Terrible news for Port Vila / Cyclone Pam

It's absolutely devastating. I feel so sorry for the people of Vanuatu and other islands affected by this monster cyclone.

The really dreadful thing is that Cyclone Nathan, currently off the coast of Far North Queensland, is also predicted to hit Vanuatu next week. :eek: A double whammy! :(

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Our first ever cruise leaves Sydney tomorrow and would have been due in Port Vila on Thursday. I have been excitedly reading up on Vanuatu for a month or two now and I'm so devastated for the locals there.

Silence from Carnival on where we will be going instead but I'm assuming it will not be the 3 ports they had scheduled in Vanuatu. I guess Carnival are still assessing the situation. Especially with cyclone Nathan also nearby. I hope we will skip Vanuatu altogether and leave them to tidy up in peace. It can't be safe there for anyone at the moment. I've decided that we will donate the value of the spending money we had set aside for those ports to the rescue effort.

Feels extremely selfish to even worry about where the cruise will go when you see what people have lost. I guess it will be a mystery cruise.

Our first ever cruise leaves Sydney tomorrow and would have been due in Port Vila on Thursday. I have been excitedly reading up on Vanuatu for a month or two now and I'm so devastated for the locals there.

Silence from Carnival on where we will be going instead but I'm assuming it will not be the 3 ports they had scheduled in Vanuatu. I guess Carnival are still assessing the situation. Especially with cyclone Nathan also nearby. I hope we will skip Vanuatu altogether and leave them to tidy up in peace. It can't be safe there for anyone at the moment. I've decided that we will donate the value of the spending money we had set aside for those ports to the rescue effort.

Feels extremely selfish to even worry about where the cruise will go when you see what people have lost. I guess it will be a mystery cruise.

Carnival may well have not decided yet what to do, as you say. They will want to go to the itinerary. And remember the islanders will want you to come, they probably need your $$$ more than ever.

You really should treat every cruise as a mystery cruise because this type of thing does happen, sometimes you will set sail thinking all is good and then need to change plans.

Carnival Spirit on the current cruise ex Sydney Mar 8 overnighted Melbourne- then heading for a part day in Hobart. I would think next cruise will be similar. My friends on board got off and went home. Their first ever cruise.

Carnival Spirit on the current cruise ex Sydney Mar 8 overnighted Melbourne- then heading for a part day in Hobart. I would think next cruise will be similar. My friends on board got off and went home. Their first ever cruise.

What they got off just because it was going to Melbourne and Hobart :confused:

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but is cyclone Nathan expected to move towards then coral sea overthe next few days?

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

We are sailing next Sunday, arriving at our first port the following Wednesday.

1 1/2 weeks away. Do you think things will be settled?

It's not totally clear, it's changing every time they update it. If it stays on the currently predicted path it would pass between New Caledonia and Australia but that may change on the next update.

We'll just have to wait and see.

We're sailing on Friday with the scheduled first port stop at Lifou on the following Monday. Who knows where we'll end up.

I'm planning on taking some extra cash to spend at whatever ports we do end up at. I don't usually buy souvenirs but will make an exception in this case. I think the islanders will need every cent they can get.

I'm planning on taking some extra cash to spend at whatever ports we do end up at. I don't usually buy souvenirs but will make an exception in this case. I think the islanders will need every cent they can get.

That is nice of you, if everyone spends a few extra $$ it'll make a huge difference to the islanders.

Welcome to the boards, and what a wonderful, wonderful gesture.

Edited by dizzy1948

A couple of years ago, we had some friends who decided a couple of months out that they saw a great deal to Fiji. In Feb. We said that's not really a good time, high risk, but they were just 'nah, it's a great deal.' And they went.

And then were there in the middle of the cyclone, stayed inside from the rain the whole week. Weren't very happy when they came back.

Nothing wrong with the cruise or destination. It's up to the buyer to do their research about the seasons. At least with this cruise, they're taking you to places that you still can have an enjoyable cruise.