WARNING! Bad Go With Gus tour experience

ut_jd

I know many people have very positive reviews for Go With Gus Tours, but I wanted to share a very negative experience for all of you to consider before booking with him.

When traveling to Guatemala in late March, I was looking to these forums to see what would be best for us to do. As I saw a number of very positive reviews of the Livingston Humanitarian Tour from “Go With Gus”, we decided to book that excursion. My initial communication with him was very polite and quick. I submitted full payment and anxiously awaited our cruise.

Upon arrival in Guatemala, I was greeted by Gus’ wife. She was extremely friendly and helpful. She explained what would happen on the tour as well as other tours they offer should we ever dock in Guatemala from the west. In fact, a couple showed up who had paid for the excursion, but Gus had them booked on the wrong day. His wife immediately solved the problem for them by switching them to the current day and fitting them for a boat. So far so good. In addition, the Ryndam’s Captain’s wife and two daughters were on our tour, this will come into play later.

The first sign of trouble was the departure time. We were scheduled to leave for Livingston between 9:00 and 9:15 on the schedule we were given. However, Gus informed us we would not be leaving until 10:15. This made me uneasy as I wondered how we would get everything done in time. After leaving at 10:15, a group of four was missing. We toured around in an area not included in the tour so Gus could give the other people a chance to arrive. I understand giving people a few minutes, but an extra half hour? By the time we began the scheduled trip, we were running about 90 minutes behind.

We traveled over fairly bumpy seas (no fault of Gus, but rather due to the bad weather) until we reached Gus’ hotel, El Delfin, in Livingston. When we got there, we were greeted with four or five local types of fruit, hardly the wonderful spread as described by some on the forums and other sources like Trip Advisor. This stop too far longer than it should have. We were all done going to the restroom and sampling the limited variety of fruit, but were stuck waiting quite a while for Gus. As it turns out, he was handling other business at his hotel instead of tending to us. We left the hotel even further behind.

We stopped at a local village where we distributed some supplies to children who approached us in their canoes. We then went up the Rio Dulce a bit and headed for a school that was not in session (no fault of Gus, it is their Holy Week). Despite having school off and it raining, a number of children and parents came out to greet us. They accepted our supplies and sang a song.

When we left there, we went to watch a woman make fresh flour tortillas over a wood burning fire. To be fair, these were some of the most delicious flour tortillas I have ever had. The problem was, Gus then spent nearly an hour speaking with and explaining various things to the Captain’s wife and her children. This stop was only scheduled for about a half-hour. At this point, a few of us began to get anxious. It was now 2:30and we had yet to receive lunch, go to the hot springs, or do the Livingston walking tour; our ship left at 4:30.

Finally we left for the hot springs. Gus began to realize we were behind schedule and told people we would only be at the hot springs for 15 minutes. The hot springs were dirty and crowded, and the attached bar charged for bathroom use. For once, we actually left right around the time we were promised, about 15 minutes after arrival.

When we got back to his restaurant for lunch, after 3:00,the lunch was still not ready forus. When it was finally served, it was room temperature. As lunch went on, we asked Gus how we could possibly get the walking tour and transportation back tothe ship on time. His only response to us was “In seven-and-a-half years, I have never missed a ship. Your ship leaves at 4:30 my time.” Wrong. The ship left at 4:30 our time. Gus thought he had two hours left, when in fact, he only had one. He kept trying to reassure people that it did not matter that we were late because the Captain’s wife and family was with us and the Captain surly wouldn’tl eave without them. Another few groups on the tour began to ask similar questions about the time.

Finally, Gus responded by saying we were leaving for the walking tour. It is now one hour until the cruise ship leaves, and we are 35 minutes away from the ship. We all went downstairs thinking we would start the quick tour immediately, but we were wrong again. It was now time for the people who only paid their 50% to “settle up” with him. This easily took another fifteen minutes. We then went on a very brief walk of Livingston and boarded his boat to head back to the ship. By the time his boat left the dock, we had a 35 minute ride and it was 4:05 on the button; our ship left at 4:30.

Gus took his navigator from the front of the ship and placed him in the back, we then began to literally race across the water as fast as possible (especially for how wavy it was due to the weather). He had a look of concern on his face that he may be missing his first ship ever. The ride was so rough a little girl looked like she was about to be sick and we were lifting off our seats and slamming back down with every wave. Nobody was enjoying this ride back. When we finally could see the cruise ship, it was a bit past 4:30. We got off Gus’ boat and back onto the cruise ship at 4:35, after the scheduled departure time.

It wasn’t until talking to other passengers that we realized the Captain had stated over the PA that they were going to wait a few minutes for his wife and family, but would have to leave if they did not arrive soon. Ultimately, we got back on the ship, albeit late, but it made for a very stressful port day.

We shared a taxi ride from Costa Maya to Mahahual the next day, and the couple we had just met told us of a previous cruise in which they used Gus for a ruins tour. They said they paid in advance, then were told by Gus that not enough people signed up sotheir tour would be canceled. They protested, and ultimately he sent them on a tour with someone who was not professionally affiliated with Gus and spoke no English (unlike what they were promised). They too were very upset by their Gus tourand said they would never book with him again.

If you set a schedule, you should stick to it. From the start, Gus was running behind and showed little concern for our need to back to the ship on time, rather relying the fact that the Captain’s wife and family was on board. We were supposed to return an hour-and-a-half before departure, instead we arrived five minutes after scheduled departure. I would strongly recommend to anyone visiting Guatemala, not to book with Go with Gus Tours. Perhaps in the future, he should tell people on his tours “In seven-and-a-half years, I have never missed a ship, thanks to the Captain’s wife.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know many people have very positive reviews for Go With Gus Tours, but I wanted to share a very negative experience for all of you to consider before booking with him.

When traveling to Guatemala in late March, I was looking to these forums to see what would be best for us to do. As I saw a number of very positive reviews of the Livingston Humanitarian Tour from “Go With Gus”, we decided to book that excursion. My initial communication with him was very polite and quick. I submitted full payment and anxiously awaited our cruise.

Upon arrival in Guatemala, I was greeted by Gus’ wife. She was extremely friendly and helpful. She explained what would happen on the tour as well as other tours they offer should we ever dock in Guatemala from the west. In fact, a couple showed up who had paid for the excursion, but Gus had them booked on the wrong day. His wife immediately solved the problem for them by switching them to the current day and fitting them for a boat. So far so good. In addition, the Ryndam’s Captain’s wife and two daughters were on our tour, this will come into play later.

The first sign of trouble was the departure time. We were scheduled to leave for Livingston between 9:00 and 9:15 on the schedule we were given. However, Gus informed us we would not be leaving until 10:15. This made me uneasy as I wondered how we would get everything done in time. After leaving at 10:15, a group of four was missing. We toured around in an area not included in the tour so Gus could give the other people a chance to arrive. I understand giving people a few minutes, but an extra half hour? By the time we began the scheduled trip, we were running about 90 minutes behind.

We traveled over fairly bumpy seas (no fault of Gus, but rather due to the bad weather) until we reached Gus’ hotel, El Delfin, in Livingston. When we got there, we were greeted with four or five local types of fruit, hardly the wonderful spread as described by some on the forums and other sources like Trip Advisor. This stop too far longer than it should have. We were all done going to the restroom and sampling the limited variety of fruit, but were stuck waiting quite a while for Gus. As it turns out, he was handling other business at his hotel instead of tending to us. We left the hotel even further behind.

We stopped at a local village where we distributed some supplies to children who approached us in their canoes. We then went up the Rio Dulce a bit and headed for a school that was not in session (no fault of Gus, it is their Holy Week). Despite having school off and it raining, a number of children and parents came out to greet us. They accepted our supplies and sang a song.

When we left there, we went to watch a woman make fresh flour tortillas over a wood burning fire. To be fair, these were some of the most delicious flour tortillas I have ever had. The problem was, Gus then spent nearly an hour speaking with and explaining various things to the Captain’s wife and her children. This stop was only scheduled for about a half-hour. At this point, a few of us began to get anxious. It was now 2:30and we had yet to receive lunch, go to the hot springs, or do the Livingston walking tour; our ship left at 4:30.

Finally we left for the hot springs. Gus began to realize we were behind schedule and told people we would only be at the hot springs for 15 minutes. The hot springs were dirty and crowded, and the attached bar charged for bathroom use. For once, we actually left right around the time we were promised, about 15 minutes after arrival.

When we got back to his restaurant for lunch, after 3:00,the lunch was still not ready forus. When it was finally served, it was room temperature. As lunch went on, we asked Gus how we could possibly get the walking tour and transportation back tothe ship on time. His only response to us was “In seven-and-a-half years, I have never missed a ship. Your ship leaves at 4:30 my time.” Wrong. The ship left at 4:30 our time. Gus thought he had two hours left, when in fact, he only had one. He kept trying to reassure people that it did not matter that we were late because the Captain’s wife and family was with us and the Captain surly wouldn’tl eave without them. Another few groups on the tour began to ask similar questions about the time.

Finally, Gus responded by saying we were leaving for the walking tour. It is now one hour until the cruise ship leaves, and we are 35 minutes away from the ship. We all went downstairs thinking we would start the quick tour immediately, but we were wrong again. It was now time for the people who only paid their 50% to “settle up” with him. This easily took another fifteen minutes. We then went on a very brief walk of Livingston and boarded his boat to head back to the ship. By the time his boat left the dock, we had a 35 minute ride and it was 4:05 on the button; our ship left at 4:30.

Gus took his navigator from the front of the ship and placed him in the back, we then began to literally race across the water as fast as possible (especially for how wavy it was due to the weather). He had a look of concern on his face that he may be missing his first ship ever. The ride was so rough a little girl looked like she was about to be sick and we were lifting off our seats and slamming back down with every wave. Nobody was enjoying this ride back. When we finally could see the cruise ship, it was a bit past 4:30. We got off Gus’ boat and back onto the cruise ship at 4:35, after the scheduled departure time.

It wasn’t until talking to other passengers that we realized the Captain had stated over the PA that they were going to wait a few minutes for his wife and family, but would have to leave if they did not arrive soon. Ultimately, we got back on the ship, albeit late, but it made for a very stressful port day.

We shared a taxi ride from Costa Maya to Mahahual the next day, and the couple we had just met told us of a previous cruise in which they used Gus for a ruins tour. They said they paid in advance, then were told by Gus that not enough people signed up sotheir tour would be canceled. They protested, and ultimately he sent them on a tour with someone who was not professionally affiliated with Gus and spoke no English (unlike what they were promised). They too were very upset by their Gus tourand said they would never book with him again.

If you set a schedule, you should stick to it. From the start, Gus was running behind and showed little concern for our need to back to the ship on time, rather relying the fact that the Captain’s wife and family was on board. We were supposed to return an hour-and-a-half before departure, instead we arrived five minutes after scheduled departure. I would strongly recommend to anyone visiting Guatemala, not to book with Go with Gus Tours. Perhaps in the future, he should tell people on his tours “In seven-and-a-half years, I have never missed a ship, thanks to the Captain’s wife.”

Hi. I am wondering if there was any response for Gus's tour company. I am in the process of trying to research and book tours for next year's Lima to NYC cruise which includes Guatemala, and I am concerned about booking this particular tour after reading your post. I am also wondering if there are any other tours that folks were taking that did not include taking a boat. Just wondering.......:confused:

Hi. I am wondering if there was any response for Gus's tour company. I am in the process of trying to research and book tours for next year's Lima to NYC cruise which includes Guatemala, and I am concerned about booking this particular tour after reading your post. I am also wondering if there are any other tours that folks were taking that did not include taking a boat. Just wondering.......:confused:

Keep in mind, the majority of reviews for Gus have been very positive. I just added my review because many individuals on our particular experience with him, felt it was awful. There are a number of other companies that do various tours in that area too.

There is a company called Happy Fish. I believe they basically ripped off all of Gus' tours; this was a big reason I went with Gus instead. However, everyone I spoke with who went with Happy Fish were thrilled with their tours.

Everyone's experience is different, but our experience with Gus was enough for me not to want to do business with him ever again.

Keep in mind, the majority of reviews for Gus have been very positive. I just added my review because many individuals on our particular experience with him, felt it was awful. There are a number of other companies that do various tours in that area too.

There is a company called Happy Fish. I believe they basically ripped off all of Gus' tours; this was a big reason I went with Gus instead. However, everyone I spoke with who went with Happy Fish were thrilled with their tours.

Everyone's experience is different, but our experience with Gus was enough for me not to want to do business with him ever again.

Hi ut_jd. I after reading about the tours, and the posts, I think that the problem starts when they leave a bit too late because they must wait to fill up the boats. So, if they are scheduled to leave at 9:30 but have only a few people in the boat, they are going to wait to fill up the boat. While it makes sense to do that from a financial stand point it doesn't make sense to have to skip parts of the tour or race back to the ship at the 11th hour in order to get everything in.

Hi there Seabirds.. Paleotrekker here.!..

Just returned from my annual volunteer visits to Mayan archeological digsites.. As usual I arranged for my stay and local travel with "Go With Gus" Tours.. all I can say after a few years of using their services in Guatemala - no problems, people that know their business and do it well, the occasional good surprise with a touch of adventure, just how I like it.. relaxing and well paced - so it was to my surprise that when I opened my email yesterday I find an email from Gus with a note that I will copy and paste in its entirety to this post.

I can only vouch for my experiences and those of the fellow trekkers I have shared the occasional day with on a "Go With Gus" Tour or Trip. So in the interest of helping to air opinions - first of all let me tell you that I like the occasional thrills of adventure specially when there is some suspense in the air.. and if the outcome is the desired one.. well, well.. all is honky-dory and it just feels like you lived one more solid day on this planetary-blue-ball we trekkers call Spaceship Earth.. well enough of my ramblings.. here is the piece in Gus' own words:

" My dear friends and guests of the Livingston- Humanitarian Tour, now that the Cruise Season has ended, I like to take this opportunity to thank you all for your support. On behalf of the children of this ecosystem-Izabal Guatemala, who thru your donations have improved their education and also their parents who have benefitted with your visit; THANK YOU, THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Also I like to take this opportunity to respond to the comment made by Mr. or Mrs. UT JD made on April 2nd, where he/she warns about the services of Go With Gus:

Thru the many years of continued service as a shore excursion tour operator and having served few thousand guests, this is the second time I have to apologize.

To begin with, it is true that the departure time was delayed, but due to the Time Zone change, some of our guests were a bit confused about it and with confirmed reservations, Go With Gus has to wait for the last person to show up.

At the boarding area, there are several boats loading guests from other tour operators, and everybody has to wait on line, which also delayed the departure time on this occasion.

At the relief stop at Posada El Delfin, bottled water and a local fruit sampling is served as courtesy to our guests, but it is conditioned to the fruit season availability.

About Livingston, It was Easter Week Celebration and this village receives 4,000 people a day, for that reason the hotel was crowed and when Gus arrived and started walking towards the office to pick up school donations, he was stopped by some hotel guests.

About returning to late to the ship, the sea was choppy with rough waves and for that reason Gus had to move Benjamin Caal, the navigator to the back to make sure he would not lose control and fall on someone. Our boat captain Nery Ramirez, who has more than 15 years experience, loves to show off by speeding on the last few meters before arriving back at the ship’s terminal but no one was at any danger at all.

It was late, but not as late as though since when we arrived there was also a Pullman bus from the Shorex operator was arriving at the terminal and several passengers still shopping at the art crafts market.

Again I apologize for the delay and stress this occurrence may have caused anyone; looking forward to not happen again.

Enjoy your summer!

Gus and Ira "

Well, Well.!.. trips and tours are always works in progress.. I always take them one hour at a time.. the occasional flat tire, the missed early morning trek because the rain-forest guide stayed too long in the hamaca in the embrace of the love of his life, etc etc.. ha-ha.!..

Well my fellow trekkers, I am going to go to my weekend visit to some salty souls that still need a volunteer hand at Far Rockaway Beach in Queens, New York.

Paleotrekker signing of here.. Sea you around.. ha-ha.!..

• 5 weeks later...

Hello my fellow Sailors....

I like to add a little note to the ones already posted about Go With Gus...

I also took the Livingston Humanitarian Tour with Gus on this occasion and in my opinion it was a very delightful time spent!

Gus is a very caring person who really enjoys showing his beautiful country to others, likes helping the needey children and is well liked by his people.

I had the opportunity to talk to him for a while and I could see that thru his labor of love many people have benefitted thru out the years.

It is true that the tour left a little late and I heard of the passengers commenting about their confusion for the time change; the sea was choppy and things ran a little behind time, but I have also been to several other ports where same things have happened.

With time confusion and weather changes, is not much you can do, but give the guy a break, he is doing a great thing; helping others and not just helping himself.

I highly recommend this tour if you are the kind of person who believes in the power of love and know that with your donation you are helping a needy human being.

Until the next time!

Happy Lucky Cat

from New York

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Guatemala-Went with Go with Gus tours to Antigua. Was a great tour but they told us there would only be 10 in the van and at the last minute shoved 4 more in. Also when they took our fare they said he said he had no change and the other fellow would gives us our change which he never did. Other couples had the same experience.

Have used Gus at the other port and it was a great tour.

Hope Gus reads this and has a talk with his people at this port.

It was a great tour but tarnished by these people actions.

Visited December 17 2016