Food in main dining room

hi could any one tell what the food is like on Thompson Discovery in the main dining room .has anyone got sample menus it would be greatly appreciated thanks

In our opinion the food is very good with a good choice range to suit most people. Portion sizes are good too.

We used the MDR for breakfast and dinner and couldn't find fault. It is one of the nicest dining rooms we have seen on ships.

I doubt if anyone has any sample menus however, unless they were given them in advance because of food allergies etc.

They don't give you copies at the end of the cruise as P&O (used to) do.

We found the food to be very good. There were always 4 or 5 choices of starters and mains. Beef and lamb were often on the menu. If you can't find anything you want there is always roast chicken or salmon as a back-up each day. The upstairs dining room is Italian but there was limited choice, however the food was good. We never found the need to try the 'pay' restaurants as we always enjoyed the main restaurant

We are in our early seventies and enjoy a good choice rather than bulk. This was certainly available all the time in the main dining room, and the service was generally excellent. The wine was not that great but we only want the odd glass anyway. If you leave the smallest morsel on the plate you were always offered the chance to order something else, a nice touch we thought in a busy environment. The Snack Shack is excellent for lunchtimes, particularly enjoyed the fish and chips, while there is always a meat joint in the glass house.

No way you will go hungry!

• 3 weeks later...
In our opinion the food is very good with a good choice range to suit most people. Portion sizes are good too.

We used the MDR for breakfast and dinner and couldn't find fault. It is one of the nicest dining rooms we have seen on ships.

I doubt if anyone has any sample menus however, unless they were given them in advance because of food allergies etc.

They don't give you copies at the end of the cruise as P&O (used to) do.

Hi jake 26

Do you recall if the Discovery has a late night food option as on the other Thomson ships when the self service is open till 1am?

We were on Discovery last year. We found the food in the MDR to be quite good, not outstanding, but more than edible with a good selection. We much preferred the Italian upstairs from the MDR, but the menu was a bit repetitive, menu A one night, menu B the next then back to A the following night etc. This may have changed now but I would very much recommend you give it a try. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Discovery last year. We found the food in the MDR to be quite good, not outstanding, but more than edible with a good selection. We much preferred the Italian upstairs from the MDR, but the menu was a bit repetitive, menu A one night, menu B the next then back to A the following night etc. This may have changed now but I would very much recommend you give it a try. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They still have the alternate menus but there is a lot to choose from. I too prefer gallery 47 to the MDR

We have cruised with Fred Olsen, RCI, HAL, P and O and Thomson Destiny, Dream and Discovery.

The worst food I am sorry to say was on the Discovery.

Food and Service in MDR was poor.

Still had a good cruise tho.