booking a tour on arrival in Phillipsburg?

eastwestmom

Hi,

I am overwhelmed with packing and doing last minute research, and still do not have a tour booked in St. Maarten. Does anyone know if it will be impossible to find some sort of boat tour when we arrive in Phillipsburg? Looking to go around the island with a stop for snorkel and Maho. I just don't have time to book something now, leaving Friday for Florida.

TIA

You can always grab a Taxi tour of the island on arrival, but I think the chances of snagging an around-the-island boat tour upon arrival range between slim and none.

Around the island choices are limited and are probably well booked in advance

It seems there might be time before Friday if you have ANYTHING in mind, but I'd consider a ship excursion.

gary

"Around the island" is a very long trip....probably not even doable in the time you have available. I would suggest doing a morning boat tour with your snorkel stop and then a stop at Maho in the early afternoon. That time is the most BIG planes between 1-4pm.

Make sure you allow time for traffic, which can get very bad on your afternoon return from Maho....allow at least 30 mins to get to Maho and 45 mins for the return.

Can't recommend a boat tour, but there are lots of other posts here for such. If this is your first time on St Maarten dont miss the opportunity to stop by the main beach in town and the shops in town. One of the reasons St Maarten is one of my favorite islands is that souvenirs are very inexpensive compared to other islands and the chairs and drinks and services on the beach are very affordable. Typically $2-3 for a beer, $1 for water and $15 gets you 2 chairs, an umbrella and 2 drinks. Can't beat it.

Everything always tastes better when its a good deal :)

For a last minute boat trip I would suggest going to the shore excursion desk and see what they have available. You can check the port review section for St. Maarten for reviews and then you will be equipped to make a decision once you know what's available. It will be a good way to kill some time at the airport or at the port before you board. Have a wonderful cruise!

You can always grab a Taxi tour of the island on arrival, but I think the chances of snagging an around-the-island boat tour upon arrival range between slim and none.

Around the island choices are limited and are probably well booked in advance

It seems there might be time before Friday if you have ANYTHING in mind, but I'd consider a ship excursion.

gary

We had no problem snagging an around the island tour a couple of years ago at the taxi stand.

Agreed, but the Original Poster was asking about an around-the-island boat tour.

gary

The boat tour part slipped by me. That's the problem sometimes with reading posts on my phone. I wouldn't expect it to be possible to book a boat tour without arranging it in advance.

Edited by Charles4515

"Around the island" is a very long trip....probably not even doable in the time you have available. I would suggest doing a morning boat tour with your snorkel stop and then a stop at Maho in the early afternoon. That time is the most BIG planes between 1-4pm.

Make sure you allow time for traffic, which can get very bad on your afternoon return from Maho....allow at least 30 mins to get to Maho and 45 mins for the return.

Can't recommend a boat tour, but there are lots of other posts here for such. If this is your first time on St Maarten dont miss the opportunity to stop by the main beach in town and the shops in town. One of the reasons St Maarten is one of my favorite islands is that souvenirs are very inexpensive compared to other islands and the chairs and drinks and services on the beach are very affordable. Typically $2-3 for a beer, $1 for water and $15 gets you 2 chairs, an umbrella and 2 drinks. Can't beat it.

Everything always tastes better when its a good deal :)

I like seeing the KLM from Amsterdam land. It's my faviorite and I make sure that I see it come in at least once or twice each time that I vacation in St. Maarten in the summer. I have seen it land before 11 before but most often it comes in between 11 and 12. There are always planes and there will be some in the mid afternoon but then the drive back to port takes longer due to bridge openings and congestion. The KLM only comes in twice a week though in the summer so check the airplane schedule before you go in case it comes in on your port day. The atmosphere at Maho on KLM day is a blast.;):D

Edited by Karysa