Arriving FLL the day before cruise with 2 toddlers

hisleepy

Hi everyone,

I just booked my flight to FLL for my December 3rd cruise. I will be arriving the day before at around noon with my husband, 2 year old and 3.5 year old.

I have a quite a few questions and looking for advice from my dear CC helpers.

Hotel:

1. Would you recommend W Fort Lauderdale (on points) or Hyatt Place 17th Street? Which one is closer to kids attractions, or malls or kids friendly restaurants?

Transportation:

2. Is car seats required for my kids on taxi and shuttle by law? We will NOT bring our car seats as we'd rather pay more attention to the kids than our belongings, but we would rent one if needed.

3. What is my best option from airport to hotel, hotel to attractions/mall/restaurant, hotel to port? Taxi, shuttle or car rental?

4. What is the best option from port to FLL? My flight departs at 3:30.

Attractions:

5. What would you suggest to do with my 2 and 3.5 year olds for an afternoon?

Restaurants:

6. Any recommendation on where to eat? Anything good at Galleria Mall?

Thanks,

Alice

Hi everyone,

I just booked my flight to FLL for my December 3rd cruise. I will be arriving the day before at around noon with my husband, 2 year old and 3.5 year old.

Hotel:

1. Would you recommend W Fort Lauderdale (on points) or Hyatt Place 17th Street? Which one is closer to kids attractions, or malls or kids friendly restaurants?

Transportation:

2. Is car seats required for my kids on taxi and shuttle by law? We will NOT bring our car seats as we'd rather pay more attention to the kids than our belongings, but we would rent one if needed.

3. What is my best option from airport to hotel, hotel to attractions/mall/restaurant, hotel to port? Taxi, shuttle or car rental?

4. What is the best option from port to FLL? My flight departs at 3:30.

Attractions:

5. What would you suggest to do with my 2 and 3.5 year olds for an afternoon?

Restaurants:

6. Any recommendation on where to eat? Anything good at Galleria Mall?

Thanks,

Alice

Hyatt Place is a good option (use http://www.valuetrips.com) they have a free shuttle bus that will take you from FLL to the hotel...no car seat required. HP is also next to the Harbor Shopping center that has several stores....a Publix market and a couple of restaurants (Duffy's a favorite). There's also more shops across the street (17th Street)...this area is a great location when you have no car. You can also trolley to the water taxi if that's of interest. You could also use the hotel shuttle (fee) to get to the port...even though your little ones can ride the short distance in a taxi that's a decision you will need to make.

The W is one of my favorite hotels anywhere but with two toddlers, I would go with the Hyatt Place on 17th Street.

Your toddlers may enjoy The Jungle Queen which is one of the cruises.

Good restaurant would be Duffys.

Hi everyone,

Transportation:

Commercial passengers vans and taxis will not be held responsible for an unsecured child but be aware that under Florida law the guardian would be charged - not the taxi or van driver - for having an unsecured child. I remember at least one report on this board that a taxi driver refused to take passengers from FLL to PE because they did not have a car seat for their toddler. That's what made me look up the applicable statute :D.

Requirements from the Florida DMV website (http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/safety-laws.php):

The January 2015 Florida law states:

• Children 5 years old or younger must be secured in a federally approved child restraint system.

• Children 3 years old and younger must use a separate car-seat or the vehicle's built-in child seat.

• Children 4 through 5 years must sit in either a separate car seat, a built in child seat or a seat belt, depending on the child's height and weight.

• Children 6 through 17 years old must be in a seatbelt.

According to the Florida Senate website (http://flsenate.gov/laws/statutes/2014/316.613), specs of the law in section 316.613(6) state that it is the parent's responsibility not the driver's to comply with the law:

The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation.
It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s.
to comply with the requirements of this section.