Tea kettle on Inspiration...?

twincheryl

Problem is, the carafes are used for coffee, so the water tastes like coffee, even when used in tea. And I'm allergic to coffee, so it's a no go.

I'm not allergic to coffee, but I know exactly what you mean. It's the oily, tannin chemicals that leach into the carafe liner (especially if it's plastic). It just can't be removed, and then makes anything other hot liquid in there taste like coffee.

Maybe there's a special services department you could ask about getting a pot that's not had coffee in it for your room?

Problem is, the carafes are used for coffee, so the water tastes like coffee, even when used in tea. And I'm allergic to coffee, so it's a no go.

The smaller carafes are used for water only. You just need to request that. Our waiter informed us when we complained about the coffee taste.

Thanks... just decided to head to buffet in the morning with my Contigo cup. Yes, several of the Royal Caribbean ships have had electric tea pots that they could wrangle out of storage if the cabin steward was so inclined, especially the ships that sail in Europe. Totally agree about the coffee taste in the big carafes!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
The smaller carafes are used for water only. You just need to request that. Our waiter informed us when we complained about the coffee taste.

Good to know, thanks!

When we order, we get tea and coffee. The hot water has always come in the smaller one and coffee in the larger -perhaps so we could tell them apart!

I usually take my travel kettle everywhere with me, especially when I come over to the USA, as I like a nice cup of tea first thing in the morning (So British, such a cliché :)). Do you think this would be allowed? (......and by the way, tea needs to be made with water at boiling point. Water from a carafe? Just NO! :eek:)

I usually take my travel kettle everywhere with me, especially when I come over to the USA, as I like a nice cup of tea first thing in the morning (So British, such a cliché :)). Do you think this would be allowed? (......and by the way, tea needs to be made with water at boiling point. Water from a carafe? Just NO! :eek:)

No

Long Beach (my home port) is extremely good at finding things.

The water up on the Lido is extremely hot. Good enough for Lipton, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, I'm Irish, so right there with you the tea thing. I used to bring my own teabags, but really, with the water not being boiling, it was pointless. And no, unfortunately, kettles are not allowed. You'd think John Heald, being English, would do something about it!!!

We just came off a Princess cruise they had afternoon tea time:D. Now with both being owned by CCL corp. do they have afternoon tea time on the Carnival ships? Tea time was cool with the mini sandwiches and scones and I would do it again. However I would not be like $h!T I missed tea time, then again I like tea but I am not a tea snob.....LoL.

Yes, they have tea time at 3pm on sea days (don't think it's available on port days). Only Lipton and green tea are available, other teas are available for $1.95. No problem bringing your own.

I think Carnival's Afternoon Tea is better than Princess's. no scones but better sweets and sandwiches.

Perhaps drink green...

Below Boiling Water Temperature

White and green teas have delicate leaves, and therefore require below boiling water temperatures between 170 and 185 degrees Fahrenheit. Too high of a temperature will cook the leaves and ruin their delicate flavors.

Medium Boil Temperature

Oolong teas should be brewed at temperatures between 180 and 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

Full Boil Temperatures

Black and Herbal teas brew best at a full boil temperatures 208 and 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just came off a Princess cruise they had afternoon tea time:D. Now with both being owned by CCL corp. do they have afternoon tea time on the Carnival ships? Tea time was cool with the mini sandwiches and scones and I would do it again. However I would not be like $h!T I missed tea time, then again I like tea but I am not a tea snob.....LoL.

Yes, Carnival has tea time and it used to be nice, but on the last cruise I took (October 2016), it was pretty lame. The kinds of sandwiches and sweets were limited and there were only two types of free tea available. (Fortunately, I knew this in advance and took my own teabags.)

It's been a few years since I sailed on Princess, but I recall their afternoon tea as being rather nice.

Ugh, Liptons! ;p No, no, no!! I'll definitely be bringing a supply of Tetleys teabags :) As for green and other types of tea, they are perfectly acceptable, just not for my wake-up cuppa.

I must however praise the lovely coffee I've sampled on all my holidays in the USA :hearteyes:

I often wonder what visitors to England make of the hospitality tray provided in most hotels here. The sachets of Nescafe are particularly vile! :'):'):')

• 3 months later...

Bring a vacuum bottle of 1 or 1.5 liters and ask the coffee bar for water from the coffee machine. It is well filtered for taste and is over 200 F. I put loose tea in a cup and pour the water over it. As many of you know the second water on the tea is better than the first, so having piping hot water in the vacuum bottle makes the second water perfect for the tea in the cup.

I have also used the bottle for soups or hot chocolate to take ashore if the weather is threatening.