HELP finding car service from CT/Red Hook

alprzy

Has anyone used a car service from central CT to the Red Hook piers? My normal service used for business travel to the NY/NJ airports does not have a permit for Red Hook and won't till end of the summer. (I wasn't aware that you needed one).

I'm travelling on the Crown Princess 7/2 and know the Cunard travellers have more experience at this pier.

Any help is appreciated, thanx.

Alprzy

I encountered the same difficulty with the car service I usually use--no permit. I was told that you need a permit to enter the Red Hook facility. Otherwise they can only pick up and drop off at the gate--several blocks from the terminal. This was not a problem in Manhattan as many car companies just parked on city streets.

We were on the first westbound TA to use Red Hook. We ended up taking a taxi-which worked well for us.

Yeagh, they do need a permit for Red Hook. They applied for it but said it takes over a month to get back.

Doesn't leave me many options besides driving direct and parking.

I did a bus from CT to the Manhattan bus station for the last cruise from the "normal" piers and had to grab a cab to the ship, but with 4 people and luggage you're almost guaranteed taking 2 cabs. And I don't get the fuzzies that the cabbies are too keen on going out to Brooklyn from midtown.

If anyone else has used a service that has the permits, I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks again for your help.

AlPrzy

I've commented on this before. Many people think the New York is a cross between Sodom and Gomorrah, particular from the suburbs. Red Hook is not a crime intensive area. Far from it. Its almost a dead area. With an extremely low crime rate. Much lower than most of the large cities in NJ(Newark or Trenton as examples). They would probably laugh at going to Newark and Trenton as well. In addition when the cruise ships are in, the local police are out to direct traffic. Traffic has been much better than expected, with very few traffic jams. I am sorry that they don't want to go but as time goes on they will come there and see it for themselves.

Its the 78 precint and you can see the crime stats at

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pct/cspdf.html

I live in the 84th pct which is next door....

From Fairfield County, we recently used a a limo company out of Yonkers, NY, to drive us down (to JFK) and pick us up at Red Hook. Not sure where you live in CT, but I know there some good ones in the Hartford area--I would call around and get some quotes.

This post was giving me concerns about my transportation arrangements. I spoke with the car service that I always use and they informed me that they have been to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal over 20 times without a problem getting in to the gate. Which, to me, says they do have a permit.

Transtar Executive 800 894 7827.

smeyer,

Why does NY always get bad press? I've lived here my entire life and have been to every borough and never had a problem. NYer's in general are great, caring, helpful people. Must be all those tough guy, down at the dock, in the projects films and TV shows that turns people's opinions.

All the best,

Sue

I think the last picture shot at this dock was from the war of the worlds(its the sceen where Tom Cruise is running the container crane)...NY has always had this reputation-at least for the last 30 or so years. The Docks were always kind of seedy---its just not that way anymore and hasn't been for a long time. The thing is that crime is always news(like fires) and even when crime is down 75% over 20 years ago one crime is big news- as it should be if it happens to you. It used to be that with crime so high in NY you didn't hear about every event. Now with crime so low the reporters are climbing over themselves to report everything.

and the best to you Sue...

Sid

The doorman at the Trump tower tried to get a cab that would take us to red hook for an hour, without success. This was at 2:00- hardly rush hour. I finally asked a cab to take us to the queen mary berth. When we were loaded I told him it was now in Brooklyn- he was not happy, but took us. Next time I would definitely book a car service in advance.

I really don't see the problem. They are required to or they will lose their license. Next time just tell him to get you a cab get into it and if they give you a problem let me know and I'll make sure they lose their license....no kidding...get the cab number the time and the drivers name. Also they come over the brooklyn bridge all the time.

I really liked the Red Hook terminal. I was very pleasantly surprised this weekend. As much as Port Liberty is an improvement over the westside piers, Red Hook is an improvement over Port Liberty.

We drove down Sunday morning, took us 3 hours from Providence, RI. Returning Tuesday, we got on the road about 9am.. and it took us 4 hours to return.

Cabs and busses were pulling along side the terminal building. There was a long line of black towncars parked along the street just outside the terminal (You go straight upon exiting the terminal to get to the BQE, the towncars were parked on the road to your immediate left).

First terminal I've been in with wall to wall carpeting!

I parked my car for the nights we were on the inaugural and the car was fine.

Entertainment Tours of Taunton, MA has been running bus service from New England to Red Hook. I believe they also make a stop in New Haven. However, I do not know if they have departures for all ships. I am using them for the Crown Princess... and Manhattan departures.

ocngypz, Did you drive in on 95? Lst time we went down the Sawmill. We were afraid to brave 95!

Alprz, Did you check with CT Limo, Arrow tours, (buses and Limo) Ambassador Limo (they have those 18 passenger buses, too. I went to a baseball game in one of those.) I'm planning on driving down for Labor Day. And i'll be driving down for the Buffett Show at Jones Beach- but I'll go on the Port Jeff Ferry coming over- then head for Brooklyn to see the new pier and get the lay of the land, I hope. Then home up the West Side. Maybe Hudson River Pkway or 278? Sawmill or Palisades Pkwy (Yeah, I don't know my way around NYC!)

I thought about calling a former co-worker who is doing the sypsy limo thing. Decided we'd rather have the car there for the 12 day in January. I just like loading up the luggge and going. Stop when we want to get home when we want to.

Karie, who is starting to figure out where everything is!

P.S. Where are you from in CT? We live in Colchester. I work in Rocky Hill and worked 15 years in New Haven. SNET, now Cingular 27 years total! bewteen SNET and Cingular (spin-off)

Sorry, I did not see if there is handicapped parking, but I should think there would be. I was a little busy.. following directions. I'll ask my navigator.

I took 95 S... over the Whitestone to the Van Wyck S...to the LIE W to the BQE.. Exit 26 Hamilton Ave... make the first left.. then left again to reverse direction. and keep going straight into the terminal area. Everything is very well signposted with blue and white signs.

Piece of cake.

On the return, it is straight out of the terminal.. and then bear left onto the BQE.

One suggestion on the directions. In stead of the Hamilton Avenue exit when coming down the BQE take the Atlantic Avenue exit make a left on CColumbia and then the first right and follow that around to the entrance. Its shorter and much faster---

travel-to-go

Thanx for the info, I am now trying to get a loyal family member to do a drop off and pick up but a bus that went direct to the piers like ocngypz mentions may be an alternate solution. I may give them a call.

I live in Cheshire which is 15 minutes north of New Haven, but I also work in Rocky Hill for the last 14 years.

Alprzy

I really don't see the problem. They are required to or they will lose their license. Next time just tell him to get you a cab get into it and if they give you a problem let me know and I'll make sure they lose their license....no kidding...get the cab number the time and the drivers name. Also they come over the brooklyn bridge all the time.

It was advice like this that convinced me not to book a car, but take my chances with a taxi. Big mistake. I am not interested in whether or not the cabbie keeps his license, I just wanted to get to the terminal, and the doorman, who was well tipped, and I presume knows how to hail a cab, could not find a cab that would take us there.

RE: redhook, looked like something out of singing in the rain- charming, I plan to go back and walk around on my next new york visit.

It was advice like this that convinced me not to book a car, but take my chances with a taxi. Big mistake. I am not interested in whether or not the cabbie keeps his license, I just wanted to get to the terminal, and the doorman, who was well tipped, and I presume knows how to hail a cab, could not find a cab that would take us there.

RE: redhook, looked like something out of singing in the rain- charming, I plan to go back and walk around on my next new york visit.

I hate to tell you my feeling is that its a poor doorman. He knows what the rules are and can tell the cab either you take this client or you will never pick up at my door again...that's the way the doorman EARNS the tip..

To in earlier posting on this thread. Yes crime rate may not be as bad as one assumes, but lets faces it Red Hook has a bad name. In recent news by local newspaper and TV channels reports the police have cracked down on drugs deals in the housing projects (only a few blocks away from the terminal), the city trying to clean up the rampant rat problem. The best report was when QM2 arrived at the terminal for the first time; some of the locals had to “salute the Queen” by pulling down their pants and mooning. They even were quoted in the NY Daily News.

So why would anyone in right mind want to really drive through RedHook? Sailing from there is bad enough. Look at what many of us will have a view of: http://worldshipny.com/ (scroll down for the picture of the abandon building next to the terminal.

To in earlier posting on this thread. Yes crime rate may not be as bad as one assumes, but lets faces it Red Hook has a bad name. In recent news by local newspaper and TV channels reports the police have cracked down on drugs deals in the housing projects (only a few blocks away from the terminal), the city trying to clean up the rampant rat problem. The best report was when QM2 arrived at the terminal for the first time; some of the locals had to “salute the Queen” by pulling down their pants and mooning. They even were quoted in the NY Daily News.

So why would anyone in right mind want to really drive through RedHook? Sailing from there is bad enough. Look at what many of us will have a view of: http://worldshipny.com/ (scroll down for the picture of the abandon building next to the terminal.

LOL that abandoned factory is the New Fairway market...The Daily news writer and I had a discussion and she said she walk talking tongue in cheek she lives in Cobble Hill. Yes some of the people who don't want any development in Red Hook mooned the QM2 but they were mostly illegal aliens from the IRA...

They are opening a restuarant on the second floor of the Fairway--I can't wait to go...

You know you don't say where you are from but believe me the people from the Projects are mostly god fearing hard working people---anyone convicted of a crime is evicted...

That doesn't look like an abadoned building! That looks like a classic OLD building. Built when they made them with style- cornices and frescoes and such... I'l bet that no matter where any of us are from, there are some "bad" parts of town. And I don't get the feeling this is, not any more. It is being gentrified. Art galleries are popping up all over the place. yep Common Criminals love to hang around and visit coffee shops, and art galleries. They probably shoot up back behind the Monet! Look folks,. On the Waterfront was over 50 years ago! The Projects have been much reduced in density, and cleaned up considerably. And people who live in projects are people too! Some of them have done done much for themselves, just like some middle class or wealthy people. But many of them never had the opportunities and expectations that most of us had. If a child grows up being told he or she will go to college, they do what is necessary to get there. If they are given no hope, nor expectation that the goal is attainable, the lead make-do lives, sometimes. I say give Brooklyn a chance.

They say such nice things about you! <G>

Karie,

who suspects some people have watched too many B movies!

Frankly, most piers (including the Manhattan Terminal) are not in the most "desirable" areas. While the NY Passenger Ship Terminal may have more activity around it, the area itself is old and crowded with lots of warehouses and garages across the street. While it's exciting sailing from there during the day, I wouldn't necessarily be comfortable going through that area at night. I suspect that, over time, the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal and surrounding area will undergo a major renovation and "gentrification". I doubt that Cunard and Princess would have their newest and "best" ships going out of an area that did not have adequate security. I can't speak about driving through Red Hook to get to the pier...we'll all have to wait til September for me to comment on that. With the exception of Hamilton harbor (Bermuda), I found that most of the pier areas I've visited are in the more "industrial", less developed areas.

However, as a native New Yorker (born and raised in the South Bronx), I'm not worried about the trip to the pier...I'll just put on my "don't mess with me" NY face and snarl at anyone who comes near me:) .

I agree with Karie...lets give Red Hook a chance. The Brooklyn political machine knows a good thing when it sees it...and having Cunard and Princess docking in their borough provides them with a great opportunity to generate revenue and invest in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Archived