Bus to Antigua?

daryleann

I was on the NCL site this morning. It seems that you can go and look under the shore excursions from the home page and find excursions for Guatemala but when I logged into my account there were not any listed there. Hopefully, some of the same ones that are listed on the home page menu will appear there soon. Unfortunately, the NCL site is down right now.

I was hoping to book some of our shore excursions soon since we have the shore excursion credit. I can only use the credit by calling an NCL rep or booking onboard. Maybe NCL would know when they will be posting the info. Their number is 1-866-625-1167.

Sorry about the confusion earlier. I was only looking at the excursions from the home page menu and not my own personal account menu. You would think they would be the same????

• 2 weeks later...

NCL has a great page toward the bottom of this article (not dated) that shows the ports on a map and lists the excursions available. Looked at the Guatemala one and our cruise is not listed as being one with those excursions. Perhaps that will change. Cruiser on our roll call said NCL told him they would list after Nov 1.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/shore-excursions-puerto-quetzal-guatemala-57576.html

• 4 months later...

It's a long ride to Antigua and the road is 2 lane part of the way. On one cruise we got caught in a traffic jam (on a ship's tour) due to a concert being held past the port. Eventually the police stopped traffic going the other way so we could get back to the ship. Not sure if I would risk doing it on your own.

On one of our cruises the "On Your Own" tour was full but they kept adding buses as demand required. Something like 500 passengers ended up doing the tour.

Since NCL does not have any excursions in this port, how can we get to Antigua? Several have mentioned the do your own thing type excursion, so what is the best way to arrange that?

Thanks for any advice!

'Antigua on Your Own' simply means there will be a Fleet of Greyhound-type buses to ferry a great many of the Ships passengers to Antigua. It's the ONLY way to go in my opinion. Antigua is up in the mountains...about 90/minutes away from the Port. Arrive in Antigua near a Jade Factory Shop...then go wander around and have lunch. Nice. Locomotiveman

• 4 weeks later...

Having spent several days in Antiqua, and looking at public transportation around the area, I wouldn't even attempt to ride public transportation there. Their buses are old converted US school buses that have been converted for driving in the area. They are called Chicken buses and go as fast as they can with as many people as they can put on them.

Please consider taking an excursion thru your ship. The "Antigua On Your Own "is a good one. Basically provides transportation on a comfortable bus to and fro. You're on your own once there.

A taxi would be another option.

Don't even think of taking a public bus. EEK!