music now have both family suites and regular hotel rooms with 2 queens or a king bed. The family suites run about $199 and sleep up to 6 and the regular rooms are about $89 during value season. Slightly more, during more popular times of the year.

The Magic Your Way all in one package really does save a lot of money.

Just my DH and I are planning a Disney trip next year and are planning on a regular room at the new Annimation resort and are going to use the MYW plan so we have our transportation to and from the airport, room, tickets, and meals all in one.

This is just my opinion and what works best for us, but we think is is a great value to have everything pre-paid before we go and then just use the Card for admission to the parks, meals and room key. It works just like an S&S card would on a cruise.

JMO

:):)

I'd love to stay in the Contemporary, but that's not happening. :(

We don't need the rental car in Orlando. It was needed to get from the Miami cruise terminal to Orlando. We looked at flying and taking the train, but those take too long and would cost even more.

Based my earlier prices off staying at the Disney Pop Century.

DevCruise I have stayed at almost all of the DisneyWorld resorts and the Contemporary is my least favorite (besides Pop Century) belive me you are not missing anything . The only thing that is better is the arcade which used to be one of the best any where, and I have heard it is not as good or as big as it used to be .

DevCruise I have stayed at almost all of the DisneyWorld resorts and the Contemporary is my least favorite (besides Pop Century) belive me you are not missing anything . The only thing that is better is the arcade which used to be one of the best any where, and I have heard it is not as good or as big as it used to be .

I just remember seeing it as a kid with the monorail running through it. :)

All winter long Disney runs discount specials here that are advertised on tv. I've seen them as cheap at $73 per person per day for all meals, lodging, and tickets.

I'd book something then start stalking www.Mousesavers.com because they list ALL the Disney discount codes including the ones you would not see because you don't live in Florida. These are not Florida resident specific deals either.

It's been a long time since I've booked but Disney used to let you book, cancel, rebook as many times as you needed to get the cost down. Also, they don't tell you this; while the deal only goes until September 9th (or whatever date), as long as you start your vacation by that date, they'll give you the deal for your entire stay.

Good luck!

I agree with the disboards and mousesavers recommendations. Also, don't be afraid to look outside the gates for hotels...you can get a decent place that offers shuttles to the parks for a lot less than a Disney hotel.

I see you're in Chesapeake...on the off-chance that you're military or retired, or government worker, look into Shades of Green for hotel and tickets. Great place to stay, right across the street from the Poly, discount tickets, and all tax-free. That's where we usually stay, but last time we went we stayed at Caribbe Royale (DH had a conference there), which was also nice and offers frequent deals.

While Disney is expensive, it is possible to do in on the cheap...

Contemporary is not our favorite either.

we have stayed in the Poly and GF before, but the contemporary is the least expensive of the three.

We just want a room on the monorail. I don't care if it looks out over the dumpster.

There are tons of great deals off site....you can get a fully equipped villa for a fraction of what it costs to stay in Disney.

But again, we want to make the bet of our time prior to our cruise.

Not an official Disney Hotel, but the Best Western Downtown Disney -Lake Buena Vista is a decent hotel that has a shuttle to the parks and is directly across the street from Downtown Disney. There is a Disney bus stop right there. The rooms have balconies and some face the parks so you can see the fireworks at night. Not a bad deal if you're on a budget.

I believe it is a Disney Good Neighbor Hotel.

http://www.lakebuenavistaresorthotel.com/photos.htm?__utma=1.1252771607.1336495960.1336495960.1342393261.2&__utmb=1.4.10.1342393261&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1342393261.2.2.utmcsr=bing|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=best%20western%20downtown%20disney&__utmv=-&__utmk=236238209

Good luck to you.

I see you're in Chesapeake...on the off-chance that you're military or retired, or government worker, look into Shades of Green for hotel and tickets. Great place to stay, right across the street from the Poly, discount tickets, and all tax-free. That's where we usually stay, but last time we went we stayed at Caribbe Royale (DH had a conference there), which was also nice and offers frequent deals.

I've heard of Shades of Green. Unfortunately, I'm just a lowly scummy contractor. My dad is retired military, but he's not coming with us and from the way I read their site, he'd have to be there at the hotel with us.

While Disney is expensive, it is possible to do in on the cheap...

Let's hope....:)

All winter long Disney runs discount specials here that are advertised on tv. I've seen them as cheap at $73 per person per day for all meals, lodging, and tickets.

Wow! $73/day would make this a whole lot easier...:)

Not an official Disney Hotel, but the Best Western Downtown Disney -Lake Buena Vista is a decent hotel that has a shuttle to the parks and is directly across the street from Downtown Disney. There is a Disney bus stop right there. The rooms have balconies and some face the parks so you can see the fireworks at night. Not a bad deal if you're on a budget.

Thanks! I'll check this out. At least if I can't save on the tickets, I can at least trim off the hotel and get the total cost down.

Depending on when you plan on going, check out Disney's "Special Offers". They show free dining, and room rates for certain times.

We have stayed at Disney's Moderate, Value rooms and off Disney grounds. We now pick one of the Value rooms as we out at the parks most of the day and only return to have a swim and sleep.

Hey all....

My wife and I were looking at maybe hitting Disney World for two days following our NCL cruise in January. However, tickets are expensive! Looks cheaper to make our cruise a 4 day + 3 day back to back than to hit Disney after getting off our cruise.

Any suggestions?

Right now it's looking like $352 just for the tickets. $272 for a hotel for two days. And about $100 for a rental car to get us from Miami to Orlando. Haven't figured out food or airfare differences yet versus doing the round trip to/from Miami.

re SOG as a military contractor do you qualify as DOD as stated below?

O-4 thru O-10, CW-4, CW-5, Active and Retired DoD Civilians, Foreign Military assigned to a U.S. Military installation only, DoD Contractors assigned to a U.S. Military installation only.

Although you're sailing out of Miami might be worth your while to check into the cruises offered out of Port Canaveral to combine with WDW, an hour+ down the road.

I'm one of those disney nuts we've stayed @ the Contemporary Resort and Bay Lake Towers many times and never get enough of the view of the magic kingdom - as noted by the pic i took one year that serves as my avatar;). We've enjoyed all our visits, ranging from the values to deluxe resorts.

OP sign up for info on WDW site, sometimes pin codes are issued at great discounts (up to 40% off room rates) but not so much lately...moreso package deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see a free dining package or some form of a complimentary disney gift card promo released for January. The rates for 2013 just came out, the deals will follow.:)

re SOG as a military contractor do you qualify as DOD as stated below?

O-4 thru O-10, CW-4, CW-5, Active and Retired DoD Civilians, Foreign Military assigned to a U.S. Military installation only, DoD Contractors assigned to a U.S. Military installation only.

Good catch! I should qualify under the last part. Where did you find that? I checked this page (http://www.shadesofgreen.org/eligibility.htm) and it doesn't have that on it.

I'm one of those disney nuts we've stayed @ the Contemporary Resort and Bay Lake Towers many times and never get enough of the view of the magic kingdom - as noted by the pic i took one year that serves as my avatar;). We've enjoyed all our visits, ranging from the values to deluxe resorts.

Let me ask you this. Our cruise gets back Friday. Guessing we could make Disney by maybe 2pm at the latest on Friday. Was going to spend Friday/Saturday at the park with the idea of covering Epcot (Friday) and the Magic Kingdom (Saturday). Do you think it's doable?

OP sign up for info on WDW site, sometimes pin codes are issued at great discounts (up to 40% off room rates) but not so much lately...moreso package deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see a free dining package or some form of a complimentary disney gift card promo released for January. The rates for 2013 just came out, the deals will follow.:)

Will do. Also going to sign up for the mousesavers one somebody else mentioned above. Noticed that I could just recently book packages for 2013.

Have you bought your air,yet. You might want to fly into Miami, rent an one way car rental and fly home from Orlando. Once you are at Disney, you do not need a car. What would the cost be to fly from Miami to Orlando?

We are using a Budget code Y937800 (anybody can use) for Dec. Mousesavers might also have discount car rental codes.

Another site for Disney information is http://www.wdwinfo.com.

Have you bought your air,yet. You might want to fly into Miami, rent an one way car rental and fly home from Orlando. Once you are at Disney, you do not need a car. What would the cost be to fly from Miami to Orlando?

We are using a Budget code Y937800 (anybody can use) for Dec. Mousesavers might also have discount car rental codes.

Another site for Disney information is http://www.wdwinfo.com.

We are doing this exact thing after our cruise in December, even using Budget rental car. One thing though, I found it cheaper to actually keep the rental car for the three days we will be at WDW, because it includes unlimited miles. The one-day rental was going to cost me more because it only gave us 125 miles.

Our hotel has free parking, so we'll keep it and return it at Orlando Airport when we fly out, and we'll have it in case we want it. Make sure to check out both ways.

Archived