Ft. Lauderdale Taxis?

KJ136

I'm cruising this fall on a Transatlantic itinerary. I'm in the process of arranging how to get from point to point, and wondered how easy is it to get a taxi from the pier to the airport? Are there usually plenty of taxis available, or should I make arrangements in advance?

Edited by KJ136

We were pleasantly surprised at how quickly our porter got us through the debarkation line and promptly helped us get our luggage to a taxi after our cruise last December.

The taxis line up outside the terminal. You will not have any trouble getting one.

Happy cruising!

Easy is a relative term. If you are debarking on a Saturday or Sunday morning during the busy winter season there is a huge demand for taxis. The queues are well organized and the port tries to control the flow of taxis to each of the many piers. But demand can exceed supply which means you might find yourself in a long queue waiting for your turn. The waiting time can vary from a few minutes to over a half hour, so plan accordingly.

Hank

There are loads of taxis when the ships are disembarking. Depending upon traffic and lights, your fare should be between $10-$15 as mentioned above. Watch to be sure they put the meter on. We have known them to 'forget'.

There are loads of transport options from Port Everglades.

Knowing what day of the week, and what time your flight is, will get you more specific answers.

And all of the above responses appear to assume you are headed for Ft Lauderdale airport, not Miami. Correct? Since you are sailing from across the pond I would first assume that is where you are flying back to (which would be from MIA not FLL).

I take taxis a lot, and I must say the organisation at the port in FLL is top notch. I've never had to wait longer than 5 minutes before getting a cab.

However, a little waiting time might of course occur. But I've never seen people wait because there were no more taxis available as there's a constant flow.

And all of the above responses appear to assume you are headed for Ft Lauderdale airport, not Miami. Correct? Since you are sailing from across the pond I would first assume that is where you are flying back to (which would be from MIA not FLL).

Also, since you are doing a trans-Atlantic cruise, be aware that disembarkation can go MUCH slower than for a more typical Caribbean cruise. This is due to the extra scrutiny by CBP because the ship (and crew) haven't been the US for many months. We've done several trans-Atl and have run the gamut from a 'normal' disembarkation to still waiting at 10:30-11:00. Like Keith said - give plenty of time before your flight.

After a TA in January, I took a shuttle van from the pier to the airport. Traveling solo it was a little cheaper than a taxi...

Yes, this is the only time I would recommend someone take one of the shared shuttle vans. We almost made that mistake, family of 4 at $8.00 per person - ridiculous! Thankfully before we got in, we realized this was a shared ride and not just a regular taxi to the airport.