Cruise in 25 days still need airfare

maryhou

YIKES......... I am getting scared. I have been searching multiple times a day since we booked a month or so ago. Found airfare coming home on Sunday evening but going to FLL is between $400/$500.

Does anyone ever get a last minute flight deal? I don't look forward to driving 18-20 hours..... that would be a horrible way to start a vacation in my opinion

No more last minute deals for airfare. It actually costs more if you book airfare at the last minute.

Thats why I stopped flying to my cruise destination and started driving to port. Yeah. all the way from Michigan. I use the money I would have spent on expensive flights and extend my vacation. I realize not everyone can do this.

Also, airlines have gotten really good at pricing at the right times so as to load each flight to the fullest. I haven't seen many empty seats in recent years when I have flown. Usually none at all. This means waiting until the last minute you are competing for very few seats. Hence the high price.

If there is a price drop, my experience when booking a flight for vacations is it's about 2 to 2 1/2 months out. And it's usually short lived.

The best prices are usually between 45-60 days out.

I would HATE to do that drive....not so bad going TO the cruise, but coming home after a vacation??? Nope...I'd need a vacation from the drive!!

Check prices into other nearby airports.....if the savings is more than transportation to FLL, book it!

Edited by cb at sea

Book now!!! Once you get inside of the 21 day advance purchase time frame the fares will really go up. Your chances for getting low airfares was 6 months ago. If for some reason there are any last minute airfare deals it will probably be within a week of your cruise and be a very restrictive fare and only available on certain flights that my not mesh well with your cruise schedule.

You will not see any good deals cropping up for the weekend between Christmas and New Years - fares will only climb if they change at all this close in.

You might think about driving to Memphis, Raleigh-Durham or Atlanta - start looking at flights from those and any other sort of half-way points. Otherwise, bite the bullet and book a high priced flight RIGHT NOW - or planning on driving all the way.

It is always a juggling act - figuring whether to book cruise or flight first, and then hope the other gets cheaper. Frankly, the possible savings are rarely worth the gut-wrenching. Book both the same time - if cruise prices come down before final payment, you can take advantage of it. If flights come down more than the $100 change fee, you can change, if they don't, then you've only spent a couple of hundred to be able to fly when you want without the panic --- and possible huge cost.

And when you're booking your flight to your embarkation city (or nearby, if you're going with one option someone mentioned), make sure to fly in at least a day ahead and don't try to fly in the same day. Weather conditions (even if the weather is okay in Florida) can affect flights from all over.

Prices can vary through a period of time, but with departure being this close, I wouldn't count on any drops. Book now before you pay double.

I was waiting to book airfare as well for Jan. 2 days ago it was €600 (which is still pretty high). And all of a sudden, prices went up to €900. I'd better fly business class with prices only at €1.600...

I don't know where you're flying from, but try looking into some smaller airports as well, which include some driving from your home. But that way, you could still save a substantial amount.

Airfare tends to go up about 6 weeks out, and it doesn't go back down.

Especially not going to go down at the holidays, it may very well double if you wait much longer.

Either buy now, or plan your driving route(and don't forget to add in the cost of parking). Possibly check out Amtrak?

I unfortunately have to agree with the others based on what i have seen.

We have a cruise booked around the same time and with 4 of us it is cheaper to drive. It's 15 hours- less than you but still not fun. But what we are doing is leaving 3 days ahead and stopping in the middle for two nights (Savannah) and then finishing the drive the day before we embark. That way we aren't in a car for too too long any day (except the return trip when we have to drive straight through because of school). Do you have the time and a semi-interesting place to stop? That could make it more tolerable and even extend the vacation a bit. We also booked refundable hotel rooms in case there was an unexpected airfare sale so we could change our plans. I've continued to check but airfare has only gone up. But doing something like that could give you the flexibility to jump on a deal if you see one.

Good luck, and I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Try booking a different day of the week. I went to Detroit a couple of weeks ago and booked three weeks out. Started to book on a Monday but got distracted at work before completing the reservation. Went back on Tuesday and the fare had dropped 20%.