? about airlines and luggage

Mbouck1

I read a while back that most airlines are adding a $25 charge for 2nd bag that is checked in. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and is this extra charge per person or is it total bags that we check in. Seems the way things are going with the airlines eventually people are going to be doing a lot of laundry onboard ship just so they don't have to pay this rediculous(sp)charge.

I read a while back that most airlines are adding a $25 charge for 2nd bag that is checked in. Can anyone tell me if this is correct and is this extra charge per person or is it total bags that we check in. Seems the way things are going with the airlines eventually people are going to be doing a lot of laundry onboard ship just so they don't have to pay this rediculous(sp)charge.

So far it's United and USAir - but I would expect others to follow. I believe you get one free bag per paying passenger. Airlines have to do something...if the price of the ticket even reflected what they are paying in fuel, many folks might opt out of cruising altogether because they couldn't afford to fly to the port. I mean, look at how much heat the cruise lines are taking for a $5 per person per day fuel surcharge.

Thanks, that is what I thought. We will be flying to Seattle for this cruise. I am certainly glad that I live in an area where there is many ports to go out of without flying. Guess my wife is going to have to pack extra careful this cruise so we can at least save some room for souveniers to bring home.

Thanks, that is what I thought. We will be flying to Seattle for this cruise. I am certainly glad that I live in an area where there is many ports to go out of without flying. Guess my wife is going to have to pack extra careful this cruise so we can at least save some room for souveniers to bring home. You still have to keep in mind the weight limit also.

Thanks, that is what I thought. We will be flying to Seattle for this cruise. I am certainly glad that I live in an area where there is many ports to go out of without flying. Guess my wife is going to have to pack extra careful this cruise so we can at least save some room for souveniers to bring home. You still have to keep in mind the weight limit also.

I think this might be a good thing for my husband & I, we really need to learn to pack better. We always pack things we never wear, so this next cruise we are going to only pack one bag each + a carry on. I hope:rolleyes:

Jan

Another thing you can anticipate for the future is the elimination of the 50 lb. allowable weight. Some of the foreign carriers have already gone to a 44 lb. max and we can eventually expect our U.S. carriers to follow suit.

Pia

Spirit does not allow any checked luggage for free. They are currently charging $10.00 per bag, per leg and that's only if you do it on line ahead of time. If you wait until you get to the airport, it is $20.00.

It's making it a little harder to compare ticket prices but it does look like the wave of the very near future.

You have got to be kidding!! I cant pack with just one piece of luggage. I certainly hope JetBlue hasnt done this yet. My neighbor that we travel with takes one piece of luggage for just their shoes.

Maybe I should try wearing all my underwear and several layers of clothing on the plane:D:p, that is til they start weighing the passengers:D:p

You could start by checking Magellan and Travelsmith for underwear. If you don't mind a bit of hand washing, you can make a big dent in how many pairs you take on a trip.

Pia

I just think of it as an additional cost to the vacation. I think I am a conservative packer and can't image not taking 2 bags/person. DH and I each check 24" and 21" bags (smaller than some I've seen) and also have carry-ons.

I just think of it as an additional cost to the vacation. I think I am a conservative packer and can't image not taking 2 bags/person. DH and I each check 24" and 21" bags (smaller than some I've seen) and also have carry-ons.

Wow...that's alot of luggage. :eek: Well...you have me beat. We each bring 1 pc. of luggage and 1 extra with snorkeling gear, sunscreen and some misc. (3 total) My husband thought I over-packed...he should kissing my feet and bowing to me when he hears this....LOL :p

Two 28" 's or even a 28" and a 26", would serve you much better than 4 little ones.

I`m laughing at the 2 peices of luggage we have had 20kg (44lbs) for years here in europe and some airlines have cut it down to 15kg (33lbs), which i think is rubbish, my sister went to tenerife last year and they only allowed one bag 15kg in the hold and one 5kg on the carry on, if you wanted an extra allowance it cost you more ££`s , whats a woman to do with one little case:(

I`m laughing at the 2 peices of luggage we have had 20kg (44lbs) for years here in europe and some airlines have cut it down to 15kg (33lbs), which i think is rubbish, my sister went to tenerife last year and they only allowed one bag 15kg in the hold and one 5kg on the carry on, if you wanted an extra allowance it cost you more ££`s , whats a woman to do with one little case:(

This is exactly what I stated in an earlier post. I just found out about it because I'm flying Egypt Airlines to Cairo in May and they only allow 44 lbs. There goes six lbs. of shoes. ;)

Another thing you can anticipate for the future is the elimination of the 50 lb. allowable weight. Some of the foreign carriers have already gone to a 44 lb. max and we can eventually expect our U.S. carriers to follow suit.
Actually, "20 kg (44 lbs) per person" has been for a long time (ie decades) the consistent standard international economy class baggage allowance. Those airlines that have more recently moved to "23 kg (50 lbs) per person" have actually added 15% to that norm.
I think I am a conservative packer and can't image not taking 2 bags/person.
Do you wear everything that you take, or have you just got a lot of stuff "just in case"?

For 15 years, I've been flying to cruises of 7 to 12 days in length, with overnight stays and overnight flights at either end, taking no more than one suitcase weighing no more than 50 lbs in total. I've never yet run out of clothes to wear!

We'll be flying US Air PHL-Athens in July and I'm already trying to figure out how we'll each get by on 1 med. size bag! I am not an overpacker by any means, but 12 nts on cruise and a couple of days pre and post -- I welcome all advise from those of you who have pulled this off. We have one of those large suitcases but I'm afraid it would weight too much.

Two 28" 's or even a 28" and a 26", would serve you much better than 4 little ones.

This is an idea. Spread out the weight and leave a little room to bring home a few souvenirs. Anyone have any idea how much the larger suitcases might weight after being packed? I think I may just pay $25 for 1 extra bag. In the scheme of things, I think having laundry done on the ship will cost more.

We're doing a 12 night TA with a few days in Barcelona on the front end and are planning on 3 suitcases and 1 carryon (roller, under the seat size). The plan is 1 suitcase for Barcelona (the size many people carry on) and 2 for the cruise (1 lg, 1 sm).

I don't think the restriction will affect our flight over, but it may on our return to Boston. Either way, it's worth the $25 to us. We like to keep what we carry to a minimum and hate trying to live out of a suitcase. We'll unpack the small one for the precruise and the others can stay as they are until we board and are settled into our cabin.

The fee is for the second bag each way, hence, an additional $50 per person roundtrip for bringing that second bag on UA and US after May 5.

Well we're lucky we booked in advance and will still be allowed the two bags but I'm trying to cut back just to get used to it. We never use all the clothes we take and we get free laundry on board so we may be able to pull it off with just one bag each and a carry on. My DH swears he can get a weeks worth of clothes in his backpack he carries on. It's just the shoes that are hard to part with.

Archived