Help with choosing a cruise

Denjules

Hello this is my first post to this site and I have read many of the threads and they have been really helpful but I was wondering if I could ask for some advice on the selection of the correct cruise for my parents. They are in their late 60's and my father has serve mobility problems he can walk a few yards but generally he uses a manual wheelchair and scooter. They are interested in doing a cruise January 2007 and I was wondering which cruise liner would best suit them. I know they are looking for sunshine and the cruise itself is more important than the destinations. I know this is a bit vague but any help would be appreciated.

since you have been reading the boards you already know the absolute necessity of getting him a handicapped accessible cabin to accomodate the wheelchair and/or scooter. the newer, bigger ships offer more such cabins than some of the smaller ships. january sunshine would mean the caribbean I think, and which itinerary would not be that important. where do they live; do they have to fly to say miami or ft lauderdale? in any case it is recommended that he take both a manual wheelchair and a scooter - the scooter for use while onboard; the manual for shore trips since some ports are not suited for a scooter. if he has to fly to board the ship and is very mobility impaired, he will need a manual chair at the airport anyhow. we have recently been on HAL and RCCL and find that the Radiance class of RCCL are the most accessible with automatic door openers, ramps, etc. which ever cruise line you choose, i suggest you talk directly with someone in their "special needs" department - phone numbers are on one of the threads here. they will be of great help to you. but keep in mind that only a few accessible cabins are available on any ship and they are reserved very far ahead of time. in other words, the ship and itinerary may well be determined by what cabins are still available:) whether you go through a travel agent or directly to the cruise line is your choice, but some TAs are not very familiar and helpful with handicapped needs, but then again, you may find one that is.

If they are on the West Coast (or it is closer to fly there), I would recommend either a Mexican Riviera cruise (RCCL, Celebrity or Princess) or for a longer trip, the 15 day round trip from LA to Hawaii in the Island Princess. Best to book ASAP...many of these cruises are already sold out in their accessible cabins.

(KLD)

Yes, you will need a H/C cabin. do take both wheelchair and scooter. Both are allowed free of charge on planes under your ADA. Round trip Hawaii would be a good trip for them but has 8 sea days. The Caribbean would be good for them too. If they are near NY then they can go from ther.

One extra piece of advice, ensure that they go on the newer larger ships only. Those that have been built since 1999 will have more things set up for your father. Celebrity would also be good but only their Millium Class ships. Princess has anytime dining which would be good for them if they need a certain time to eat due to meds. Ensure that they get insurance as soon as you book the cruise to cover pre-existing illness. Good luck.

Archived