Malaria Concern

TWG_ag

Our upcoming Transcanal has stops in Guatemala and Honduras. I just got a notice from Regent that based on our tour to the rural area of the country they are recommending Malaria protection. I have taken the pills before based on a business trip to French Guiana and had no problem with them, but was wondering about other people's experiences in these countries. CDC lists the risk in both countries as low to moderate, but that Malaria is in the rural areas. This stop is at Puerto Quetzal and when we stopped at Santa Tomas and did Tikal five years ago there was not recommendation. I hope someone reads this and responds. Thanks.

Tw

After the nightmarish experience I had last year with Lariam, (never had a problem with Malarone, though), I would be strongly inclined to skip it. You'll likely not be there overnight, when "skeeters" are most active, and I'm sure that Regent is erring on the side of being overly cautious. I'd just be diligent with the deet and clothing.

Bechi

Probably 4 years ago in the spring my husband and I spent 10 days in Guatemala and 2 days in Copan, Honduras. I had taken malaria pills prior to visiting Africa and had some unpleasant side effects. So...no pills prior to this trip. I took bug repellent but didn't use it as we never encountered a mosquito.