Formal shoes for men

Germancruiser

Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!

I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.

Michael

Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!

I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.

Michael

If you search the web, you'll find that the guardians of formal wear maintain that a tuxedo requires shiny black leather shoes, and I was so excited by the prospect of our first trip on QM2, that I bought a patent leather pair that I've enjoyed ever since. But most men don't go that far. I've seen all sorts of shoes accompany tuxedos on formal nights. As long as your shoes are black and have a simple toe, I think that you'll be perfectly at home. Of course, in matters sartorial such as this, Whitemarsh may indeed issue a more definitive judgment.

Thanks Thaxted- I also saw a lot of different " Styles" - even cowboyboots- which I must admit lookd great! I also saw some guys in ankle boots with high cuban heels- first they guy walked around , then I saw him sitting in a deck chair boots off- with obviously hurting feet- well I woulnd´t go THAT far! LOL.

Michael

A young man who was travelling with his male benefactor had the audacity to pass a little comment about me not wearing patent leather on formal night during the Jan TA on QM2.

Consequently, I took great personal pleasure in learning that his dinner suit was second hand, as were his scratched patent leather shoes.

Personally, I don't think it matters what shoes you wear with formal attire, so long as they are black, classic and well kept.

Just dont wear the same shoes twice in one sailing!

A young man who was travelling with his male benefactor had the audacity to pass a little comment about me not wearing patent leather on formal night during the Jan TA on QM2.

Consequently, I took great personal pleasure in learning that his dinner suit was second hand, as were his scratched patent leather shoes.

Personally, I don't think it matters what shoes you wear with formal attire, so long as they are black, classic and well kept.

Just dont wear the same shoes twice in one sailing!

It is amazing how people open up to you on these topics. I can't imagine how I could work either of these subjects into polite conversation with a relative stranger.

Although how can you reconcile the fact that he had a benefactor yet was so hard pressed for funds that he was forced to wear a second hand suit?

It is amazing how people open up to you on these topics. I can't imagine how I could work either of these subjects into polite conversation with a relative stranger.

Although how can you reconcile the fact that he had a benefactor yet was so hard pressed for funds that he was forced to wear a second hand suit?

Gay men tend to be a little more open about their lives I find. Sometimes too open!

The second hand attire matter was interesting. Apparently the dinner suit and shoes were his late father's and had sentimental value. That's what the young one said to me (he was actually quite a snide critter - especially when he had the gall to criticise my shoes while sporting scratched patent leather). However, his benefactor made a comment later in the voyage that he shouldn't have to pay for everything (he footed the airfares and their Grills accommodation). I'm inclined to believe the latter (I wouldn't be so cruel as to take pleasure at someone wearing a keepsake suit). That said, their whole arrangement was weird.

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't the happiest of relationships. I did wonder at first whether there was a little bit of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman going on. But it's not really my business.

Nothing against their special relationship. Each to their own. I simply take offense to unwarranted criticism of my elegant footwear :)

Gay men tend to be a little more open about their lives I find. Sometimes too open!

The second hand attire matter was interesting. Apparently the dinner suit and shoes were his late father's and had sentimental value. That's what the young one said to me (he was actually quite a snide critter - especially when he had the gall to criticise my shoes while sporting scratched patent leather). However, his benefactor made a comment later in the voyage that he shouldn't have to pay for everything (he footed the airfares and their Grills accommodation).

I got the distinct impression that it wasn't the happiest of relationships. I did wonder at first whether there was a little bit of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman going on. But it's not really my business.

Nothing against their special relationship. I simply take offense to unwarranted criticism of my elegant footwear :)

I wonder if the playwright David Williamson met up with this pair on the QM2 crossing which inspired his forthcoming play to be produced in Sydney next year (the subject of a previous thread)?

From what you have described, it does not seem to me that either the benefactor or the recipient of the so-called largesse had any class at all.

It is interesting to hear about some of the more unusual characters people meet on board.

I wonder if the playwright David Williamson met up with this pair on the QM2 crossing which inspired his forthcoming play to be produced in Sydney next year (the subject of a previous thread)?

From what you have described, it does not seem to me that either the benefactor or the recipient of the so-called largesse had any class at all.

It is interesting to hear about some of the more unusual characters people meet on board.

I heard of a lady wearing fake pearls masquerading as royalty. Not sure what kind of shoes she wore on formal night.

I heard of a lady wearing fake pearls masquerading as royalty. Not sure what kind of shoes she wore on formal night.

Perhaps she was royalty fallen on hard times? I notice that a lot of the Italian and German minor royalty have been selling off so-called "noble" jewels through Sothebys in recent times.

It is amazing that the QM2 is full of fake pearl spotters. A lot of people would not be so observant.

I have also been told of the presence of minor royalty on QM2 by a gentleman whose contact with royalty was extensive, and who played polo with the Prince of Wales in his polo team before the Prince of Wales retired from that sport.

It is amazing that the QM2 is full of fake pearl spotters. A lot of people would not be so observant.

It sounds rather vampirish to me. I test pearls using the teeth method.

'Excuse me Madam, may I bite your pearls? Yes, those pretty ones around your neck.' ;)

'Excuse me Madam, may I bite your pearls? Yes, those pretty ones around your neck.' ;)

Fantasy...I was choking I was laughing so hard. :D:D

maggiemou: You and your husband sure do enjoy the finer aspects of Cunard re: fashion. So nice to see people take such pleasure in dressing up.

best regards to all,

seasidegal

Perhaps she was royalty fallen on hard times? I notice that a lot of the Italian and German minor royalty have been selling off so-called "noble" jewels through Sothebys in recent times.

There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...). You are refferring to families with a long history of major land lease or land ownership. A lot of them don't really own anything anymore but their heired art and jewel collections. Some of these have no idea of how to survive without selling their goods (or using the men's room when under pressure...).

BTW. This guy with the men's room problem is part of the English Royals, isn't he?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...). You are refferring to families with a long history of major land lease or land ownership. A lot of them don't really own anything anymore but their heired art and jewel collections. Some of these have no idea of how to survive without selling their goods (or using the men's room when under pressure...).

BTW. This guy with the men's room problem is part of the English Royals, isn't he?

Gesendet von meinem Transformer TF101 mit Tapatalk 4

It is indeed a strange situation that the Weimar Constitution of 1919 declared all Germans equal before the law, yet the various noble titles continued through incorporation into surnames.

It is a kind of "fake" nobility that still continues today in Germany. Yes, I have noticed how many families seem to fund their lifestyles by selling off what they have retained from their former days of prosperity.

As to the remainder of your post, I am unable to comment.

Memo to Self

If cruising on the same ship as Fantasy51, employ garlic on a regular basis and remember to leave pearls at home.

As to the remainder of your post, I am unable to comment.

Some possible future King of England, probably Scotland and all the other slaves decided to relief himself in open public during the EXPO2000 in his residential town...

Fortunately he would never ever use a common liner for travelling.

It's nice living in a republic

Good heavens.......sometimes it's good to get clarification. I thought you were talking about prostitution in the men's room to earn money. That would indeed have been a long drop from the noble days. :eek:

Sorry, I didn't realize this as I have no experience in other than standard use of such facilities.

There isn't such as a "German royalty". We are a federal republic. Our royal familiy left the country by 1918 for good (and _how_good_ thas was...).
Says here that His Royal Highness the Duke of Bavaria still lives in an apartment in the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich.

It also observes that royal titles have no legal standing in Germany, and that Franz's legal surname is Herzog von Bayern (which translates to 'Duke of Bavaria'). :)

I prefer to bring my tuxedo shoes but for someone who doesn't they can wear a shiny black shoe.

Keith

Yes, I wear well shined good quality black slip ons as, traveling in carry ons, shoes must do more than one thing. I have black patent leather but in my size just too big to carry along with regular dress shoes and casual shoes. Once had a pair of patent leather formal shoes that were very uncomfortable. Had a ceremony on deck with new friends on QE2 on the last formal night. Consigned the shoes to the deep.:eek: It was already very late but no one noticed me in stocking feet the rest of the night. The "Good Old Days". Hate to say it but I even smoked back then.:eek::D

Very interessting comments and what a curiuos turn for a " shoe " thread to a little german royality- not that there is such left. What we stll have is " the german nobility" - some keep their castles extremly well- opened to the public and such. Others more embarrasing- depends on how deep the inbreeding and therefor the shrunken brain to the size of a dryed pea goes. LOL!

Jim- you even through them unconfortable ones overboard, wouw what a waste. LOL!

Says here that His Royal Highness the Duke of Bavaria still lives in an apartment in the Nymphenburg Palace in Munich.

It also observes that royal titles have no legal standing in Germany, and that Franz's legal surname is Herzog von Bayern (which translates to 'Duke of Bavaria'). :)

Now wait a second...that's a quote from a Mel Brooks film

(or maybe not):confused::eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIID_TGwhM:D

Archived