Are there any cruise lines that allow you to stay at a port for a week?

sa cruiser52

Are there any cruise lines that allow you to stay for a week at a given port to be picked up and returned home on the same cruise line? I know this is a weird question but my hubby doesn't fly and there are sooo many islands we would like to explore more than one day. Any input would be appreciated.

Are there any cruise lines that allow you to stay for a week at a given port to be picked up and returned home on the same cruise line? I know this is a weird question but my hubby doesn't fly and there are sooo many islands we would like to explore more than one day. Any input would be appreciated.

You could do this if you pick a home port and do the first and third cruises from there. Like a back to back but miss out the consecutive cruise.

Regards John

The only way I think that would done is if you can find a cruise line that would agree to debark you from one cruise early, and embark you on the subsequent cruise late. But, you'd have to pay for two cruises that way.

And most cruise lines no longer allow early debarkation/late embarkation.

only by booking two separate cruises. and no discount is given for missing any days aboard

That's an interesting question. I can see where folks are coming from who are saying you could do this if you book two cruises. But, unless you can find a cruise that originates from the island you are visiting- I can't see how this would work. I don't think any cruise line will let your initial embarkation be part way into the cruise. I could be wrong though.

Several cruise lines did this back in the early '80's but not anymore. Our first cruise together on the NCL Starward did just that in Ocho Rios (which was also much nicer in those days than today!). Too bad they don't do it anymore - it was a great experience, but apparently not worth the coordination effort that it took. They had to set aside a block of cabins for the 'split cruisers' and strictly limit the numbers to the assigned number of cabins.

There are so many wonderful places and/or resorts to visit in the U.S. and Canada. Why go to all this trouble to go to an island.

If you want a cruise, drive to a port city and tour along the way.

Staying in a vacation destination is more possible in the Med where you can take a cruise one way and then take another cruise back. Since your husband doesn't fly he could do a transatlantic and then board a ship in Southampton for the Med or wherever and then spend time in some cities in Europe use the train to get around, it's easy, then take another cruise back - Cunard comes to mind as a good line for the return trip. I know it is not Caribbean Islands, but in a way, this would be a considerably better trip than just the Caribbean.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Take a repositioning cruise to Europe, and you can cruise all over Europe through cruise ferries. They are huge ferries that even have duty free shops, restaurants, basic rooms. Sail overnight to an island or country, stay a few days, sail to another country/island...then get to the UK and take the QM2 back to the US. EM

Last year we did a cruise from Fremantle, (Western Australia) on the P&O (Australia) Pacific Jewel. It was going into dry dock in Singapore. We had 12 days in South East Asia before the Jewel returned to Sydney. We had a great time, different ports on the way to Singapore and return.:)

I have just been looking into this. My husband doesn't fly either and we used the train but now his health is poor and I can't do everything anymore.

Too old to lump cases!

Sail to Venice. Month there. Sail back.

Yes, two cruises. Two lines. What is there not to love?

I'm pretty sure there are inter-island ferries, you just need to get to one of the islands first. Is there a ferry from TX to one of the Caribbean islands? Then you can island hop from there. There are ways to see the Caribbean without cruising.

You can cruise to Freeport on the Grand Celebration from West Palm Beach. (Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line). I think they may have packages where you can stay. There is the Bimini Fast from Miami, and the Balearia from FLL. Not sure where she goes, but Mr. Google might help. There is Fiesta Mail around the Bahamas and FLL, but not sure if she carries passengers.

http://www.bahamas.com/how-to-get-here-grand-bahama-island-ferries

http://mailboatbahamas.com/

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

You could do this in Alaska aboard the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system.
You could do this in Alaska on a regular cruise line--sail from Vancouver to Alaska on one ship, take time on your own to see part of the interior, then sail back to Vancouver on a different ship.

I read of a British author who couldn't fly, but needed to have book signings in some English speaking countries. He took a section of a world cruise from the UK to Australia, signed books, then took a repositioning cruise to the West coast of America. From there he travelled by train to different locations, ending up in New York then home on the QM2.

There are small lines which roam the world- doesn't Voyages of Discovery do that?

Louis (Celestyal) used to allow people on board at different Greek islands- a bit like a ferry service- but I don't know how it works these days. There's many ferries around those islands, though, and thousands of people use them for travel and staying.

Inquire with specific lines you might be interested in traveling on. It could be possible to take a cruise that would be stopping in St Martin, let's say as part of a one week cruise, get off, stay a week and get back on the following week however you'd most likely have to pay the full 7 day fare for each.