Camera fogging

ski ww

I have a problem when in warmer parts of the world with my camera fogging up when moving from the cool AC interior of the ship out side to the hot humid steamy deck. All my lens & camera stay fogged for a long time even the inside of the camera, any suggestions?

Allan

I have used Repti-Therm reptile tank heaters for years to keep my gear warm while in the cabin. It is a low-wattage heating pad designed to keep pet reptiles' terrarium tanks at a livable temperature and is perfect for keeping camera equipment above the dew point.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AQCKA

I set it in my bag, plug it in and close the flap. When I take the camera or lenses out in the morning, everything is 85°-90° and immune to condensation.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I usually end up with a balcony cabin when I cruise, so this advice is particularly for that situation: but I will typically put my camera out on the balcony when I wake on a morning when I intend to use the camera - if possible, with direct sun on it. That lets it acclimatize to the outdoor environment for 30 minutes or so before I intend to go shoot. Even when I bring it back in for the jaunt through the room and the ship to deboard, it has usually retained the warmth enough to not fog again.

In general, keeping the camera under warm clothes or a towel, in a bag with dessicant, using a warming pad if you have one, or even keeping it on something in the cabin that tends to be warmer, like on a windowsill or ledge, will help.

In general, there should be no permanent damage as long as you let the camera naturally acclimatize until the fogging wears away - don't try to rub, wipe, clean, shake, etc. Exposure to direct sun will usually help lens glass and elements inside the camera defog - point lenses towards the sun when outside, either beforehand or when you first get out on land...and just give it some time to equalize.

Thanks for the info. I'm worried that condensation can also cause a problem for the inside of the camera with all that moisture.

Allan

Put the camera in a closed bag before you go outside and let it come to temperature before you take it out of the bag. BTW - you will also have the same problem if you are outside in the winter when it is cold and you bring it intl a warm room.

Although I have no hard evidence one way or another, it can't do the camera any good to have a lot of condensed moisture inside of the camera.

DON

Thank you every one for your thoughts. I also have the moisture problem up here in the great white north when I go out to take pictures. Might have to go to the local camera store and get them to have a look on the inside to check if the moisture has done any damage.

Allan

It's not that it's 'good' for a camera to have that moisture inside, but at the same time my experience is that it's likely not detrimental in general, or if it is, it would be over many many years or poor storage that you might see problems from it. Most people would probably replace a camera or the camera would break from other causes long before constant fogging and defogging caused a major problem.

I live in a highly tropical zone, and we deal with heat and humidity at the very highest levels for about 8 months of the year - some of the highest on earth. So fogged cameras are literally a daily part of life. I've had dozens of cameras over decades, some of which have experienced moisture/condensation build up as much as 200 days a year, often multiple times a day. In and out of air conditioned spaces which I keep very cold and outside weather running 95 degrees and 85-90% humidity. Never had a camera fail - my oldest still-working cameras are a 1977 Pentax SLR, a 1997 Sony videocam, and a 2003 P&S camera. All of my DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, P&S cameras, and video cameras have been through these cycles, and just letting them defog themselves naturally, and taking basic precautions to store them after they've been equalized and in as dry an environment as I can inside, all of them have been just fine.

• 1 month later...
I would try and zip lock the camera with some dry rice tied in a piece of nylon stockings. That should pull all the moisture out I would think.

What is this thing w dry rice? If you need a desiccant, use a real desiccant.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the camera in a zip lock bag. Put it in the bag before you leave your cabin so when the moisture is pulled out of the air by a cold camera it forms on the bag and not your camera. The ideas of keeping the camera in wrap to keep it from getting so cold have some merit but the key is to keep the moisture off of your gear. You might even consider bagging the camera first thing in the morning and leaving it out on your balcony so it can begin to acclimate before you leave the ship. The cold does penetrate so you need to allow yourself some time to warm it up. I have also used hair dryers to warm cameras and lenses up quickly but still make sure it is bagged to keep the condensation off of the camera.