Miracle Large Generator? On Deck 10 Starboard

blackwd

Random question, but does anyone know what that large container with I believe a generator is used for on deck 10 starboard aft on the Miracle? Just returned from trip to Mexican Riviera yesterday and whatever is inside was "running". Noticed it last year on same cruise and thought it was temporary, obviously not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are generators and they are temporary, but every now and then they have to run it to make sure it stays in operating form in case it's needed... they put these on all the ships after the Triumph debacle, but once they got through dry dock they're supposed to be revamping the power facility on each ship. I thought they planned to remove the portable generators once that was done, but I can't confirm...

After the Carnival Triumph incident a few years ago Carnival added these additional generators to their ships. They eventually are enclosed in nicer surroundings when the ship goes into drydock. These generators provide additional power in the event the engine room cannot operate.

The ships were built with emergency generators, but these were sized for life safety purposes - navigation, radio, emergency lighting, launching lifeboats, etc. They were not sized to run hotel services - galleys, toilets, more lighting, etc. The additional generators are to support some basic hotel services - still not everything, but more than they had on the Carnival Triumph,

Emergency generators need to be run from time to time to keep them in good shape. (I worked in IT operations for many years and we had emergency generators for the data centers. These were tested and run for a while monthly to ensure they were ready when needed.)

Not just Carnival, either....I think most large cruise lines are installing "deeper" capacity emergency generators in the wake of the Triumph incident. Not enough power to run the A/C but enough to run most other hotel operations on board.

My workplace has a slightly smaller -- but otherwise similar -- generator since it houses a nationwide operations center, and it is tested at least weekly. It sounds like a BIG plane taking off right next to us.

Not just Carnival, either....I think most large cruise lines are installing "deeper" capacity emergency generators in the wake of the Triumph incident. Not enough power to run the A/C but enough to run most other hotel operations on board.

My workplace has a slightly smaller -- but otherwise similar -- generator since it houses a nationwide operations center, and it is tested at least weekly. It sounds like a BIG plane taking off right next to us.

Not really. Carnival only vowed to do this for the Carnival brand. What they are doing with these generators requires a vast rewiring of the ship's power. The main fallout of the Splendor/Triumph fires was to reroute the main power cabling from the forward engine room to outside the aft engine room on its way to the switchgear room. I would not be surprised that they are actually not keeping an additional generator after the wiring modifications as this requires carving out space for the generator, a switchboard and a fuel tank. What Carnival is doing with the main power rewiring is approaching what is required for all new ships, which is the "Safe Return to Port" design requirements, which mandate that a fire or catastrophe in one engine room will not affect the other engine room in any way, and that a problem with one propulsion system will not affect the other (separate compartments for the two propulsion systems). Many older ships nearly met the Safe Return requirements years before it was mandated, and even the Splendor/Triumph class ships tried to do this with their twin engine rooms, but it was a poor design to run the cabling where it was. On older ships, there is commonly one "bottleneck" where a problem could take out all power, frequently it was the "fuel treatment" room where the fuel was purified, heated, and pressurized for use in the engines. The new requirements require two separate fuel treatment rooms.

I think the Miracle got screwed out of a lot of upgrades and dry dock work because of the plan to send it to China. Now, it's staying in the US and has only partial upgrades/work compared to other ships. :(

maybe this generator issue is part of that?