Advice on Rome Athens itinerary ports please

Barrycat

Well we were on this cruise in reverse order--Athens to Rome back in summer 2012 and just loved the itinerary.We sailed mid July and it was hot,hot,hot all the way.

We arrived a day early in Athens and took the metro to Syntagma Square and trundled our cases to our nearby hotel.It was mid afternoon and about 38 degrees but we had an Acropolis to climb and sallied forth with suncream and sunhats in place.This was hard going in the heat but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.We used up all our water during the climb but there is a drinking water tap at the top where you can replenish.Walking back down we took a look at the Dionysus and Herrodius Atticus theatres.I studied some Greek drama at college so was very interested in these.

In the evening we had simple salad in the old town and the following morning went to see the changing of the guard in Syntagma Square before catching a bus to the port. Unfortunately we did not get to the museum.

Our first cruise stop was Monemvasia.We tendered here and went off the ship at our leisure to start a slow walk towards the rock over the causeway and up the gentle incline,which although a hot climb was not arduous.Once in the walled town we just wandered up through the streets stopping here and there to make small purchases.

At Gythion we took the ship's tour to Mystras.This is a very old Byzantine walled town which I found absolutely fascinating.As usual,it was very hot in the open air but there are plenty of lovely old churches to visit for a cool down.We were glad to have a guide here to tell us about the place.

Back near the port we found a place to buy olives,olive oil and wine.

In Sicily as it was my birthday,we had booked a car and driver for the day to do the 'Godfather Tour' taking in some of the places where scenes from the film were shot.It was over 40 degrees this day and we were glad of refreshments at the Bar Vitelli where Michael first sees Apolinia.We walked up to the church where they had filmed the wedding.

Back down in Taormina we visited the amphtheatre and walked the length of Corso Umberto stopping for gelato.

On a previous Windstar cruise when we had been in Giardino Naxos we'd used the same tour company for a trip to Mt.Etna and then wine and olive tasting.Taormina is a very busy place but has a magic of its own and you do get wonderful views of Mt.Etna from here.

The island of Lipari is very popular with Italian holidaymakers and local ferries were coming and going here.We just wandered about here taking in the local shops,church,the castello and the archeological museum.

Previously,in Sorrento we had taken the local train to Pompeii and this time decided to do Herculaneum but as it was so hot I just couldn't face it.Instead,we wandered around Sorrento stopping for a drink here and there.

It's very busy and always full of tourists.Pompeii is a must though!

Back on the ship it was very peaceful as most people had gone on a tour.As there was only a handful or so of us the captain was giving out cooling vodka cocktails!.That night we had the on deck barbecue with the lights of Sorrento as a backdrop.

On Capri we bought tickets from Capri town to Anacapri taking the funicular first then a bus.At Anacapri we took the chair lift to Monte Solaro which is a lovely ride giving wonderful views.Capri itself is very expensive for shopping and eating out.You can also walk from Capri town to the ruins of Nero's summer villa.

We disembarked at Civitavecchia and trundled our bags along the front to the station.At Rome's Termini station we took the Leonardo Express train to the airport.We had stopped over in Rome on previous cruises and have done a lot of the usual tourist sights.

If you are having a few days in Rome before the cruise I can highly recommend the 'Scavi tour. This is a very special tour beneath St.Peter's in which you get to walk along the streets of ancient Rome which the early Christians walked along,see some of their coffins and catch a tantalizing glimpse of St.Peter's tomb .Numbers are limited and issued by the Vatican and you can only book on line in advance

I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect on this cruise.I see that Windstar have many more tours on offer than when we went but certainly the Italian ports are easy to do by yourself.

If you are considering going,I advise September or October when it should not be so hot.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a complete response to my question. We were a little hesitant about planning this cruise after reading what was available about the ports. Your comments and what we have found on Trip Advisor and other sites have made us more enthusiastic.

If you remember the tour company you used in Sicily that would be appreciated. The Windstar excursions pretty much consist of quite expensive group personal tours.

In Sicily, we found another couple and just rented a cab for the day, primarily went to Taormina and then a couple stops in town. I think the total fee was somewhere around EU100 for the four of us. We then had some time left to walk around a little bit afterwards. There were several cabs waiting right where we disembarked. In Taormina, don't miss the Cannoli - there was a great shop very close to the amphitheater.

Edited by milepig

Great memories. Travel's review brought back a lot of recollections of our first Windstar cruise back in 1995 which also went from Rome to Athens.

One of the highlights was the night we passed Stromboli volcano while she was throwing out red hot lava. The captain diverted the standard route so we could have a once in a lifetime experience. We were on the Wind Spirit under sail at the time.

Enjoy your cruise.

We spent 10 days in Sicily and it is one of my most favorite places on earth. If you rent a driver and car and go to Taromania make sure he/she takes you to the little town way above Taromania for the views are spectacular. Make sure you go to Bar Tourista where a very funny surprise awaits you. It is a subtle surprise but once you see it you will roar. Enjoy.

I,too, love Sicily although we've only been on day trips from cruises.I have it mentally planned that we should return and spend some time there and on the Amalfi coast,another favourite place.

Although we have been frequent visitors to Rome my husband and I have yet to make the 'Scavi tour. Your post reminded me of that and of how far in advance one might need to make reservations.With your post in mind, I was able to secure tickets for our September visit prior to our Windstar cruise.

Thank you again for sharing.

The Scavi tour was the favorite thing my DD has ever done in Italy, and she's been several times. Very interesting, and something different to do in Rome.

Scavi is great, and surprisingly easy to get to by bus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I will be taking my first Windstar/Sea Breeze cruise from Venice to Rome in June and I'm just getting around to booking the excursions. There are plenty ways of booking these excursions other than Windstar and would like to know if your experiences have been positive booking outside of Windstar. I really don't know what to expect because the only other overseas cruise we've done is an all inclusive with Viking. I would appreciate any advise you may offer. Thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

Pink

Please let me know any observations, experiences, and tips once you have completed your Rome Athens cruise in June. We will be traveling with a big family group and would be interested in your thoughts on ports, excursions, and any non Windstar companies you used for tours.

Thanks