Legend - "bathroom smells"

lasekeye

This is our first cruise, so a question re "smells from bathroom use":o

We have a balcony room on Carnival Legend, do we need to think of bringing room spray or are there fans in the bathrooms?

I have read so many packing lists that include this type of product. DH assures me there must be fans, but I'm not so sure.....

Edited by lasekeye
editing

Not a true fan, but a negative pressure situation. Smells dissipate quickly, but sometimes not quickly enough ;).

We bring a small cut out from a solid gel freshener. A few shakes of the container and the smell is gone. We keep ours in a Kinder egg container. It hasn't dried out for over a year.

Not a true fan, but a negative pressure situation. Smells dissipate quickly, but sometimes not quickly enough ;).

We bring a small cut out from a solid gel freshener. A few shakes of the container and the smell is gone. We keep ours in a Kinder egg container. It hasn't dried out for over a year.

This is correct. There is no fan that you switch on like in your bathroom at home, but there are large exhaust fans that pull air from whole blocks of cabin's bathrooms 24/7, so it's like your bathroom fan is always on.

You may also notice a bad odor from the bathroom when no one has used it. This is typically caused by the A/C drying out the water in the bathroom floor drain trap (not the shower drain, but there will be a floor drain outside the shower, either a gutter type at the door, or a round drain tucked under the toilet. A glass of water poured down these drains daily will eliminate these odors quite quickly.

The bathrooms on all the cruise ships/cruise lines smell to me, and the fumes from the room don't dissipate quick enough. I take several solid room fresheners onboard and place one in the sleeping quarters and one in the bathroom, along with spray deodorizers/neutralizers.

The only time I've ever noticed a smell was when we were at sea for several days in a row due to already scheduled sea days and a missed port. I found that keeping the toilet lid closed between uses eliminated the smell. It wasn't strong enough to be bothersome and we could not smell it from the room.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Think of it this way. Whatever happens in the cabin stays in the cabin. You'll be in a small, confined space with another human being where there is little air circulation. Plan accordingly to whatever that scenario brings to mind.

Think of it this way. Whatever happens in the cabin stays in the cabin. You'll be in a small, confined space with another human being where there is little air circulation. Plan accordingly to whatever that scenario brings to mind.

There is more air circulation than in your home, unless you have your windows open. The HVAC system supplies 20% of the air volume of the cabin as fresh outside air every hour, and removes 20% of the air volume via the bathroom exhaust.

This is correct. There is no fan that you switch on like in your bathroom at home, but there are large exhaust fans that pull air from whole blocks of cabin's bathrooms 24/7, so it's like your bathroom fan is always on.

You may also notice a bad odor from the bathroom when no one has used it. This is typically caused by the A/C drying out the water in the bathroom floor drain trap (not the shower drain, but there will be a floor drain outside the shower, either a gutter type at the door, or a round drain tucked under the toilet. A glass of water poured down these drains daily will eliminate these odors quite quickly.

Nice tip about the floor drain. Thanks. :)

PS. Why is it that sometimes the toilet is difficult to get to flush? Is there a quick solution for this too? I often have to press the button several times before anything happens, and this isn't specific to one room. It seems to be common on all ships.

This is our first cruise, so a question re "smells from bathroom use":o

We have a balcony room on Carnival Legend, do we need to think of bringing room spray or are there fans in the bathrooms?

I have read so many packing lists that include this type of product. DH assures me there must be fans, but I'm not so sure.....

No fans.

I always bring a spray that can also be used on fabrics. Nearly every cabin we've stayed in on over 10 cruises had smelly pillows and bedding. The sheets and duvet covers have always been clean, but pillows and blankets are not changed out between guests. I give it all a good spritz. Also, I bring a couple of the small deodorizers that come in a dual pack. I put one in the bathroom and the other in the closet. That pretty well takes care of unpleasant odors.

Nice tip about the floor drain. Thanks. :)

PS. Why is it that sometimes the toilet is difficult to get to flush? Is there a quick solution for this too? I often have to press the button several times before anything happens, and this isn't specific to one room. It seems to be common on all ships.

The toilet operation is completely mechanical, and relies on the vacuum present in the lines to operate the valves. Sometimes, this is caused by a combination of partial blockage of the pipes in your area along with a "high demand" (lots of flushes being made at the same time). Sometimes, this is caused by the engineers opening the system to clear a blockage, or by a blockage itself. If there is insufficient vacuum present, all the pushing of the button in the world won't do anything. However, once the button has been pressed once, as soon as the vacuum is restored to the toilet, it will flush on its own (what I've seen referred to here on CC as the "ghost flush").

There is a product called PooPurri that works well for bathroom odors. A few sprays on the water surface before toilet use and there is no bad odor problem.

THIS^^^^ You beat me to it lol. The stuff works great. I bring it every time.

Perhaps chengkp75 can check out the PooPurri and made sure it is ok to use. The ingredients are essential oils from various herbs and flowers.

I would hate to recommend something that might mess up the plumbing system.

I've used PooPouri, though not on a ship. There is nothing there, and the amount of it is so small, it would cause no harm.