New cruiser looking for advice

noangel1981

Hi everyone!

After reading so many of your experiences here on the forum I finaly took the plunge and booked my first vacation ever. I will be going to Alaska rt out of San Francisco in Sept. of 2018 on the Grand. As I will be going solo can anyone share any tips, expectations, suggestions or stories you may have.

Thanks

Hi everyone!

After reading so many of your experiences here on the forum I finaly took the plunge and booked my first vacation ever. I will be going to Alaska rt out of San Francisco in Sept. of 2018 on the Grand. As I will be going solo can anyone share any tips, expectations, suggestions or stories you may have.

Thanks

Don't forget to join the roll call for your Grand Princess cruise.

Spend time on the Alaska board. Loads of great tips there, including recommendations for reputable independent excursions if your up for it. Usually less money, smaller groups and sometimes same providers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone!

Thanks

Do a whale watching excursion in Juneau. Walk the Creek Street part of Ketchikan. Check out the Red Onion saloon/brothel in Skagway. Dress in layers & have a rain parka or umbrella with you.

If you booked under the Sip & Sail just stay aboard and drink. There is plenty of wildlife to spot and beautiful views to see from the ship while you drink captains bounty after captains bounty.

I did some reading about Alaska and the Gold Rush, before I went. It made the ports come "alive". I believe that I enjoyed it more because of the reading.

Klondike Fever By Pierre Berton

Good Time Girls By Lael Morgan

•  

Gold Rush Women by Claire Rudolf Murphy

Spend time on the Alaska board. Loads of great tips there, including recommendations for reputable independent excursions if your up for it. Usually less money, smaller groups and sometimes same providers.

Hi everyone!

Thanks

In reference to the excursions. Keep in mind that while you may very well pay less for independent excursions than for those purchased through the cruise line, there is one difference between the two. If something happens on the excursion that causes you to be late in getting back to the ship and it ends up sailing, the cruise line is under no obligation to get you transported to the next port of call as would be the case if you were on an excursion purchased on the ship. Now, the chances are slim that such an event might occur, but it is a possibility. If you do take an independent tour, then I would also advise you to make sure that you take a copy of the Princess Patter, the daily ship's newsletter with you when the ship. The reason is that it will contain the name and contact information for the Ships Agent for that port and that is the person whom you should contact in the event you do miss the ship.

I'm not trying to frighten you in any way, but as a new cruiser I figured that you probably didn't know this and thought that you should be aware of what one side-effect is of using an independent agent. Whichever way you decide to do excursions, go, have a great time and enjoy yourself to the max!

Tom

Plan on spending a lot of time outdoors. See if the ship offers a small tour up close to the glaciers when you have your fjord cruising day. Ours was booked before I found out about it. Assuming you are going to Juneau try to see Mendenhal Galcier before it melts more and gone forever

In reference to the excursions. Keep in mind that while you may very well pay less for independent excursions than for those purchased through the cruise line, there is one difference between the two. If something happens on the excursion that causes you to be late in getting back to the ship and it ends up sailing, the cruise line is under no obligation to get you transported to the next port of call as would be the case if you were on an excursion purchased on the ship. Now, the chances are slim that such an event might occur, but it is a possibility. If you do take an independent tour, then I would also advise you to make sure that you take a copy of the Princess Patter, the daily ship's newsletter with you when the ship. The reason is that it will contain the name and contact information for the Ships Agent for that port and that is the person whom you should contact in the event you do miss the ship.

I'm not trying to frighten you in any way, but as a new cruiser I figured that you probably didn't know this and thought that you should be aware of what one side-effect is of using an independent agent. Whichever way you decide to do excursions, go, have a great time and enjoy yourself to the max!

Tom

For Alaska, my personal experience was that the companies I booked with (Harv & Marv for whale watching in Juneau and Chilkoot Tours for White Pass in Skagway) guaranteed to get you back to the ship on time and if they didn't they would get you to the next port.

Both stated they'd never missed a ship. This & all the great reviews they got gave me the confidence to book independently. I wouldn't always consider booking independently (getting to Pisa & Florence and Portofino spring to mind, read loads about how to get there on our own but decided it was a bit too risky for my taste and booked with Princess). So, would say to each his own and do what you're most comfortable with.

Alaska was our first cruise, too and I'm sure you'll love it no matter what you do but beware it may just give you the 'bug'. [emoji6]

For Alaska, my personal experience was that the companies I booked with (Harv & Marv for whale watching in Juneau and Chilkoot Tours for White Pass in Skagway) guaranteed to get you back to the ship on time and if they didn't they would get you to the next port.

Both stated they'd never missed a ship. This & all the great reviews they got gave me the confidence to book independently. I wouldn't always consider booking independently (getting to Pisa & Florence and Portofino spring to mind, read loads about how to get there on our own but decided it was a bit too risky for my taste and booked with Princess). So, would say to each his own and do what you're most comfortable with.

Alaska was our first cruise, too and I'm sure you'll love it no matter what you do but beware it may just give you the 'bug'. [emoji6]

I agree that there are many excursions that are less expensive than those handled by the cruise lines and have never had any problems. However, the original poster stated that she was brand new to cruising. That being the case, I felt it was in her best interest that she realize that the benefit of reduced cost also has another side to it. And that it is one that can be very expensive should it occur. She is now able to make an informed decision and decide for herself which way she wants to go.

Tom

Thanks so much, I will definitely book my excursions through princess for peace of mind. I got the AIBP and I am pre-paying the tips. Now to narrow down the list of excursions in each port...decisions, decisions. :)