NY Metro Area LGBT Cruisers

paulypride

I see I'm not the only one up late. I'm from Long Island and work in Manhattan. I love to cruise, but being single, it gets expensive going alone, so I sometimes settle for watching the ships leave port from my office window.

I see I'm not the only one up late. I'm from Long Island and work in Manhattan. I love to cruise, but being single, it gets expensive going alone, so I sometimes settle for watching the ships leave port from my office window.

So where on the island you from? Me and my husband live in Central Islip.....I work in Union Square in NYC

Brooklyn here! I took a cruise from NYC on NCL that was supposed to go to Bermuda, but we got re-routed to the Bahamas due to hurricane. I'm leaving on Saturday for a Southern Caribbean cruise on Princess from Fort Lauderdale and so excited!

JEALOUS! Yes I was up at 2am reading your excellent review of your cruise! Hope this one the weather is much better for!

JEALOUS! Yes I was up at 2am reading your excellent review of your cruise! Hope this one the weather is much better for!

Glad you enjoyed! I am seriously considering booking NYC to Bermuda in September again and just praying we won't get re-routed. Only downside is that NCL Star is sailing the route this year, which is much older than the Gem.

Northern NJ here - originally from Yonkers. We have cruised a few times from NYC / Bayonne and once from Baltimore.

AttilaTheFun - We are booked on the Star on 9/9/12. I also booked our friends as well. We have sailed in September a couple of times and usually have fantastic weather - it's always a possibility though. I don't mind not being on a brand new ship. I read that the star was originally built for Star cruises - like the Spirit was. The Spirit was our favorite ship to date. Laid out well and beautiful inside.

Glad to have you all here....we are about to book a 5 night cruise out of New Orleans on the Carnival Elation - we will be in NOLA for Southern Decadence, so we will do the cruise right afterwards. Let's pray for better weather....last year we went to NOLA for SD and we had to flee after 24 hours due to a huge Tropical Storm.....we ended up in Houston for the week....had a good time though!

AttilaTheFun - We are booked on the Star on 9/9/12. I also booked our friends as well. We have sailed in September a couple of times and usually have fantastic weather - it's always a possibility though. I don't mind not being on a brand new ship. I read that the star was originally built for Star cruises - like the Spirit was. The Spirit was our favorite ship to date. Laid out well and beautiful inside.

Good to hear! I am looking at the 9/2/12 sailing and September is always nice as there tend to be less children on board!

so who here is from the NY Metro area?

Would love to chat more.....

Central Jersey for me (North Brunswick) and my partner lives in Manhattan.

We went on my first cruise last October on Seabourn from Istanbul to Athens. What a fantastic trip! I sort of wish I waited a year to try out a cruise since Atlantis chartered one of Seabourn's ships to do a similar cruise. Advantage of the Atlantis cruise is that it stops at Santorini (I'm still bummed out that I missed the island) and the ship stays extremely late at Santorini and Mykonos. Oh well. Think I may be hooked on cruising though...

Less Children is key :)

What type of room do you book? There are some On Board Credits available!

My parents are interested in going, so I'm looking at a mini-suite so that we can just get one room for the 3 of us, but still have enough room for everyone. Would also be my first experience with a balcony on a cruise, so that would be exciting!

My partner is vehemently anti-cruise from irrational fears of sinking and too many people around :rolleyes:

My parents are interested in going, so I'm looking at a mini-suite so that we can just get one room for the 3 of us, but still have enough room for everyone. Would also be my first experience with a balcony on a cruise, so that would be exciting!

My partner is vehemently anti-cruise from irrational fears of sinking and too many people around :rolleyes:

He should really try cruising. My partner would never ever get on a ship - we started with a short cruise to Canada - he was hooked after that. The Bermuda cruise might be a great start since you are out to sea for a couple of days then docked for a couple.

Anyway - if you have an AMEX you may want to consider a family suite - they are much bigger and are offering a big fat on board credit if you use your AMEX. Comes out cheaoer than a mini. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the welcome, pauly!

Only times we have sailed into or out of NYC are on Cunard Crossings (which are extremely relaxing!). Otherwise it's been mostly Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, with a few other departure ports thrown in. We've done everything from a 99-passenger expedition ship up to the 6000-passenger Allure, and most of the sizes in between. A mix of straight ("regular") cruises and all-gay charters, too. Have loved them all!

Live up in Dutchess County, and love to cruise. Stay mostly with the Pied Piper gay group cruises, but have tried 2 Atlantis Gay Charters, and 5 or 6 str8 cruises as well. This year trying a gay group cruise with a company called Aquafest. All have their pluses and minuses, but still think cruising is a great value.

Have tried two cruises out of NYC area, one from the Manhattan piers and another from Port Liberty in NJ, both went pretty well as well, although time to the Manhattan pier was double the time than the NJ ones and both are same distance mileage wise for me.

My partner and I live in the city on the east side, fairly new to cruising (on a boat that is) and are leaving on our 4th this weekend on the NCL Jewel. Last year did the Gem to Bermuda out of NYC and it was awesome to be in our front door only 25 minutes from the time we left our cabin on return. Downside is that when you leave in the colder months you have a few days of "decent" weather cut off. Will definitely be doing the transatlantic inaugural cruise of the Breakaway next year as well. Glad I found this site!

Edgewater New Jersey is home work in in the city. Going on the Eclipse in 2 weeks. I cruise at least once a year, have done ATlantis in the past and thinking of doing it again.

Have thought about trying to do the All Gay Cruise and something about it strikes me as I wouldnt have a good time...what did you think of it?

My partner and I live in the city on the east side, fairly new to cruising (on a boat that is) and are leaving on our 4th this weekend on the NCL Jewel. Last year did the Gem to Bermuda out of NYC and it was awesome to be in our front door only 25 minutes from the time we left our cabin on return. Downside is that when you leave in the colder months you have a few days of "decent" weather cut off. Will definitely be doing the transatlantic inaugural cruise of the Breakaway next year as well. Glad I found this site!

Chuck & Scott -

Welcome to our little slice of CC.....yeah thats one of the reasons I am not sure about cruising from NYC....I want my weather to be nice nice nice!!!

Would love to do a TA!

P-

Guys

Don't want to hijack your thread but am hoping that you NYC guys can share some pre-cruise advice in the City.

Our Canada cruise is leaving at the end of Fashion Week so I am having trouble finding a decent hotel for anything under $300 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions of someplace that might not be showing up on the usual suspects - hotel dot com, etc?

How bout nightlife suggestions? Hubby and I are two old fat bears and used to have a blast at the Dugout on Sunday afternoons but now that they are closed we aren't' sure where we won't be the only now Chelseaboys in the bar.

Thanks in advance!

Have thought about trying to do the All Gay Cruise and something about it strikes me as I wouldnt have a good time...what did you think of it?

Why do you think you wouldn't have a good time?

OK, 7 of my 8 cruises have been with RSVP so maybe I am biased, but I believe anyone can have fun on them. :) It is a very different experience than a regular cruise.

Our Canada cruise is leaving at the end of Fashion Week so I am having trouble finding a decent hotel for anything under $300 bucks. Anyone have any suggestions of someplace that might not be showing up on the usual suspects - hotel dot com, etc?

Can't quite help with hotels since we never stay in hotels in our city. :D

How bout nightlife suggestions? Hubby and I are two old fat bears and used to have a blast at the Dugout on Sunday afternoons but now that they are closed we aren't' sure where we won't be the only now Chelseaboys in the bar.

Gym Bar in Chelsea would most likely work. Boxers is a sports bar that actually show sports! In the West Village the Hangar and Ty's would be two options too.