French Polynesia, weather in november

ISLANDS LOVER

I know weather is always unespected and have read many times that one shouldn't be worried about seasons to plan a trip for FP, but reading quite few people here sailing french polinesia during october and november I wouldn't like to loss this chance to get a first hand "REAL" information about how has been the weather?¿?¿?¿

November or january are my only two possibilities to get enough days for this trip, (at list 18) but it is really so far that I wouldn't like to take too much risk with rain. We are mediterranean so going such a long trip to get lot of rain or don't enjoy so beautiful islands with all their nice colors would be really a pity!! then I prefer to wait until 2010 and try to asure best season.

I also have some doubts to decide for the 7 or 10/11 nights.

I'm not sure if the society islands get best itinerary on the 7 nights than on 10/11, and then going for a land stay to the tuamotus, or if really the 10 or 11 nights it's worth to sail, does it really enjoy enough the tuamotus?

it is a dreamed trip for us and would like to get at it best!

I really appreciate your opinions.

thank you!:)

Island Lover, for us the weather was great, very few showers but also more hot & humid than was comfortable for us to go hiking. However, if your low activity or water based activity it was perfect. Of course, no one can guarantee that it is like that every November!! Even if you do get some rain, it will still be very warm.

We chose the 11 day itinerary for a couple of reasons. We have the time, it's a long way to travel for just a week, it wasn't that much more expensive and the diving in the Tuamotu's was supposed to be world class. My husband is a diver and he would rank the Rangiroa diving as among his top 5 (he's done over 100).

There is not a lot to do in Fakarava or Rangiroa, they are small atolls, but there are wonderful beaches and even if you don't dive, the snorkeling is better there than in the Society islands. The tenders took us to the "aquarium" in the Rangiroa lagoon and it was fabulous snorkeling. You can rent bikes in both places, while hubby was diving in Rangiroa, I rode into the main village on the island. AS well, the itinerary was changed and we only spent one day in Rangiroa as opposed to the 2 days that was indicated in our itinerary. They added the other day to Moorea. We spent the first full day at sea, the next 2 on Fakarava & Rangiroa and the 3rd at sea so of your extra days only 2 of 4 are spent on the islands.

I guess the choice of itineraries will depend on what you are looking for. We enjoyed both the Tuamotu's & the Society's but did feel that the Society islands were "prettier" but that is definitely a subjective opinion! The beaches on the Tuamotu's & the snorkeling was better, land based options were better on the Society's.

For myself, I am glad we did the 11 day itinerary, it was nice mix of different landscapes.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. We have a web site for our photos so I will post again when hubby gets them fixed up & loaded in.

Rain is almost always in the forecast for French Polynesia at any time of year. There is a "dry season" (May thru October) but this just means it doesn't rain quite as much as in the "wet season". It is really difficult to tell the difference and the rain mostly isn't a spoiler. Actually, the rain is kind of nice. Being the tropics, the rain helps cool things off and it's more refreshing than anything. The rain is not cold and you'll find that you will dry off quickly. If you're really worried, bring a poncho. Generally the rain only lasts an hour or so but there can be prolonged storms or even typhoons (hurricanes). Most likely, the worst you will encounter will be a brief downpoor or thunderstorm at any time of year. Of more consequence is the wind. Rough seas can mean no snorkeling, diving, etc. For people subject to motion sickness, this can be a real negative.

So when is the best weather? Most every day!

• 3 weeks later...

We are just back from the 7 day trip and were perfectly pleased with 7 days. We had 4 days in Papeete before hand and that was just perfect..one day for exploring all of Tahiti,going all along the coast round the Island with Dave, one day for the ferry to Moorea and a tour around that island by local bus and then 2 days in town and around for museums etc. We loved the day tour by Dave of the coast and waterfall etc. We found him through the tourist bureau right at the harbor.

We had very little rain..I, too, had heard this was the rainy season (11/28-12/14) and we only had a downpour one night which did not affect anything we wanted to do...good to clean everything off!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Sherry

Archived