cruising as a dying wish

Hokapontas

If I ever get a terminal disease, my dream would be to take up a largish room in a luxury line round-the-world cruise, and invite my husband for times he can do it (he works) and whatever friend was available for the rest of the sectors. Probably many friends, one at a time, beds separated. Wouldn't that be great?

So my question is can different people purchase a bed in a room already taken by one person?

I have only cruised Oceania so far. :D

Depends on the specific cruise line rules. On Royal Caribbean, if the stateroom normally sleeps two or more people, you can add or change the second person up to 24 hours before the sail date.

If I ever get a terminal disease, my dream would be to take up a largish room in a luxury line round-the-world cruise, and invite my husband for times he can do it (he works) and whatever friend was available for the rest of the sectors. Probably many friends, one at a time, beds separated. Wouldn't that be great?

So my question is can different people purchase a bed in a room already taken by one person?

I have only cruised Oceania so far. :D

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here for a minute. As a married woman, if I was dying I would only take my husband. Chances are that money you are spending on the around the world cruise, he helped earn. I can't imagine him going to work every day so my wife (dying or otherwise) can take a luxury world cruise with her best buddies. Of course, if you can afford a huge cabin for 4-6 months on a luxery cruise then you can probably afford to spend a million bucks on your friends while hubby works and works and works.

As far are I concerned (meaning me) if I found out I was dying of cancer and only had six to eight months to live I would want to spend that money with my husband, not random friends.

Now that said, my ex SIL was dying of cancer. Her father, as it turned out, was also dying of cancer only 6 months ahead of her. That means that not only did she get to watch her beloved father die she got to see him deteriorate just like she would be in a few months.

She was quite wealthy and decided to take her parents on a few bucket list cruises. Dad had about 3 months left on the counter. They hit port in Great Britain. He had to be sent to the hospital in an ambulance. Because they were on a cruise there was SO much red tape for him, his wife and his daughter. They had a choice to make. Should they leave him in the GB hospital where no relatives for friends could come visit him? Pay the cost of the airfare and the hotel, meals, local travel etc.

The other option was to fly him home. Since they had only got the free Princess insurance there was a lot of money out of pocket. Not a problem for her (she self insured). That was to be her last trip as well.

So, I'm guessing your question was an "what if" question. I just want you to see the opposite side as well.

Hi, thanks for that. Your poor Sister in Law and her mother.

My thoughts were mainly of that stalwart cruiser on Oceania who died last year on a world cruise. He finished his life doing what he loved. His beloved wife continued on.

I just couldn't think of a better journey than one where you get to enjoy my husband's company and also dear friends (not randoms, anyway). I think it would not be at the very end of my life, but at diagnosis, before any heroic treatments. x

Hi, thanks for that. Your poor Sister in Law and her mother.

My thoughts were mainly of that stalwart cruiser on Oceania who died last year on a world cruise. He finished his life doing what he loved. His beloved wife continued on.

She did not continue on

She flew home with the body after some problems with the insurance company

One of the other passengers on the RTW cruise did interchange people along the way but not sure how that was done

check with the cruise line

If you book a cruise when you are DX with a terminal illness your insurance may not cover your final trip home

it could be more costly than the cruise its self

World tours IIRC are a series of separate cruises; you should be able to book the series and just change the names for each leg.

That said I would be very concerned about insurance issues and would need EVERYTHING in writing AND be self insured in case of a problem (consider reimbursement a bonus not a requirement).

As for who is with you during that cruise, that's 100% between you, your spouse, and those who come with you.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Forums mobile app

We are all of course different and want different things. But after having gone through a serious health issue this last year, I would want to be at home with my family and friends, and doctors. My own comfy and familiar home.

Thanks for all the replies.

It would just be something for a long way out. Nobody wants to be terminal on a cruise on purpose.

It was merely a question of mechanics. Thanks LH25 for the additional info and suggestion of interchanges. I will ask the cruise line if this should ever happen.

Everyone has different views on whether it is wise. But in the end, not being able to take it with me, (and my kids wanting for nothing) I can dream.