Chichen Itza and Merida

peargirl

I will be taking a cruise on Carnival. Our Port of arrival will be Progressor. We will in there from 7:00 am - 3:00pm. We would like to visit Chichen Itza and Merida, but are not sure if time will allow us to do this.

Has anybody ever done this? Any information or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks.

Afraid you will have to choose just one. Chichen Itza is over 4 h ours on a bus. Merida is only 30 minutes ea way on a bus. Either one is definitely worth the effort. The ruins of Uxmal are just a little less time on the bus than Chichen Itza and more impressive as well as less crowded.

hdawson,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Base on what I've seen you are an expert in this area. What do you recommend we visit and/or do so we can get the most for our time...and money of course.

Pearlgirl. I think you will see and enjoy more by visiting Merida. Ask at the plaza where the courtesy bus drops you for directions to the regular bus terminal. It's three blocks. Bus is $3.00 RT and takes 30 minutes. When you leave the Merida terminal turn right and the central plaza is another 3 block walk. There you can explore the Casa Montejo, built in 1549 and the Cathedral built in 1561. There are shops and eaterys all around the plaza. Then standing in front of and facing the Cathedral stroll to the left on Calle 60 stopping at a sidewalk cafe for refreshments. Take a carriage ride to tour the Paseo Montejo. Fifty minutes and only $20.00.

• 1 month later...

You've mentioned three of my favourite places in the world: Merida, Chichen, and Uxmal... But to do them right you need at least most of a day to reach and see each. Chichen is about halfway between Merida and Cancun and not something I'd want to try if I had a ship to catch later in the day.

To truly explore and enjoy either Uxmal or Chichen, you need at least a half a day. They are magnificent and awe inspiring. If you like art, history, photography, and/or culture; you definitely would want to spend time to see all the structures. There is variety in them so it's not like you walk through the gate, see a couple and go.

Chichen is one of the biggest Mayan sites (something like 1.5 by 3 miles in size). There is an older section which has the Observatory and the section where you enter that has the Castle, which are two of the most shown (in photos) structures.

Something to check into if you want to see a ruin site:

There is a smaller and older site called Dzibichaltun which if I remember correctly is just off the road between Progresso and Merida. It only had a few structures when I was there so it is more of a "look and go" site.

Merida is an awesome place. I loved bartering in the old market. Unless it has changed since I was there, a person could spend half a day, browsing and bartering.

As for shopping, I love the bags and clothing I got at a Miro Store in Coz. The company is based in Merida, I think, so you should be able to find at least one store. Symbol (logo) is a toucan bird on a white background.

There is a photo of the bags on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=7245731#post7245731

Have a great trip.

Archived