Docking in Manhattan

Emtbsam

Darn it! We just drove by there this morning, and I didn't look. We were driving home after spending the night in Lower Manhattan - an impromptu one-night getaway - and we drove up the West Side Highway, right by the piers. In fact, we saw hordes of people exiting the ships. There were so many pedestrians crossing the Highway that they had a police officer stationed there to keep them from jaywalking.

There were two ships in today; a Carnival one, and the Norwegian Breakaway.

So when all else fails, look to Google. In Google Maps, if you look at their satellite view, the one ship which is in port on the day the image was taken is tied up to the pier bow first.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2%B045'59.2%22N+73%C2%B059'55.2%22W/@40.766449,-74.0008617,556m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d40.766445!4d-73.998673?hl=en

Why does it matter? Yes, ships usually go in bow first; but what's important is the lovely view going up the Hudson River, and the amazing skill of the tugboats as the maneuver the ship past the Intrepid and into the dock. You'll probably want to be on an upper deck, not on your balcony, to watch the whole process.

For us, docking in NYC is extra special because we'll be less than 10 miles from home when we leave the ship.

I have cruised into and out of Manhattan many times and the ships have always been docked bow in. I'd saw the wicked currents there would make it extremely difficult to back a ship into the space. They have a hard enough time pulling in bow first.

I agree with Joanandjoe, you'll want to be topside for that ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we completed our Amazon River-Caribbean cruise in San Juan on the Silver Cloud, we pulled with the nose pointing towards land. BUT, later in the day when we walked by that docking location, the ship had been turned around and was pointing in the opposite direction to be ready for an easier sail-away. My guess is that it might depend on the timing in a port, the Captain's preferences, etc. Not sure it is always done just one way every time.

Agree with Keith and the others for the smart urging of "I would get out on the open deck for the arrival."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,522 views for these postings.

Thanks for all the replies. The first time I sailed into NYC was in 1955 pier 92, I believe. I have sailed in and out many, many times since, but the last time was in 1967. In fact, I have photos of the Rotterdam sailing under the the partially finished Verrazano Bridge in 1963. In those days, the big Cunard liners needed as many as 6 tugs due to the strong currents of the Hudson River. I was just wondering whether with today's bow thrusters anything had changed. In so many ports, SS ships dock stern first in order to be able to leave quickly in case of need.

I fully intend to be up bright and early to see the revenue cutter/pilot boat come along side, but in the evening, I was curious whether we could enjoy the lower Manhattan skyline from our veranda on deck 11 or whether we would be looking at the George Washington Bridge (not a bad sight in itself).

Photos arriving to Manhattan from last September. Keith

Appreciate these great pictures from Keith. Wonderfully enjoyable visuals!! In March, we did an early morning sailing into San Francisco Bay and super enjoyed that going under the Golden Gate Bridge. Rather dark and foggy, but a very cool and interesting experience.

Glad that our OP said: "I fully intend to be up bright and early to see the revenue cutter/pilot boat come along side."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,091 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.