Best method with 2 young kids - MCO to Port Canaveral

gqboy1

Hello forum helpers! It's our first time going onto a cruise and I'd like your help/opinion with a dilemma. We will be taking our 4 y.o. and 2 y.o. in January. We arrive in MCO around 1pm on Saturday but our cruise is not until the next day (Sunday). What are your thoughts in getting us from MCO to Port Canaveral?

Option 1: Stay in MCO overnight and rent a car the next day to drive to port?

Option 2: Rent a car and drive straight to the port area the same day (finding some place to stay in the port area for 1 night)?

Option 3: Stay in MCO overnight and hire a shuttle to take us to the port area the same day?

Option 4: Hire a shuttle to take us to the port area the same day (finding some place to stay in the port area for 1 night)?

These are the 4 options I can think of. I'm trying to seek out the best method to minimize cost + stress (with the 2 kids).

Thanks!

Rental car pickup at the airport and drop off at the port the next day. Have you thought about visiting the Magic Kingdom the evening of the first day and staying at a Disney hotel?

Go with option 1 or 2 - choose a hotel that meets your needs/budget, spend some pool time in the afternoon and dinner out. All of the car rental agencies in PC/Cocoa Beach offer free shuttles to the port.

I agree with the others - car rental!

Here is a map with Canaveral car rental companies and locations - http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/car-rental/

January may have cold spells at the beach, so I think you should consider staying in Orlando and visit Disney Springs that afternoon and early evening! You can take the Disney buses to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see wildlife or book a fun themed dinner location at a Disney Lodge and take a boat or bus over there!

Edited by SteerageJoe

Didn't really consider Disney options as I wasn't sure about the cost. I guess it's something I can look into. I wonder if renting a car is less/more costly than a shuttle? I was thinking a shuttle would be easier since I don't have to "do anything" and it's more convenient but I suppose a car will provide more options and less restrictive?

How early do I need to get to the ship to board by (I think it leaves at 430pm)?

The Disney Springs option is free (parking, etc.) and how much you spend is up to you! The kids will love it!

The buses and water shuttles from/to Disney Springs and the resorts are also free. You can actually have a wonderful evening without spending much at all! You can even watch fireworks from several public areas!

If you like to board early, plan to arrive in Cape Canaveral between 10am and 10:30am. Otherwise arrive after 1pm to avoid the crowds.

It is a 60 to 75 minute drive and it will take no more than 30 minutes to drop the car and shuttle to the terminal.

How early do I need to get to the ship to board by (I think it leaves at 430pm)?

Shuttles will cost $20-25+ per person compared to probably $50 or less for a rental - and a rental gives you the flex to stay where you want, shop where you want, and dine where you want. :cool:

If the ship leaves at 4:30 boarding/check-in will close about 3:00 - check your cruise documents. Do not be late! :eek: We like to arrive about 11 (when all departing guests are cleared out) and are usually on the ship enjoying lunch and a drink-of-the-day by about noon. :D

I probably wouldn't visit the Magic Kingdom (one day admission is over $100 per person). But Disney Springs is a good option.

If you stay at a Disney-owned resort, you can take Disney's free airport transportation (Magical Express) to the resort. Then, you can rent a car at Disney's transportation center the following day. Or you can take Magical Express back to the airport and pick up the cruise line shuttle.

One thing that might be cool; a Disney Character meal. There are some meals outside the parks in the resorts. But make reservations soon. They start taking reservations six months in advance, and some meal times fill up quickly.

Edit to add: I see your cruise is in January. Plenty of time to consider a Disney option. Unless your sail-away date is January 8. If that's your date stay far away from Disney. That's the day is the annual WDW marathon. Transportation is horrible that day due to road closures.

Edited by LadyBeBop

Hello forum helpers! It's our first time going onto a cruise and I'd like your help/opinion with a dilemma. We will be taking our 4 y.o. and 2 y.o. in January. We arrive in MCO around 1pm on Saturday but our cruise is not until the next day (Sunday). What are your thoughts in getting us from MCO to Port Canaveral?

Option 1: Stay in MCO overnight and rent a car the next day to drive to port?

Option 2: Rent a car and drive straight to the port area the same day (finding some place to stay in the port area for 1 night)?

Option 3: Stay in MCO overnight and hire a shuttle to take us to the port area the same day?

Option 4: Hire a shuttle to take us to the port area the same day (finding some place to stay in the port area for 1 night)?

These are the 4 options I can think of. I'm trying to seek out the best method to minimize cost + stress (with the 2 kids).

Thanks!

Since you will arrive at MCO at 1:00 p.m. for a one night stay and are looking to minimize cost and stress while traveling with two young kids (ages 2 &4), my suggestion is to pick up a rental car at the airport, stay at a hotel near the airport, and then drive to Port Canaveral the next morning. You know your kids best. After flying, would a visit to Disney be enjoyable or stressful? Or would they be better off napping and enjoying a more low key afternoon at a hotel pool?

In April, we did a one-way car rental through Budget at Orlando airport and dropped the car off at their Cape Canaveral location. They have a shuttle that can drop you off at the cruise terminal. There are several car rental companies to choose from.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites on Gateway Village Circle, Orlando, which is a few miles north of the airport, and we were very happy with our stay there. The cost was much better than booking a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The hotel is reasonably priced, has a pool, and includes a nice free breakfast. It was nice to have a separate livingroom and kitchenette area. It is walking distance to several restaurants on Gateway Village Circle and there are a number of other restaurants, a Publix Supermarket and a Walmart Super Center within 3 miles from the hotel. Homewood Suites is located close to Semoran Blvd, which provided easy access to Highway 528 (a.k.a. Beachline Express) a toll road that you take to Cape Canaveral. After the cruise we booked a shuttle from the cruise terminal to Orlando airport.

We find 11:00 a.m. to be a good time to arrive at the cruise terminal (Royal Caribbean). We boarded quickly, ate lunch and had time to explore the ship before sail-away.

I hope that your family enjoys your first cruise.

:) Mary

Edited by marys350
added info.

I probably wouldn't visit the Magic Kingdom (one day admission is over $100 per person). But Disney Springs is a good option.

If you stay at a Disney-owned resort, you can take Disney's free airport transportation (Magical Express) to the resort. Then, you can rent a car at Disney's transportation center the following day. Or you can take Magical Express back to the airport and pick up the cruise line shuttle.

One thing that might be cool; a Disney Character meal. There are some meals outside the parks in the resorts. But make reservations soon. They start taking reservations six months in advance, and some meal times fill up quickly.

Edit to add: I see your cruise is in January. Plenty of time to consider a Disney option. Unless your sail-away date is January 8. If that's your date stay far away from Disney. That's the day is the annual WDW marathon. Transportation is horrible that day due to road closures.

Thanks for the tip. My sail away date is indeed Jan 8! I'm arriving on Jan 7 to MCO.

Thanks for the tip. My sail away date is indeed Jan 8! I'm arriving on Jan 7 to MCO.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe rent a car and stay offsite. However prices near the parks may be higher than normal due to the marathon.

FYI: The price for a one bedroom suite with two queen beds at Homewood Suites, Gateway Village Circle, Orlando, for January 7, is listed as $95.00 AAA rate or $119.00 regular rate on their website. They also have two bedroom suites available.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on this. We are strongly leaning towards renting a car, staying overnight in MCO and driving to port the next day. Will start comparing some adequate accommodations to stay at and start figuring out the return portion of the trip. Thanks all!

Depending on your return flight time you can do another one way car rental (if a later flight) or have a pre-arranged shuttle waiting for you when you step off the ship.

Popular shuttles are: Cortrans, Cocoa Beach Shuttle, Travelnx, or Executive VIP Limo. (Don't do a taxi...way to much $$$$)

Have a great cruise!!!

With two little kids I would stay at a hotel near MCO (with an airport shuttle) and then hire a private transfer to the ship the next morning. We've had nothing but frustrating experiences with rental cars at Cocoa Beach / Port Canaveral. Private car will drop you off right at the ship. No need to hassle with returning a rental car and then transferring all your stuff and waiting for a rental car shuttle to the port. Not sure if you are bringing car seats with you or not, but many shuttle services and rental car services can provide them.

You will definitely want to make sure then that your rental car / shuttle service has car seats available. Florida car seat laws are fairly lax, but kids 5 and under have to be in a car seat/booster.

My experience with rental car places is that you can reserve a car seat in advance, but that doesn't necessarily guarantee they will have them when you get there. Depends on demand and if the people before you have returned them yet or not.

I think your idea of renting a car and staying near MCO is s great idea we did that in March and it was very easy and convenient. I don't know that I would bother with trying to visit Disney during marathon weekend, but Sea World or the Orlando Eye complex would be good options.

You will definitely want to make sure then that your rental car / shuttle service has car seats available. Florida car seat laws are fairly lax, but kids 5 and under have to be in a car seat/booster.

The law is a secondary consideration to the safety of your children - the laws of Physics apply everywhere. The airline will check the seats for free if you do not use them on the plane.

I vote for option 2 personally. I did the same last January 9th. A one-way rental from Budget was $25 total. There's the beach at Port Canaveral and restaurants where you can watch other ships leave.

We stayed at La Quinta Cocoa Beach.

In my experience, rental cars on the way back to MCO after the cruise are more pricey. I'd go with Cortrans shuttle unless you can find a rental car for less than the shuttle would cost.

Good luck!

Just an opinion but:

Option #2. Without a doubt. 100%

Travelled last March break with a 2 y.o and a 4 y.o on Freedom from Port Canaveral. So I know exactly where you're coming from.

I wouldn't even think about squeezing in Disney with kids that age and the cost/time factor. Next day tired issues, cost for an afternoon at the park etc. etc.

Get the travel out of the way, no headaches, and no car rental issues day of cruise, NO STRESS!!!

We stayed at the Radisson at the Port. Paid a small fee for the shuttle next morning that dropped us right at the terminal entrance. About 3 minutes away. (no exaggeration) We ate dinner at one of the Port restaurants and the kids got to see sail away for other ships, talk about getting them excited! (check the schedules)

In fact, it was so smooth and stress free I'm only looking at Port Canaveral sailings for next time round.

I think based on my departure date and the recommendation to stay away from Disney due to a marathon conflict, we'll probably avoid Disney this time around. I like the idea of the kids being able to see the other ships leave and getting them excited. We have some AirMiles that expires by the end of the year so I'll look into what kind of accomodation I can get from that. NateUpNorth, how did you get to Port Canaveral from MCO?

I think based on my departure date and the recommendation to stay away from Disney due to a marathon conflict, we'll probably avoid Disney this time around. I like the idea of the kids being able to see the other ships leave and getting them excited. We have some AirMiles that expires by the end of the year so I'll look into what kind of accomodation I can get from that. NateUpNorth, how did you get to Port Canaveral from MCO?[/QUOTE]

I drove from Niagara Falls, Canada, to Port Canaveral. :) :eek: My brother and family flew in and took a cab/shuttle. I'll ask him what they paid.

Also, you don't have to eat at a restaurant at the Port to watch the sail away the day before, you can do so from the shore. The restaurants get pretty busy, but if you're like us you're there early anyway 'cause the kids want to eat. We went to Rustys and scored a table right at the rail. Made the kids day. We ate at both Fishlips and Rusty's this trip and found Rustys patio to be a little more kid friendly. (although we did sit upstairs in the "bar" area at Fishlips......)

Edited by NateUpNorth

Since you will arrive at MCO at 1:00 p.m. for a one night stay and are looking to minimize cost and stress while traveling with two young kids (ages 2 &4), my suggestion is to pick up a rental car at the airport, stay at a hotel near the airport, and then drive to Port Canaveral the next morning. You know your kids best. After flying, would a visit to Disney be enjoyable or stressful? Or would they be better off napping and enjoying a more low key afternoon at a hotel pool?

In April, we did a one-way car rental through Budget at Orlando airport and dropped the car off at their Cape Canaveral location. They have a shuttle that can drop you off at the cruise terminal. There are several car rental companies to choose from.

We stayed at the Homewood Suites on Gateway Village Circle, Orlando, which is a few miles north of the airport, and we were very happy with our stay there. The cost was much better than booking a hotel in Cocoa Beach. The hotel is reasonably priced, has a pool, and includes a nice free breakfast. It was nice to have a separate livingroom and kitchenette area. It is walking distance to several restaurants on Gateway Village Circle and there are a number of other restaurants, a Publix Supermarket and a Walmart Super Center within 3 miles from the hotel. Homewood Suites is located close to Semoran Blvd, which provided easy access to Highway 528 (a.k.a. Beachline Express) a toll road that you take to Cape Canaveral. After the cruise we booked a shuttle from the cruise terminal to Orlando airport.

We find 11:00 a.m. to be a good time to arrive at the cruise terminal (Royal Caribbean). We boarded quickly, ate lunch and had time to explore the ship before sail-away.

I hope that your family enjoys your first cruise.

:) Mary

Thank you - just booked at the Homewood for the night before. How long was the drive over to the port? What time did you leave? We like being on the ship early

Edited by lelder1