The Dream and the Sewage Smell

We just got off the Dream this morning and for the most part we had a wonderful time. The staff was WONDERFUL, the food was ok and the ship was maintained very well. BUT, trust me when I tell you, the sewage smell is REAL!! We were on the Vista deck and you could smell sewage at the aft of the ship. It was worst in our room. I am not sure how the ship is designed, but on Thursday, our bathroom floor was full of water and bleach. Once we notified the steward, he qucikly came, mopped the floor and apologized. DH and I could not figure what was wrong, but as the day went on, we figured that the room steward must have used it to try to combat the smell. By this morning, the stench was so bad my nostrils were burning (we had air freshner and a Renuzit). Does anyone know the cause of the stench?

Oh my...I would be gagging! So, if I may, is this problem only on the Dream? Or is it an issue with this class of ship? I'm an aft cabin gal and I would be totally bummed if I was smelling that! I've never encountered it (mainly sail Conquest class)

Oh my...I would be gagging! So, if I may, is this problem only on the Dream? Or is it an issue with this class of ship? I'm an aft cabin gal and I would be totally bummed if I was smelling that! I've never encountered it (mainly sail Conquest class)

No problems with the Breeze as for sewage smells.

The Dream has more of a sewage smell than any in carnivals fleet.

Don't know why they cant seem to get that right on the Dream.

Never had a sewage smell, did have a strong marine paint smell once. Called guest services and they put an ion (think that's what it was called) machine in the room for 30 minutes and the smell was gone.

I just got off the Breeze today and may I just have a sensitive nose but that sewage smell was very strong many, many times and not just at the Aft of the ships either. Also many ppl commented whenever we were in a "smell zone." I have never been on the Dream so I couldn't compare the 2 but I can tell you that I've been on the Destiny and Triumph once each and the Freedom twice and I had never smelled any sewage smells at all on those ships. It was very strong and prevalent on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got off the Breeze today and maybe I just have a sensitive nose but that sewage smell was very strong many, many times and not just at the Aft of the ships either. Also many ppl commented whenever we were in a "smell zone." I have never been on the Dream so I couldn't compare the 2 but I can tell you that I've been on the Destiny and Triumph once each and the Freedom twice and I had never smelled any sewage smells at all on those ships. It was very strong and prevalent on the Breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm. Strange. Wonder why its on that ship and not others with the same design? Seem weird.
We were on Valor two weeks ago, and we smelled The Smell there too

-often in the oddest of places.

Just off Breeze last week...cabin 8439....sewage smell so bad I had to hold air freshner up to my nose to fall asleep....just seemed to happen at night....I did let the cabin attendant know.....also smelled sewage in various places thru out the ship

I was on the Dream back in 2010, it was still very new. The smell would appear in a hallway occasionally. But it was infrequent and I could guess there would be plenty of people that smelled it and plenty that did not.

One thing I've never had confirmed by others was a horrid rotten smell out on Lido one day. It was maybe only for an hour and it smelled like rotten food, not sewage. My guess, and only a guess, was the ship was dumping garbage waste. Anyone ever notice something like that? Heck, maybe the ship was just passing through some garbage and churned it up.

We were on the Dream June 8-15. I smelled it only once when I went to deck 2 to walk through since I could not get through on Deck 3. I was pretty bad. Our cabin was on deck 9 so it never got up that far.

We have been on several cruises including the dream and there is always the occasional sewage smell. But growing up vacationing in an RV and trailers, it is to be expected. Never bothered me in the least. When you have a self contained system, smells will be there.

Sailed the Dream three times, all of them in a cove balcony stateroom, and, yes, I have smelled the smell.

Not too bad, maybe a whiff in the hallways every not and then, not ever in the stateroom.

Maybe it is a Dream Class problem?

Anyhoo, I would not hesitate to sail any of Carnival's ships! Love Them All!

I've smelled the smell on the Dream, the Triumph, the Magic, the Miracle, the Ruby Princess, etc, etc, etc. My 2 times on Dream, I caught a couple passing whiffs on one cruise, and never caught a whiff the next. This issue is not specific to the Dream or to Dream-style ships. This is a possible issue with any and every ship at sea. Most of the time, for almost everyone who happens to smell it, it's just a passing whiff here & there. For others, like the OP, it becomes a much worse problem. I cannot explain exactly how it happens, or why it seems to show up in such random spots, or why it will be in one area one week and then somewhere else the next. It may be gone from the room you stayed in within days of you getting off the ship. It could then be in another part of the ship entirely or nowhere at all.

For future Dream cruisers, just know that this is possible on any & every ship. There is no way to quantify whether it's more prevalent on Dream than on any other ship at sea. It was for the first few months, but since the fix, it doesn't seem to be any worse than any other ship at sea. Of course, that certainly is no comfort to someone who winds up in a situation like the OPs.

My worst encounter with this was on The Fantasy but I have experienced it on several cruises..ironically all CCL.

It is not pleasant. My iced tea on the Fantasy even smelled like sewage....obviously went to bottled sparkling water after one whiff of that.

Edited by halos

Sailed dream class 3 times also about 6 times on conquest class

Smelled little whiffs here and there on all trips

Just Assumed it was the 4 k people confined to a relative small space combined with a fascination with a lot of cheap foods like burritos and Mexican buffets