What do you do for dinner the first night back home?

Roadtripster

Fortunately my parents usually invite me over for supper on the day I get back, most of the time its my favorite meal, stewed tomatoes, rice and (don't laugh) fried baloney. I REALLY LOVE RICE. ;)

I haven't got a routine yet. First cruise was December. Went home with noro. Threw up violently. Clear tea and water for dinner. I'll try to establish a routine dinner for next cruise in July. Probably Szechuan from a local eatery. Yum!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As we sit down at home to eat a fast food extravaganza of deep fried mystery items just picked up returning home from the airport I look back at our cruise and remember a meal or maybe even two that I mentally criticized for being just a little underwhelming. Then, as I remove the fast food delicacies from the paper bag they came in, it hits me. My negative review of that shipboard meal, the one I thought might have been a bit underwhelming, was way off center. When is the next cruise?

• 5 weeks later...

We are usually away from home our first night off the ship - so that is a restaurant. Typically first night back home is still a restaurant. We stretch every trip into months so we don't have food at home unless it is in the freezer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We got in too late to eat, fell into bed, got up the next morning for a 4 hour round trip to pick someone up, and came home to BBQ 'd chicken skewers made into souvlaki with watermelon salad and foil bbq'd potatoes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I like to put on a nice dress and pair of heels, go sit down in the dining room and wait for my waiters to take my order. If the service is too slow there, I move to the kitchen table and wait for the waiters in that room to appear. After being really disappointed with the service aboard this ship, we call out to the Chinese restaurant that delivers.

Now that is funny lol

• 3 weeks later...

I always clean the fridge and pantry out before we leave so both are barren when we return. Whether we drive or fly, we pick up fast food on the way home and the sadness sets in. Breakfast is the WORST. Sometimes, I'll even go out and pick up breakfast at a fast food restaurant before heading to the grocery store, which is my LEAST favorite chore. I order in pizza that night or we go out and have Mexican. I have to slowly be eased back into real life for the first week.

• 4 weeks later...

I live about 3 hour from cape liberty, so I bribed my father to drive us and pick us up (as well as puppy-sit, it's a good thing i'm his favorite!). in exchange I promised him that we could stop at my favorite sushi restaurant in NYC for lunch/dinner. by the time we collect the pup and drive home, I assume it will be nap time!

• 2 months later...

What a good question! There has been times I had 2 days worth of meals in the freezer for us to eat since it takes us that long to catch up on our sleep when we return. For the years I am not organized we eat pizza out the first night or order Stromboli for delivery.

It sure would be nice if someone would stock the refrigerator for us the day we return[emoji8][emoji8]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...