Le Meridian Barcelona is it 5*?

att

Just booked Le Meridian Barcelona on Priceline and wondered if anyone has been able to check in early at this hotel,were they accomodating and if you were pleased with your stay there. I read mostly favorable reviews on TripAdvisor but then there were folks who really disliked it.We're there pre and post cruise,1day on each end. Just looking for input from cc. Tryed to search and got no results.

It's been at least ten years since we stayed there, but we were very pleased.

The central location on the Ramblas is terrific. We were concerned that it would be very noisy, but the hotel has double windows to insure peace and quiet.

Lots of good coffee shops very near in case you don't want a large breakfast.

Hope you get a more recent review!

We stayed there Dec. 07 and thought it was really nice (and they were renovating at the time :rolleyes:)

The location can't be beat. Quiet and serene inside while "Las Ramblas is jumping on the outside". I loved the dimmers on all the lights in the room...... the bed was perhaps the best hotel bed I have ever slept on - and I have stayed in many 5* resorts (Bellagio, One and Only Ocean Club, Ritz Carltons etc etc....)

We stayed post cruise - so disembarked around 9:45ish and went straight to the hotel....where they checked us right in. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Thanks all. Is anyone from 11/08 NCL Gem sailing staying at Le Meridien? I have emailed them about 4days ago about early check in and a king rm request and no reply yet. Should I email again or call, or give it more time?Keep the input coming!!

We stayed there pre- Brilliance of the Seas in late September. Great location - we took the airport bus for 5E and it let us off just a couple of blocks away.

I am a Gold Member of Starwood and they didn't offer the extras that I normally receive. In fact, we were given a smoking room when we had requested non-smoking. So had to go back to the front desk and start over. The front desk is not the most friendly or accomodating. I had also read a manager's note on TripAdvisor that they were offering a shuttle to the cruise ships, but when I asked I was offered a blank look and a taxi :)

Our room was small, no view and lots of noisy people in the hallways at night. So no, I wouldn't classify as 5*. It met our needs, but wouldn't have wanted to pay the rates quoted.

Well, glad its adequate but sorry to hear of the poor experiences. Maybe thats why they haven't returned my email. Since we did Priceline, we're stuck with our reservations. I did pay only $163 for the rm so hope its worth that much!!

Well, glad its adequate but sorry to hear of the poor experiences. Maybe thats why they haven't returned my email. Since we did Priceline, we're stuck with our reservations. I did pay only $163 for the rm so hope its worth that much!!

That price would work for me - I think you're ok unless you can get a similar price across the street at the 1898.

Hi ATT,

My wife and I are also staying at Le Meridien on Sat. Nov 7 before boarding the Gem on Sunday. I e-mailed yesterday after reading your post and received a reply this morning. Monica Garcia responded to me. Her address is Monica.Garcia@lemeridien.com maybe give that a try if you do not get a reply.

Good Luck

Mike

Mike

many thanks, I've already typed the email! I don't know why they haven't replied but I'm hoping for better luck now.

Have you joined the rollcall for our cruise? There is a meet and greet already at close to 40 people. Judy and Gary

Whoa, that is a very very good price. We paid alot more for our one night there.

We did not find any of the problems of the above poster. I will have to say the front desk was not overly friendly - but not rude either. More European reserved :) Our room was quiet- albeit no view. No problem with noisy hallway either.

Thanks everybody

Mike I did get a response from Monica. We were requesting an earlier check in, although she can't promise it I'm hoping that just the contact will put us in the front of the line.

Lvg in less than a wk. Is LeMerdien near enough to the Aero bus stop (from airport) that I've read about on the boards. I think its near to Placa Cataluyna? Can we walk w/luggage - there are 4 of us, better to just take a taxi?

I agree that is a great price, I am using airmiles but it is based on a room rate of $219USD per night. Is anyone else on Voyager staying at this hotel? We are staying there November 14 and November 22 for pre and post cruise one night stays so we get a chance to check out Barcelona.

Lvg in less than a wk. Is LeMerdien near enough to the Aero bus stop (from airport) that I've read about on the boards. I think its near to Placa Cataluyna? Can we walk w/luggage - there are 4 of us, better to just take a taxi?

Very close to Placa Catalunya - within a couple short blocks. Would be easier to walk from Placa than take a taxi, the way the roads work and traffic. We usually taxi from the airport directly to the hotel, but this time may take the bus, depending on how much luggage we have.

BTW, we have stayed at this hotel 4 times already and have another stay coming next month - have never had any problems there. It's a great location, and the rooms are very nice. I love the quirky "experience" that they have there - the rainforest sounds in the elevator that change depending on time of day, and the evening ceremony in the lobby - it's fun. Excellent (but pricey) white sangria in the bar, and nice bartenders! The breakfast is expensive for what you get - better off eating down the street.

Robin

Many thanks to all the responders, I knew we'd get the best input. We're looking forward to it. The $163 was thru the bidding feature of Priceline. I love a bargain!! I'll be sure to post some of my own observations when we return.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from our NCL Gem cruise and it was EXCELLENT!!

The feedback on the Le Meridien is that it was a fantastic,5* hotel. The staff was helpful,the beds extremely comfortable, the rainhead showers were scrumptious, the rooms were very good sized, very clean.The concierge was helpful, we got a complimentary cup of speciality coffee at check in, there was use of the internet center for free and our location couldn't have been better, right on La Ramblas, near the HoHo line and all the action. I do not agree with the negative comments previously posted and especially for the bargain price we paid I'd return in a heartbeat. Just my opinion!!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear friends:

Le Meridien is a nice, clean place to sleep -- not much more.

There is nothing wrong with it and the location cannot be beat for touring. If you are SPG Gold or Platinum and get upgraded, or if you get a good price on Priceline or Hotwire, then it is fine.

It was renovated last year. It's actually a cheap, cardboard, Ikea-type renovation, but it is clean and there is nothing wrong with it.

Curiously, Le Meridien is rated five stars and Hotel 1898 across the street is rated 4-stars. If you are not tied to the Starwood loyalty program, try to get a good rate at Hotel 1898 -- it is a much nicer, far more solidly built hotel.

The Asian restaurant on the ground floor of the Hotel 1898 is fantastic, even if you don't stay there. It is run by one of Barcelona's largest restaurant groups. Try it out.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Hmmmm just an observation but I personally did not go all the way to Barcelona to eat in an Asian restaurant :eek:

There are tons of tapas restaurants all along Las Ramblas - some with excellent paella.....or just about any other thing that would tempt your tastebuds !!

Just my opinion......but when in Rome....... well, you know the rest :D

Archived