Antigua Lunch

Wavesprite

We were in Antigua a little over a year ago for the day and had a guide (they're waiting at the gift store where the buses drop you off on the Antigua on your Own tour). We didn't have lunch, but there are many small restaurants on and near the main square. He took us to a café for coffee and pastry, and I don't remember the name, but it was great coffee. We're going back there on another cruise in April and would also be interested in the name of a restaurant. Antigua is a lovely town with really nice crafts for sale. There was a guide on our bus, and I imagine he would have been able to recommend a restaurant.

As I recall, I think we had to have the local money. I can't remember exactly (it was 2013) but it was a problem finding a place for us. Probably an upscale place would be easier. I'm not real sure, but I know we left one place before ordering because we knew the money situation wouldn't work. Things might be different now. There is a McDonald's there too.

We are traveling in Feb. so we haven't been yet. I did write down a couple of restaurants that have been recommended:

Lunch in the courtyard of Casa Santa Domingo (from cc)

Hector's Bistro by La Merced Church Ira. Calle Porvente - Trip Advisor 4.5 $10-25

Café Sky 1A Avenida Sur #15 Trip Advisor 4.5 $3-$15

I'm sure there are others listed on the Trip Advisor site.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have any recommendations for good lunch restaurants in Antigua? Also, will we be able to pay in US dollars? Or should we get the local monies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Restante LaFonda de la Calle Real. Excellent and within 1 block of Town Square. Inner Garden Courtyard setting. Spiffy. Very reasonable $$, full menu/Bar, ambiance. Dine where Bill Clinton dines. Ask anyone for directions. Euros, Dollars, VISA, Pesos. Locomotiveman Tom

• 3 years later...

We are in Antigua currently for a land vacation. The best restaurant recommendation came from a local.  Rincon Tipico!   For Q50-55 you get your meat ( Chicken most common), boiled potatoes, salad, tortillas and a local non alcoholic drink with free refills.  They also offered a vegetarian plate that was more than I could possibly eat. Couldn’t ask for a more authentic experience beginning with when you walk in the door and the ladies are making your fresh tortillas in the entry way. 

You will need local currency.  Q50 is approx $6.50. 

Download google maps offline version before your departure.  This will work when you are in Antigua with no WiFi. Will get you where you need to go for some good Guatemalan food!