Antiqua on your own

sue2go

Will be taking the Princess Antiqua on your own transfer in February. I've read several posts about hiring a guide at the drop-off point for something like $10 per person. Do experienced cruisers suggest we do this or just go it on our own? And if you suggest hiring a guide, any advice on to go about that? Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the information Daryleann. I am still interested in information on hiring a guide at the tourist center where the bus drops us off "on the fly". This would leave our option of doing it on our own or with a guide open. And if we chose to hire a local guide there how that process happens.

Look at the forum on Guatemala and do a search for Antigua. You will see what others have done.

In some of my reading I remember a guide saying that the tourist area is only a few blocks each direction. Not sure where I read it and will try to track it back down.

Edited by daryleann

• 3 years later...

Download the Antigua offline map from google maps prior to your departure. Works with no internet connection and will help you find your way around.  In Central Park there always seemed to be people offering walking tours if you decide to. Not sure how much?  Do your research on Trip Advisor before you go to know what you want to see/do in order to maximize your time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, Turtles06 said:

This is a good tip.  But you resurrected a thread that has been inactive for four years! 🙃

And I am reading this 2 years later (hope that is 👌) yeah! We go sept 2021 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea-Bos said:

And I am reading this 2 years later (hope that is 👌) yeah! We go sept 2021 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

LOL at the longevity of this thread!  😊  I hope your Sept. cruise is a go!!   Since my last comment above (in Nov. 2019), we returned to Antigua for a second visit (on another transit of the Panama Canal).   I just want to mention the fabulous local place, Rincon Tipico, where we had lunch (recommended on the CC thread below).  It's not really a tourist spot (at least it wasn't in early 2020), so I was happy to have read about it.   Here's the thread with the info:

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:
3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

LOL at the longevity of this thread!  😊  I hope your Sept. cruise is a go!!   Since my last comment above (in Nov. 2019), we returned to Antigua for a second visit (on another transit of the Panama Canal).   I just want to mention the fabulous local place, Rincon Tipico, where we had lunch (recommended on the CC thread below).  It's not really a tourist spot (at least it wasn't in early 2020), so I was happy to have read about it.   Here's the thread with the info:

I guess Nov 2019 is really that long ago. We did partial transit in October. Thank you for the recommendation. We prefer to go away from everything tourist. This cruise we are going to 7 ports we haven’t visited: Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada. St Kitts, St Croix and St Lucia.  Any recommendations for those ports would be great!!!