Wind Spirit: Available scuba gear

scooky

Howdy all, First post.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Will be going on our first Windstar cruise at the end of May to Tahiti & the Tuamotu Islands.

I'm wondering if anyone can provide any insights on the scuba gear provided on the wind spirit.

I'm in the process of getting certified for scuba this month and planning to take advantage of some scuba on the cruise. I suspect they will have everything I would need onboard, but would feel better if I knew more.

fwiw: I've got my own Mask, Snorkel, Boots, Fins.

I don't expect I'll have my own BC, Octo, Computer, weights, etc.

Also, do they check out the equipment for the duration of the trip like they do with snorkel gear or more likely on a day by day basis?

Thanks

Hi! As ridethetide said, the scuba equipment will be provided by the dive operator, whether you choose to do the diving excursion through Windstar or independently.

My husband and I have our own gear so I don't have personal experience with the rental equipment, but I didn't hear anything negative from divers who rented gear on our Tahiti cruise.

Also, instead of going with WS excursions, I arranged all our diving myself by contacting the dive shops directly. It saved us a lot of money and I could choose operators that had good reviews.

The diving was amazing!

Scooky,

which date in May will you be cruising? We will be on the 23 may cruise, as an avid diver I will be bringing my own equipment. There are some very nice travel BC's out there, but as others have said the rental equipment is probably ok. I would suggest however to have your own personal computer, so you can understand how it works and be confident in the settings you chose. You may also want to consider bringing your own 3mm wetsuit, the rentals are usually worn thin and remember if it is a rental someone has probably done #1 in it, not to be crude or anything.:D Just my 2 cents worth

Thanks for the replies.

Yes on the 23rd sailing.

I'll be they guy wearing the shorts and sandals if you see me. :D

I've seen pics of the Wind Spirit aquatics platform that have a wall of Aqualung BC's (looks like Wave to me) and some shorty wet suits.

So, I assumed they had at least some gear. Not necessarily for personal use, but likely for guided activities.

I don't anticipate becoming an avid diver, although you never know...

My wife is not a water person and I'm in drysuit country.

I expect my typical pattern will be to get certified in the next few weeks. Enjoy this trip. Then likely do nothing for a few years. Next time we go to warm country, I'll likely take a refresher course before we go. That sort of thing. I hesitate on collecting too much stuff, but recognize there are some things worth having.

As I get certified in the next few weeks, I'll definitely be discussing this with my instructors as well.

I figured if I knew what the ship had, it would help them guide me with what I need to bring.