Paradise - Jan 26th....4 day to Cozumel

FlaGrl4Evr

Sailing on this cruise was myself, Cari and my friend Jay. We are both 50ish.

We didn't book FTF or Cheers nor an excursion in Cozumel. Our main objective for this cruise was just to relax and not plan anything......just go with the flow. It turned out to be a great plan and ended up being my favorite cruise to date.

My friend Jay and I booked this cruise month out. We were having dinner one evening and got onto the topic of cruising. He had never been so I suggested getting on-line and checking out some possibilities.

We both live in the Tampa Bay area so we selected the Paradise 4 day to Cozumel leaving on Jan 26. We really wanted a 5 day but couldn't get a date that would match both of our schedules.

I usually book a balcony or an OV but found a great Military rate on an inside cabin, mid-ship. I'm a tad susceptible to motion so I always try for a mid-ship location.

Since we were only a few weeks out, I only saw 2 inside mid-ship cabins. I called my awesome PVP and he suggested a special booking rate that would get us an OV. Albeit it was a few dollars more than the inside, it would earn us $50 in OBC...It was a no-brainer..So we went with it. We had the option of 2 mid-ship locations...Both being on the Rivera deck. I was a little nervous as I usually book on a higher deck. We selected R169 which was located halfway between the mid and back elevators on the starboard side.

This turned out to be an excellent location and I really enjoyed being closer to the water line.

With booking out of the way......Our brief countdown began.

**** I'll continue a bit later *****

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

Fast forward to a week before the cruise.

I filled out the information and printed our boarding passes as well as our luggage tags. I also ordered a 12 pack of water to be delivered to our cabin.

The staggered boarding time has now been implemented for the port of Tampa so we decided on the 11:00 -11:30 time slot.

I also made a reservation to park my SUV at the Parking Doctors.

The lot is a block or so from the port and budget friendly at $7.99 per day. The Parking Doctors had good reviews and a secured lot. It ended up being a great choice...

Here is where things got a little dicey. The Saturday prior to the cruise Jay came down with a very nasty head cold, fever and a cough. He was so ill that he said he could barely move from his sofa. We opted not to purchase the insurance so I didn't exactly know what our options would be if he couldn't go.

I phoned my PVP who informed me that I could change passengers with only a $50 fee.

I was bummed because I really wanted to sail with Jay but did have a girlfriend that was will to go in his place.

He pumped the fluids and such and was all cleared up and feeling well by Wednesday. It did however teach me a lesson about purchasing travel insurance. I figured that it was only a 4 day and we're driving to the port so declined it but one just never knows so a lesson for me there.

Buy insurance but not thru Carnival. There are other insurers that will waive pre-existing conditions, which is important but omitted from the cruise line insurance. It doesn't matter how short or cheap a cruise is. Insurance will cover medevac by helicopter which costs tens of thousands of dollars. Unlikely but I sat next to a woman whose father had no insurance and had to be flown from a ship.

Day of the cruise:

My friend picked up some bagels and met me at my place. We decided to take my SUV as it had more room for luggage compared to his car. We were planning on having coffee and bagels and leaving for the ship around 10:15 am. The drive to the port is about 30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic. We would then have time to park in the lot and be shuttled over to the port by our selected boarding time of 11:00 to 11:30.......And of course it didn't work out that way.

I had a little snafu at work that I needed to take care of before I left. I told Jay to relax and watch some TV at my place while I drove into work. I estimated that it wouldn't take me more then half and hour tops. I left around 9am and didn't get back until 11:30....Jay was completely freaking out because he thought that we had to be boarded by the 11:30 time frame on our boarding pass. I tried to explain to him that everything would be OK and we could board later than the selected time. He did calm down a bit but was still a bit frazzled.

We made good time driving to the port and was there at noon straight-up. We pulled into the port and gave our checked bags to the porter then drove the block to The Parking Doctors.

These people have it going on...easy-peasy. we pulled into the lot and handed the employee a printout of our reservation. He then told us to pull ahead where there was another employee guiding the vehicles into a parking spot. It kind of reminded me of the set-up that they have at some theme parks.

After parking we were instructed to stand behind our vehicle and the shuttle would make it's rounds. A shuttle came almost instantly and we were on our way to the port. The driver handed out cards with the phone number to call upon debarkation. He also showed us our pick up spot.

We tipped him and were on our way to check in.

We arrived at the port showed our boarding passes and we're on our way through security when we hit another road block.

The woman directly in front of us, at the scanner, had bullets in her purse....No gun, just bullets....WELL....This brought everything to a complete stand-still. They locked the port doors so the passengers outside had to wait. They also stopped boarding. They whisked this woman away to another room and the Hillsborough County Sheriff was called. It wasn't until 45 min later, when they issued the OK, that boarding could resume. The port doors were aldo unlocked to the passengers lined up outside.

While this was going on, the line to get our S&S card was moving so by the time we had our cards in hand, boarding had started up again. We were zone 22 but after a short bathroom break our number was called and we were on the ship in no time at all.

We went up to the Lido deck and easily found a table near the pool. We were told that the ship arrived a bit late to the port that morning so the cabins may not be ready right at 1:30.....No biggie.

I ordered an ice cold beer and Jay ordered a Powerade. He doesn't drink and has been sober for going on 26 years now. The Cheers package didn't make sense to purchase.

We kicked up our feet and listened to the music and watched everyone's happy faces.

Lunch was being served...I wasn't overly hungry but did get a plate of tortilla chips and some pico...Which btw was excellent. It was definitely made fresh with just the right amount of heat from the jalapeno. They also had cheese sauce, and chili for anyone wanting to make ultimate nachos. I have to admit that I'm a bit guilty of loving the grill area. I like having the toppings for the tortilla chips plus the availability of hot dogs, chicken strips and of course the burgers. I'm sure the ship will be getting the 2.0 perks so I will enjoy this area while I can.

Jay went to the Deli and ordered a grilled turkey and tomato on whole wheat. He stopped by the grill area and snagged some fries to go with.

We had a nice meal while waiting for the cabins to open up.

Around 2:30, we found out that the cabins were open so we headed to try and unpack before the Muster Drill.

Here is a pic of our cabin taken from in front of the window and looking towards the door.

Excuse the mess as we were in the midst of unpacking.

198b59929490b4c21c495c12e75b2421.jpg

We unpacked then attended the longest Muster Drill ever ! We were Muster Station D which met in the Rex Night Club.

They now scan you S&S card as you enter your designated area. It is also scanned a second time right before you are led to the lifeboat area. It took forever...They repeatedly called names over the P.A. I assume for any stragglers.... This was the longest drill I've ever encountered on any of the Carnival ships.

On Carnival's behalf, it was organized. It just sucks to have to wait on other people to drag their butts to their stations in a timely manner.

In addition, the leaders of the drill continually asked that all cell phones be put away. There were so many guests that didn't comply hence holding up the drill. They also requested not to actively drink any alcoholic beverages while at the drill....Another rule that folks didn't seem to want to follow.

The drill was finally over around 4:15...We were pulling out of port about the same time.

I was on that cruise!

The most perfect cruise ever!!!!!

Perfect food, service, staff, entertainment, and room .

Cannot wait to go back.

Staff really cares about you.

Amazing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Those 2 checked bags of Jay was really over packing for a 4(?) day cruise:)

Following your nice review and photos.

Yes, he certainly over packed. I tried to tell him but he had to learn the hard way.

I did the same thing on my first cruise....Now I have it down to a science. Lol

I was on that cruise!

The most perfect cruise ever!!!!!

Perfect food, service, staff, entertainment, and room .

Cannot wait to go back.

Staff really cares about you.

Amazing

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Yes, I totally agree. Hardly any lines, staff and guests were all happy, great entertainment and very stress free.

After the muster drill, we returned to our cabin to rest and get ready for dinner.

We both wanted to be up on deck around 6pm to see the ship go under the Skyway Bridge.

It turned out that we both fell asleep. When we woke, I could see the Skyway fast approaching and I didn't think that we had time to make it up to the deck in time.

We were able to see from our cabin but it just wasn't the same as being up on deck and seeing just how close the top of the ship seems to be from the bridge.

Here is a pic of the sunset and approaching Skyway Bridge.

da9596cca59b7fa999b09b26b186cd28.jpg