Brazil Visas

Keith1010

For those of you from the United States who will need a Brazil Visa for late this year into early next year I just wanted to note that this is a great time to apply for them as this is a slow time of the year. They are good for ten years so I recommend not waiting.

We sent ours to a Visa Service last Monday and by today (Wednesday) we had them. If we did it later in the year the turn around time would be quite a bit longer.

Keith

I used pinnacle tds documents.

There are many services out there.

For most state residents in the USA you need to provide just a copy of a drivers license and two visa photos and passport plus fill out a hard copy application, fill another kind on line and print of that first page. For a residents of about five states there is onr other requirement. It is all spelled out on the visa application.

Keith

For most state residents in the USA you need to provide just a copy of a drivers license and two visa photos and passport plus fill out a hard copy application, fill another kind on line and print of that first page. For a residents of about five states there is onr other requirement. It is all spelled out on the visa application.

You need to carefully read the internet site of the particular Brazilian Consulate which has jurisdiction over your residence. Each of them are a bit different in their requirements. (A visa service also has to comply with these requirements.)

The Brazilian Consulate that has jurisdiction over West Virginia is the one in Washington, DC.

Here is some visa info for that consulate:

http://www.consbrasdc.org/english/service.asp?id_en_service=14

http://www.consbrasdc.org/english/article.asp?id=10

Here is an example of the visa application form:

http://www.brazil-help.com/brazil_visaform.doc

do you send them your actual passport? We live in WV

The visa itself is a piece of paper pasted into your passport with various stamps around it, so yes, the Brazilian Consulate needs the actual passport.

Happy travels.

You need to carefully read the internet site of the particular Brazilian Consulate which has jurisdiction over your residence. Each of them are a bit different in their requirements. (A visa service also has to comply with these requirements.)

The Brazilian Consulate that has jurisdiction over West Virginia is the one in Washington, DC.

Here is some visa info for that consulate:

http://www.consbrasdc.org/english/service.asp?id_en_service=14

http://www.consbrasdc.org/english/article.asp?id=10

Here is an example of the visa application form:

http://www.brazil-help.com/brazil_visaform.doc

The visa itself is a piece of paper pasted into your passport with various stamps around it, so yes, the Brazilian Consulate needs the actual passport.

Happy travels.

Actually, the only thing that is state specific applies to seven states plus Puerto Rico. For these locations in addition to providing all of the other information that is required of all other United States locations if you live in one of these locations ( GA, AL, MS, NC, SC, TN, FL or PR) then you also need to provide photocopies of your last three bank statements with the account number redacted for security purposes.

In all other locations we needed to enclose two (2) photographs, one (1) completed visa application form for Brazil, and one (1) clear photocopy of your driver’s license or other state issued identification. The Brazilian visa application must also be completed online and one (1) cover sheet printed at the link shown herein to be included with your documents.

I just went through this less than two weeks ago so this is the most up to date requirements.

This is the third time I have gotten a visa for Brazil so I am aware of the ever changing requirements.

Keith

Actually, the only thing that is state specific applies to seven states plus Puerto Rico. For these locations in addition to providing all of the other information that is required of all other United States locations if you live in one of these locations ( GA, AL, MS, NC, SC, TN, FL or PR) then you also need to provide photocopies of your last three bank statements with the account number redacted for security purposes.

In all other locations we needed to enclose two (2) photographs, one (1) completed visa application form for Brazil, and one (1) clear photocopy of your driver’s license or other state issued identification. The Brazilian visa application must also be completed online and one (1) cover sheet printed at the link shown herein to be included with your documents.

I just went through this less than two weeks ago so this is the most up to date requirements.

This is the third time I have gotten a visa for Brazil so I am aware of the ever changing requirements.

Keith

Does the definition of "redacted" mean to obscure?

Sorry, but this is not a term I am familiar with.

Thanks,

TnT

Does the definition of "redacted" mean to obscure?

Sorry, but this is not a term I am familiar with.

Thanks,

TnT

It just means to remove it by drawing over it (eg. take a marker and line out the account number for security reasons)

Keith

Thanks Keith, that's what I thought, but wasn't quite sure. Bad enough to have to provide all that info to one place, and hope everyone's honest, but wanted to make sure all info required was provided.

Thanks again,

TnT

In fact, the site for the Consulate for the poster's state says:

"Required documents (the Consular Officer processing the visa can ask for additional documents if deemed necessary):

1. Two (2) receipt pages from VISA APPLICATION FORM per applicant, properly and completely filled in and signed by the applicant;

2. A passport valid for at least 6 months prior to its expiration date, and with at least one blank page available for the visa stamp;
  3. Two recent passport-size photos, front view, full face, either in color or black and white, with a light background (snapshots are not accepted);
  4. Travel Itinerary with confirmed round trip booking. If traveling by land, proof of financial capacity to pay for ones stay in Brazil;
  5. Visa fee, payable in US Postal Money Order only, as applicable (SEE VISA FEES TABLE); A non-refundable handling fee of US$20.00 per visa applies to visa applications submitted by mail or by any individual other than the applicant or an immediate member of his or her family;

1. Any application that shows “self-employed” or “unemployed” must be complemented with a current “Balance Account Bank Statement” with applicant’s name and address; "

In fact, the site for the Consulate for the poster's state says:

"Required documents (the Consular Officer processing the visa can ask for additional documents if deemed necessary):

1. Two (2) receipt pages from VISA APPLICATION FORM per applicant, properly and completely filled in and signed by the applicant;

2. A passport valid for at least 6 months prior to its expiration date, and with at least one blank page available for the visa stamp;
  3. Two recent passport-size photos, front view, full face, either in color or black and white, with a light background (snapshots are not accepted);
  4. Travel Itinerary with confirmed round trip booking. If traveling by land, proof of financial capacity to pay for ones stay in Brazil;
  5. Visa fee, payable in US Postal Money Order only, as applicable (SEE VISA FEES TABLE); A non-refundable handling fee of US$20.00 per visa applies to visa applications submitted by mail or by any individual other than the applicant or an immediate member of his or her family;

1. Any application that shows “self-employed” or “unemployed” must be complemented with a current “Balance Account Bank Statement” with applicant’s name and address; "

As I said we just applied and received our visas using a visa service. They will go over what is needed. I didn't try to include everything. Since we used a visa service (which I recommended) they took care of the actual payment as we paid them and they took care of the money order. We only provided one receipt page and if they provided two they took care of it.

The whole point of this thread was to let folks know that this is a great time to apply for a visa. I recommend using a visa service as they will spell out what is needed. Regardless, yes the key is to follow the instructions which is what we did and we received our visa and passports back in less than ten days from the time we sent them.

Keith

When I figured out all the fees for the two of us, it was cheaper for me to make two 180 mile round trips to Chicago to apply in person than to use a visa service. I could have saved more by applying by mail, however time was short and the rules were confusing.

When I figured out all the fees for the two of us, it was cheaper for me to make two 180 mile round trips to Chicago to apply in person than to use a visa service. I could have saved more by applying by mail, however time was short and the rules were confusing.

For some this is the way to go, but for others who either can't take the time off from work or live too far from the consulate their options are to apply directly or to use a service.

Keith

For some this is the way to go, but for others who either can't take the time off from work or live too far from the consulate their options are to apply directly or to use a service.

Keith

My consulate office is in Chicago. It is about a 5 hour drive for me. I guess I need to make an appointment if I want to get the visa there. Can you get it the same day or apply there and then have it mailed? What is the procedure if you actually go to the office instead of using a service?

My consulate office is in Chicago. It is about a 5 hour drive for me. I guess I need to make an appointment if I want to get the visa there. Can you get it the same day or apply there and then have it mailed? What is the procedure if you actually go to the office instead of using a service?

This is the web site for the Chicago Brazilian Consulate and it will show you exactly what you need to do if you want to do it in person. No, you can't wait for it. You would have to come back on the day it was ready. If this was me I would do it with a service but that is my opinion.

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

Keith

I cannot begin to describe the process accurately enough to help you. I spent hours reading the website and rereading the website and taking notes. Had I been able to figure out the mailing fees I would have chosen that option. There was an online application involved.

I approached an empty window at the consulate to find that I had not taken a numbered ticket as required. While waiting my turn, I saw two people refused for not having their application in order. Another couple drove in thinking they could just present their passports and get visas. No way.

Visas could be denied for being rude to staff.

When all was said and done our applications went without a glitch. I dropped our passports and applications off one day and had to return a few days later to pick them up.

A visa service will hold your hand through the application process. If you do it yourself, study, study, study!

I cannot begin to describe the process accurately enough to help you. I spent hours reading the website and rereading the website and taking notes. Had I been able to figure out the mailing fees I would have chosen that option. There was an online application involved.

I approached an empty window at the consulate to find that I had not taken a numbered ticket as required. While waiting my turn, I saw two people refused for not having their application in order. Another couple drove in thinking they could just present their passports and get visas. No way.

When all was said and done our applications went without a glitch. I dropped our passports and applications off one day and had to return a few days later to pick them up.

A visa service will hold your hand through the application process. If you do it yourself, study, study, study!

Good advice.

You pay more using the visa service but the good ones walk you through the entire process and that is a big help.

Keith

My consulate office is in Chicago. It is about a 5 hour drive for me.

If I faced a 5 hour drive to the Consulate, I'd also pay for a service. Well worth it in that case, compared to the time lost.

Sometimes you can attempt to jolly them out of their bad attitude, especially if you speak any Portuguese. But some of them think this is reciprocity for the treatment of Brazilians applying for U.S. visas, who are, in truth, often treated badly at the U.S. Consulates in Brazil, sometimes by Brazilian staff there. I complained once regarding treatment of a Brazilian friend whom I had accompanied, asking to see a supervisor, and she was literally thrown out on the very hot street while I was allowed to wait inside in the a.c. until a U.S. supervisor could make time to see us both. I was shocked.

Questions:

What you you use for proof of travel plans if you haven't made final payment yet... or should we wait until after final payment in November for Feb 2 departure?

What do we put for employment as we are both retired?

We are in NM and will use Houston consulate. I expect to use a service. Thanks, m--

Questions:

What you you use for proof of travel plans if you haven't made final payment yet... or should we wait until after final payment in November for Feb 2 departure?

What do we put for employment as we are both retired?

We are in NM and will use Houston consulate. I expect to use a service. Thanks, m--

Our service took care of the verification of the cruise.

If you are retired you put Retired - and next to the dash you put what your former position was. Below it on line 15 put the name of your former company. On line 17, and 18 put the address of the company. If the company no longer is in business or located there just put N/A

Keith

Archived