Beach at Amatique Bay Resort in Santo Tomas De Castilla

stjude95

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was there 02/03/10. The beach is about a 20 minute boat ride from the dock. The beach is very nice. There are lounge chairs by the pool and at the beach. The BBQ was very good also. The served grilled chicken, steak, corn on the cob, baked beans, macaroni salad and some other things I can't remember right now. The people there are very friendly. They have a huge water slide that my kids enjoyed. But beware of all the vendors standing outside the restrooms!! I recommend this beach break and bbq if you just want to relax, lay in the sun, eat, drink and be marry. You will never have to look for someone to bring you something to drink. The waiter is pacing the beach constantly.

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I was just at Amatique resort on 11/23. I checked around a little and it really seemed like booking through the cruise ship was the way to go. I paid $59 for me and $29 for each child and that included the boat ride. The resort has a tent right off the ship with all of their information and you could sign up right there. I did not book in advance as I wanted to see what else was out there first. After we decided on Amatique I looked into taxis/tours to see if this was at all worth doing on your own and it wasn't. They were far more expensive once you factor in the resort's $35 per adult admission price. My kids actually thought the boat ride was fun. They went fast and it was bumpy so that was a win. They had multiple boats going and returning. We felt like we could pretty much leave when we wanted. We did leave early because my kids started to get bored with it. On the return our boat only had 7 passengers and they did not make us wait for others.

As far as the resort goes I would say that if you are looking for a beach/swim day at this port this seems to be the only real option. The beach was OK I guess but this was not water we wanted to swim in. Santo Tomas de Castilla is more of a shipping port than a beach vacation spot. Certainly not clear water at all. They do a good job cleaning up debris at the resort but you could tell they get a lot of it and have to clean constantly. Not one person went in the water while we were there. They do have hammocks on the beach and a little pier with benches that were nice. The sand was not great either but we did find some shells so the kids enjoyed that.

The pool was large and had interesting features and was a nice break from the cruise pool. However, we were very disappointed that the water slides were not working. That was the whole reason I took my kids. It seemed temporary but I would definitely check first. The smaller slides are built like a pirate ship and castle battle. Kids were still able to play on these especially after I splashed the slides with water and they did have fun exploring. The big slides were totally closed. It was not crowded at all so perhaps that was the reason. I felt like the pool and the property was well maintained as they were constantly cleaning and they did have security all around. The wait staff was friendly and available.

We made our own fun this day but the combination of a mediocre beach and no water slides totally defeated our purpose of going here. We walked around and explored the big tower and other features (pier, horses, etc). It was fun to explore and we ended up having a good time but I would not go back. I think this is best if you are looking for a place to lay around and relax. That said if beach/swim is what you are looking to do in Guatemala I think this is your only real choice in this area. We did not do the kayaking add on but we road the boat back with others that did and they really enjoyed it.