Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old October 4th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Biggest Loser

The show the Biggest Loser is on tonight, and it is from the Sapphire Princess, might be a good show to catch as I'm sure they will go into the best foods to have and working out while on board a cruise. We are booked to go on the Sun for twenty days sailing October 21 ( back to back 10 day cruises, and I sure don't want to have to buy a one size fits most mumu when I get off the ship. Fiona

Old October 4th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love this show. I wish it was on year round because I am always so motivated to keep going on my weight loss journey after watching it.
The cruise ship will be cool to watch too tonight. We sail for the first time in 3 weeks!

Old October 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, we were just on the NCL Sun last week, and I would like to personally recommend the STAIRS ONLY Onboard Fitness Plan! We did end up hitting the Sun gym a few times. But I'm convinced that most of our onboard exercise came from our strict NO ELEVATORS policy!

Hubby and I did not set foot on a single Sun elevator over the entire cruise! According to my handy-dandy pedometer, we averaged walking 6.72 miles per day, most of which was trekking the stairs between our cabin on Deck 4 and the Buffet on Deck 11 several times daily. (See how that works out? ) We even schlepped our bags up the steps for Express Checkout on Thursday! I ate as much and as often as I wanted, and only ended up gaining .4 lb!

Countdown to Michelle & Robin's "Fernando" Cruise 2008

Old October 5th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the heads up on the stair only fitnesss plan Michelle, I think we will give that one a try as well as one mile before breakfast and dinner. Sugar67, I too love the show it keeps me motivated as well. I keep feeling if they can do what the trainers put them through, I can at least do my half hour tapes and go for a walk at least once a day. Only 17 days till the Sun Princess, can hardly wait. Fiona

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:17 AM
5,000+ Club

The show was great last night, but heart-wrenching!! It gave me motivation to try to get daily exercise (including stairs only) when I sail again. I just hope I can stay away from the dessert buffet!!

Old October 5th, 2006, 09:47 PM
5,000+ Club

I thought the show was a tear jerker. I felt so bad for those that lsot and had to say good-bye to their love ones. I couldn't imagine.

RCCL, Liberty of the Seas, 01/14, Western
CARNIVAL, Paradise, 01/13, Western
CARNIVAL, Dream, 11/12, Western
RCCL, Adventure of the Seas, 03/12, Southern
CARNIVAL, Dream, 12/11, Western
CARNIVAL, Pride, 10/11, Bermuda
CARNIVAL, Elation, 01/11, Western
RCCL,Freedom of the Seas, 09/10, Eastern
DISNEY, Magic, 5/09, Western
RCCL, Monarch of the Seas, 1/09, Bahamas
RCCL, Monarch of the Seas, 11/08, Bahamas
RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 02/08, Bahamas
RCCL, Mariner of the Seas, 05/07, Eastern

RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 12/06, Bahamas
RCCL, Sovereign of the Seas, 06/06, Bahamas

RCCL, Majesty of the Seas, 04/05, Bahamas
CELEBRITY, Century 04/02, Western

Old October 6th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't seen the show yet, it's DVR'd, because I was in class. I'll watch it tonight. I can attest to the difference taking the stairs makes though. The only times we took the elevators were the one or two occasions when high heels were involved. Between the cruise and 4 days at Disney I actually lost weight.

Tami

Old October 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

My last cruise I was with my mom and sis, mom couldn't do stairs at all, so we had to elevator everywhere. Ugh!! I hate people squeezing on when there is NO more room!! Next cruise comin' up...just me and DH. I love the idea of stairs only!! We're definitely going to do that!!

Amanda

Get your own countdown at BlingyBlob.com

Radiance of the Seas to Alaska 6-4-05
Admiral Azure Seas 8-87
Admiral Azure Seas 8-88

Old October 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM
5,000+ Club

Thanks all for the idea of using the stairs only - such a good idea - and as others have mentioned the elevators can be quite full and lets not even mention some of the kids that like to play on them!!! Jan

ps - I never miss the biggest loser - it is a great motivator to keep going on my weight loss!
8/17/08 - Mariner of the Seas - & 35th wedding anniversary
8/23/09 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise -36th anniversary - 5 days late
10/9/10 - Radiance of the Seas - From Tampa, FL-DD's first cruise
10/8/11 - Oasis of the Seas - Eastern (DH's early 60th birthday)
9/14/12 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda (Jan's 60th birthday cruise - oh my!)
8/17/13 - Oasis - B2B Cruise - 40th Anniversary (DS & DDIL (first leg of cruise - 1st anniversary).
8/24/13 - Oasis - 2nd leg of the cruise
9/5/2014 - NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda - 1st suite - mortgage paid off celebration!!!
8/15/2015 - Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean cruise (3 new ports) - 42nd Anniversary

I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. (William Penn)