Post Santo Tomas de Castilla Info Here

rpader

I had heard so many good things on these boards about ''Go With Gus'' tours that I wanted to go with them but be advised that not all tours are good from this company. I don't want to bash on them, I just want you to make a well informed decision if you decide to go with them. Here is a section of my cruise review posted on the Norwegian board:

I heard many good things on these boards about ‘’Go with Gus Tours’’ but I had a different experience. We worked it out and we finally had a good day but I know it was more expensive than what it should have been.

I had e-mailed Go with Gus twice with no answer. I wrote to the other address (there were 2) and explained that I heard good thing about his company on CC but didn’t get a reply (we wanted to go to the Banana Plantation Tour). He replied saying he had already replied (I doubt of this since I check my emails daily, including the junk mail bin just in case). He said he would take us on a Banana Plantation Tour.

We saw Gus near the Terminal entrance and he said we were the only ones for this tour and he would try to find other people. At this time, I told him that if he couldn’t find other people, we were open to other tour suggestions. We came back to his booth 15 minutes later, as agreed and we had to wait about 15 minutes more. During that time, I realized that they advertised the Banana Plantation Tour at 35$ per person (while we were asked 45$ per person, as per their internet rate). I asked for a 10$ pp refund but then he told me that it was another Banana Plantation, not the same quality tour as we would get (Yeah, right…. I didn’t believe this one). He didn’t find anyone else to go with us. I told him we could go on another tour, that we are not difficult people but he said it was alright, that he would give us the tour anyway (then, I felt that the 45$ pp was OK if we got a private tour instead of a group tour.

Here is the exact description of the tour, directly from his website:

Banana Plantation Tour

See how the Chiquita bananas that are enjoy in the US

are grown, harvested and packed.

2 1/2 hours tour

Price per person including entrance fee $45.00

The driver didn’t speak lots of English but enough to get by so it was ok for us, we thought the tour would be held by the plantation people… WRONG. We drove about 20 minutes, we stopped on a small street near banana trees and the driver wants us to take a picture of him and then we walk around for about 10-15 minutes (more 10 minutes I think) and he shows bananas and bags, and a guy in a tree but there were no real tour or any explanation given and he drove us back to the pier. I told him the tour was supposed to take 2.5 hours but he said Gus told him only the Banana Plantation and back since we were only the 2 of us).

When we came back to the pier, I was pissed off but Gus was gone with his Humanitarian Tour. His staff was very nice though. One guy couldn’t believe we were back already. I was very emotional (I can’t help it) and told him how much I was disappointed. I told him we were not difficult people and asked if he could arrange something so we have something to do that day, I said a ride to a nice beach and back later in the day would be ok, or almost anything else he could offer. He made a arrangement with another company that sells tours (it cost him only 5$ pp, nothing to us) and we had a boat ride to a resort. There was the bay view, a pool, food and beverage service (overpriced… 8$ for a burger with fries).

The banana plantation driver came to the resort and offered a city tour for 30$ for the 2 of us (we refused) and then for 20$ and we accepted (Catherine really wanted to go – if it were me, I wouldn’t have given one more cent to this company).

The city tour was nice and the guide very, very knowledgeable (I don’t know from what company but they operate a small white and red boat next to the ship). People in the van had paid about 40$pp to go to some falls and the city tour. They definitely took advantage of us when we compare but it’s ok, it’s a learning experience and we still had a good day in the end. The City tour included some very poor areas, the guide was telling us about the good and bad things about his country. We even saw 2 little girls handling coal with bare hands and no mask; poor girls… I wonder if their parents know they will probably die in their twenties suffering from lung problems.

We drove into the banana plantation from a back entry way and stopped along side the road. We all got out and walked into the rows of banana plants. We saw really cool spider webs, thus some small spiders. We got bit by mosquitos, so have your bug spray on in advance. There was a worker (apparently paid $10-$20/day) and we saw the cable system. We got great pictures and video. After about 10 minutes a pickup came down the road from the other way. We got back in the van. Our guide and the 2 men in the pickup spoke and we left. Don't know if our guide didn't have permission to be there, didn't have permission to be on that road, or what.

So it was not a structured, guided tour, but we were satisfied to see what we did as we were able to move along as continue with our adventure!

We learned about the growing process of bananas from a couple we had met earlier on the ship that booked the actual ship excursion.

My email is tssdvds@hotmail.com if you want to communicate that way!

I got an email from Gus regarding my posts about him on this board. He appologizes for the problems we had on our tour and offers a refund (I'm still thinking if I will accept or decline the refund) but, to be fair to him, I wanted to let you know that he followed up.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know how great i can answer things but we booked in the terminal with a group and they took us all around the two main towns and we stopped at the waterfalls. If walking is a challange for you dont do the water falls., Please email here or my personal email and I will so my best to help you. mjones624@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am planning on stopping at the waterfalls for part of the day--is there enough to see to spend all day? If not, do you know if there is anywhere to rent kayaks or go horseback riding? I will be on the Norwegian Spirit (docked 8am-6pm).

Thanks in advance for your help!

I am planning on stopping at the waterfalls for part of the day--is there enough to see to spend all day? If not, do you know if there is anywhere to rent kayaks or go horseback riding? I will be on the Norwegian Spirit (docked 8am-6pm).

We were there on the Spirit mid-Feb. The falls take maybe 2 hours, depending on how long you swim. The water is VERY cold. We booked a tour at the pier that was for waterfalls/Green Bay Resort. After the falls, we spent the remainder of the day at the resort. There was a pool, kids pool, bar, hammocks, etc. It is on more of a bay than the Caribbean Sea, so the water is pretty brown. They don't advise swimming in it, but they did have canoes that you could take out. You just take them on your own, no time limits or anything. I think it was $35 for falls only/$40 for both.

We got back to the Ship around 4:00.

Im sorry I dont,. We took a tour that put us on a boat then over to this beautiful resort that was so great you didnt see anyone . The plant life was out of this world. Then a tour of the two cities by small bus then a tour of the waterfalls. I do remember thinking that the water at least in the bay area where we were on the small boat did not look beautiful at all like the islands. dark. Im sure it was better out in the ocean but this was the one thing i thought was odd.

Either way this Island was beautiful. and the people so friendly.

What was the name of the resort? We have booked an excursion for a resort Amitique? I think..............I had not heard great things about this port so booked something safe!:rolleyes:

Rysmom,

Do you know the name of the company you booked the Green Bay Resort/Waterfall tour with? I am very interested in this, especially since it is so much cheaper than the Amatique Resort offered by NCL and you also get the Falls with it.

Rysmom,

Do you know the name of the company you booked the Green Bay Resort/Waterfall tour with? I am very interested in this, especially since it is so much cheaper than the Amatique Resort offered by NCL and you also get the Falls with it.

I think it was TURIX. Their booth is to the right as you enter the terminal. They will have reps in front of the booth with white t-shirts with blue trim. The booth has a large sign in front with the different packages, and I think that this one is Combo package #3. If you have kids, I think I remember that they were free (or at least half price). While we did the entire tour by van, some at the resort said that they came by water taxi to the resort, than van to the falls. I think it just depends on what is available at the time you book. You can see the ship docked from the resort. Our guide was a kid of about 17 who was earning money for school, and he spoke very, very good english. We got to the falls just before the cruise tour did, and we had the swimming areas to ourselves, while there was probably 40 people with that group. There were no more that 20 people at the resort at any one time, spread out between the pool and the beach area, so getting a chair or table was not an issue. There is a volleyball net set up in the pool as well, and we got a game going. The ride from the falls to the resort is interesting as well. We saw the market, the town (not Livingston, Barrios something, maybe?), donkeys carrying loads...lots of local flavor. It was one of my favorite days, a good balance of touristy and relaxing.

Have Fun

• 2 weeks later...

I used him......WOW what a great guy........ANYONE who wants to have a great day find him.......use him.......he will take great care of you and show you things you would never get to see on a big bus. If you should tell him Gene( the big bald guy) and Erin say hi. Enjoy

I used him......WOW what a great guy........ANYONE who wants to have a great day find him.......use him.......he will take great care of you and show you things you would never get to see on a big bus. If you should tell him Gene( the big bald guy) and Erin say hi. Enjoy

If you have any question feel free to email me gwhutchison@msn.com

Hello...

We had a long shore stop in Santo Thomas while on Azamara Quest Panama Canal cruise. Not being fond of cruise tours, I booked an independent tour with www.tropicaldiscovery.com and loved the entire day.

We started with an hour+ drive past beautiful scenery to the town of Rio Dulce where we met our lancha/small covered boat driver. He had been born in the area and was intimately familiar with all of the small tributaries of the Rio Dulce and we had an opportunity to see a huge number of bird species, butterflies, huge lily pads in bloom and jungle huts. Further down the river we stopped at the hot springs and then at AK Tenamit for a bit of shopping at the Queeche (sp?) Mayan settlement. Our lancha driver knew and introduced us to one of their chiefs who lived in Livingston and happened to need a ride home. The four of us proceeded to Livingston where we had a tour of the town and a lovely lunch with the interesting mix of one native Guatemalan, one Mayan chief, two American travelers in a Garifuna restaurant with native dancers to entertain. A GREAT afternoon!

After some shopping and introductions to many locals we found out how fast the lancha could actually go when we flew across the ocean back to the ship at the speed of the pelicans flying next to us. It was an amazing experience.

We have been to Guatemala before; it's one of my favorite countries, but I've never been to the Rio Dulce area. I find the Guatemalan people to be some of the friendliest I've ever met. As the ship was pulling away from the dock at dusk, we saw that all of the taxi/tour drivers and their vehicles were lined up with their lights flashing at the ship, waving goodbye...along with all of the dock workers and souvenier sellers on the dock. We'll be back to Rio Dulce and, of course, to the highlands area as well.

Enjoy this wonderful country!

murphysmum;)

We just got back from our cruise last week (NCL SUN), and I’ve decided to post a (VERY LONG!) review of our day in Santo Tomas <snip> We took a taxi from the port to Las Escobas Waterfalls ($60 round trip for up to 4 people for the taxi and $5 per person entrance into the national park, all paid at the port)!

Great review -- thanks for the detail! Sounds just like the kind of thing my husband would like (things to take pictures of and no one to hurry him -- except to get back on the ship before it leaves!;) ).

Quick question -- did you pay them in USD, or local currency?

• 2 weeks later...
We were there on the Spirit mid-Feb. The falls take maybe 2 hours, depending on how long you swim. The water is VERY cold. We booked a tour at the pier that was for waterfalls/Green Bay Resort. After the falls, we spent the remainder of the day at the resort. There was a pool, kids pool, bar, hammocks, etc. It is on more of a bay than the Caribbean Sea, so the water is pretty brown. They don't advise swimming in it, but they did have canoes that you could take out. You just take them on your own, no time limits or anything. I think it was $35 for falls only/$40 for both.

We got back to the Ship around 4:00.

Thank you so much for the information and I'm sorry it took me so long to get back to you! This was very helpful!

• 7 months later...
I think it was TURIX. Their booth is to the right as you enter the terminal. They will have reps in front of the booth with white t-shirts with blue trim. The booth has a large sign in front with the different packages, and I think that this one is Combo package #3. If you have kids, I think I remember that they were free (or at least half price). While we did the entire tour by van, some at the resort said that they came by water taxi to the resort, than van to the falls. I think it just depends on what is available at the time you book. You can see the ship docked from the resort. Our guide was a kid of about 17 who was earning money for school, and he spoke very, very good english. We got to the falls just before the cruise tour did, and we had the swimming areas to ourselves, while there was probably 40 people with that group. There were no more that 20 people at the resort at any one time, spread out between the pool and the beach area, so getting a chair or table was not an issue. There is a volleyball net set up in the pool as well, and we got a game going. The ride from the falls to the resort is interesting as well. We saw the market, the town (not Livingston, Barrios something, maybe?), donkeys carrying loads...lots of local flavor. It was one of my favorite days, a good balance of touristy and relaxing.

Have Fun

You mentioned in a later post that the water at the falls was VERY COLD. I was suprised because I thought the falls were volcanic and hot. Possibly you selected a different waterfall to visit? We are on the NCL Spirit visiting this port on January 7, 2009, so your posts have been "mucho" (practicing) helpful. Thanks

• 8 months later...
Hi

I'm sailing 3-11 on the Veendam and searching everything I can for information on this port without luck

The HAL site has some stuff but nothing that rocks my boat. The afternoon at the resort seems the least offending.

Between state dept security warnings in the near past and this being a new stop - it does not give me a warm fuzzy.

I'll continue to monitor and research

Jack

Den here...

I am contemplating booking the same voyage as you on HAL's Veendam; however, if you think there is a dearth of info on Santo Tomas de Castilla, check out Belize City. Very little to do there, apparently! But I am still thinking positively going forward! I will report back any salient info.

• 5 years later...

In Honduras we are heading to Banana Beach Resort where we have each purchased an Adult Day Pass ($30 each) and this includes transportation to and from the dock, use of their three swimming pools, sand volleyball and clean beach, on-site security and free Wi-Fi. Food and drink, beach towels and souvenirs are available for purchase.

On April 16 in Guatemala we are taking a tour with Happy Fish Tours that includes Rio Dulce Canyon, Ak-Tenamit, hot springs, garden lagoon, Bird Island and the Garifuna village of Livingston. $50 per person.

In Costa Maya we are spending the day at Maya Chan Beach with our own private shaded area on the beach, kayaking and snorkeling, all you can eat Mayan Feast lunch, and an never ending premium open- bar service. The $59 per person charge includes transportation from and to the port and free Wi-Fi.

If you’d like any details please email me at LarryVan47@aol.com.

• 9 months later...
In Honduras we are heading to Banana Beach Resort where we have each purchased an Adult Day Pass ($30 each) and this includes transportation to and from the dock, use of their three swimming pools, sand volleyball and clean beach, on-site security and free Wi-Fi. Food and drink, beach towels and souvenirs are available for purchase.

On April 16 in Guatemala we are taking a tour with Happy Fish Tours that includes Rio Dulce Canyon, Ak-Tenamit, hot springs, garden lagoon, Bird Island and the Garifuna village of Livingston. $50 per person.

In Costa Maya we are spending the day at Maya Chan Beach with our own private shaded area on the beach, kayaking and snorkeling, all you can eat Mayan Feast lunch, and an never ending premium open- bar service. The $59 per person charge includes transportation from and to the port and free Wi-Fi.

If you’d like any details please email me at LarryVan47@aol.com.

Would you post on this thread when you get back? I would love to know how it went since so much of this information is years old. I will be making this stop in May 2016. Thank you!

Would you post on this thread when you get back? I would love to know how it went since so much of this information is years old. I will be making this stop in May 2016. Thank you!

Not toprodtn but I went to Maya Chan Resort in Costa Maya and it is a lovely place and as advertised. Good food, as many drinks as you want, free Wifi, your own private palapa for shade or privacy, massage on the beach for a minimal cost.

The only down side is the water can be a bit muddy if there has been a recent storm. Some others on our cruise went to Almaplena just a bit further down the road and said the water was fine.

If you check out "mitsugirly" or here is one of her threads http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12 Look at her signature and you find detailed reviews of Almaplena, Maya Chan and Mahahual.

Not toprodtn but I went to Maya Chan Resort in Costa Maya and it is a lovely place and as advertised. Good food, as many drinks as you want, free Wifi, your own private palapa for shade or privacy, massage on the beach for a minimal cost.

The only down side is the water can be a bit muddy if there has been a recent storm. Some others on our cruise went to Almaplena just a bit further down the road and said the water was fine.

If you check out "mitsugirly" or here is one of her threads http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30654861&postcount=12 Look at her signature and you find detailed reviews of Almaplena, Maya Chan and Mahahual.

I absolutely LOVE Maya Chan! It is my favorite place to do in any port. The service can not be beat. Anyone willing to bring us our drinks out in the water while we are relaxing on our floats is fantastic. It is that way every time. Also, the sea bass there is better than I have ever had (I love it and I don't like fish, but other people have also made the same comment). I have been here 12 times and the water has been clear 10 of the 12 times. One time was a little murky and the other was pretty bad (first cruise of the year at the end of the rainy season). There is usually a little sea grass, but it is in clumps and very easy to navigate around (the sea grass is not what makes the water murky, it is from the run off). Any way, I would love to find somewhere like Maya Chan in every port.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent an email to Larry, here is what he said about the guatemala tour with HappyFish Travels. I know it is a year old, but

"It was a wonderful tour and I would highly recommend it if you are adventuresome and don't mind a long boat ride (that can be rough), a lot of walking. You really get to see the "real" side of the country and Happy Fish does a wonderful job.

We did see Gus and his groups and we heard they also do a good job."

So, hope this helps, I am also trying to find info on these tours other than what my ship has to offer, we sail in March,