Picture-A-Week-2015 - Week 19

Suns been shining, so busy in the garden planting some shrubs.

Not this one, been here a long time.

DSC_0192.jpg

Hopefully have some nice cherries again this year.

DSC_0194.jpg

and here's my guard dog that's going to protect them.

DSC_0184.jpg

A flower of one of the shrubs we planted a Ribes sanguineum

DSC_0218.jpg

Dickie

DILEEP GREAT PICTURES, it's been awhile, missed your weekly contribution.:

Appreciate, as correctly noted above, these wonderful bird pictures by dileep. Super interesting visuals!!

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all deserving these excellent honors. This is a biggie here in America. For other parts of the world, any added background for how big are both Mother's and Father's Day in these other locations?

This morning, my wife and friends were involving in putting together a Mother's Day Brunch through the Coalition for the Homeless. The objective is to honor mothers and their families for those not as fortunate as we are. There were nice flowers, a wonderful brunch, great desserts, books and balloons for the kids, healthcare help, family pictures being taken for those honored, etc. See a few of my photo samples/examples below to celebrate Mother's Day.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 107,454 views for this posting.

At today's Mother's Day Brunch through the Coalition for the Homeless in Columbus, Ohio, here are few visuals samples, including nice flowers, desserts, crafts for the kids, etc., to honor mothers and their important work/role in our society.:

Spring2015A13_zpsny3khr11.jpg

Spring2015A9_zpsq7y1fi5s.jpg

Spring2015A8_zpsyr60ktdw.jpg

Spring2015A11_zpslnbkyhhe.jpg

Spring2015A10_zpspobichcx.jpg

Spring2015A12_zpsty3bwpf0.jpg

I received my A6000 Friday and I took it to the Pittsburgh Pirates game Saturday evening. I own a Sony Alpha Nex F3 so I am not totally new to Sony cameras but I do have a lot to learn. Here are a few shots.

DSC00217_zpss5huug8o.jpg

DSC00202_zpsxa5o4vkz.jpg

I tried the illustration-High Picture Effect. My wife loves this feature. It will be really cool to use this effect on the ship docked from shore. (The guy sitting in front of me moved into the frame :()

DSC00203_zps6v2vcwlq.jpg

Here is the Partial Color Yellow Picture Effect.

DSC00201_zps2yixsvjq.jpg

I'm going to have a blast learning this camera before my July cruises!

One more illustration.

DSC00213_zpskqbwjgdl.jpg

I received my A6000 Friday and I took it to the Pittsburgh Pirates game Saturday evening. I own a Sony Alpha Nex F3 so I am not totally new to Sony cameras but I do have a lot to learn. Here are a few shots.

I tried the illustration-High Picture Effect. My wife loves this feature. It will be really cool to use this effect on the ship docked from shore. (The guy sitting in front of me moved into the frame

I'm going to have a blast learning this camera before my July cruises!

Good luck with your new camera and on your July cruise/adventure. Keep practicing and testing!! Appreciate the interesting pictures with the "illustration-High Picture Effect". Very unique!!

With your summer cruises, use your camera lots in San Juan, PR. We visited there in Feb. and really loved this city, it history, charming architecture, etc. Have you visited San Juan previously?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 198,953 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

I received my A6000 Friday and I took it to the Pittsburgh Pirates game Saturday evening .... but I do have a lot to learn. Here are a few shots.

Thank you for posting!

Never got around to trying them on my Sony (NEX7 and A6000) and that B&W partial yellow really caught by eye.

I have a lot to learn too!

Great shots!

Honeysuckle bush survived the winter:

May%208%20003_zpsjnzg4nvd.jpg

Krazy, The Honeysuckle looks quite bushy and healthy, are your winters harsh?

Dickie

They have been the last couple of years. I lost over 30 different day lilies and hybrid lilies that can never be replaced. We also lost several pines and a cherry tree as well as parts of 3 Mimosa trees.

In 2014 we also lost a cruise because of connecting airports being shut down for nearly 5 days.

We are use to cold and snow. But when we have a few days where it goes into the 50's and then suddenly drops into the 20's and below -- it is murder on everything.

TLCOhio,

Yes, my DW and I were in San Juan for the first time last year. We both loved what we got to see. We will be in SJ from 4:00pm to 11:00pm. I hope to capture the sunset from one of the forts. I hope to get some nice night shots, so I better start practicing now. I am open for any tips that you and any others may have.

Reid

DILEEP GREAT PICTURES, it's been awhile, missed your weekly contribution.

THANKS

Tom :cool:

Thanks. Been traveling too much and pictures of hotels and airports are not fun!

TLCOhio, Yes, my DW and I were in San Juan for the first time last year. We both loved what we got to see. We will be in SJ from 4:00pm to 11:00pm. I hope to capture the sunset from one of the forts. I hope to get some nice night shots, so I better start practicing now. I am open for any tips that you and any others may have. Reid

Hi, Reid! Appreciate the follow-up for your upcoming San Juan visit. Too bad you do not have more time there to explore the Old Town and other nearby attractions.

One little important "detail" is that Castillo San Cristobal & Castillo San Felipe del Morro are only open to the public from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm. There are also some fascinating options outside of those two castle/fortress sites. But your time window is fairly narrow. Below are a few of my quick examples from our visit there. These were not taken during this current thread period, but they might help give you some ideas for what types of visuals might work. Be creative during your visit to San Juan. Great architecture potentials there. Others might have added tips and ideas. More below on my live/blog around page thirteen.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Plus, in and around San Juan! Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 22,484 views for these postings.

Here are two angles/views of the famous cemetery setting that is immediately next to this fortress. This Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Cemetery was inaugurated in 1863. Its circular red-domed chapel, inspired by Bramante’s Rotonda in Rome, stands out amongst the numerous graves. The picturesque burial grounds are adorned with Genevan marbles and sculptures. These enhance the final resting place of important political, artistic and literary figures. This includes José Ferrer, the Academy Award-winning actor and director.:

SanJuanA20_zpsrsbdydte.jpg

SanJuanA19_zpsdtg50xjv.jpg

Here is a narrow street view in Old San Juan as this road goes downhill towards the water/port areas where many cruise ships dock.:

SanJuanA15_zps9mlcksgi.jpg

Here is a view from near the San Juan Gate of the famed walled fortress that guarded this town from its early 1500's period. This San Juan Gate is right near where the Governor's Palace or La Fortaleza (The Fortress) is located. It is the current official residence of the Governor of Puerto Rico. It was built between 1533 and 1540 to defend the harbor of San Juan. It is the oldest executive mansion in continuous use in the New World.:

SanJuanA10_zpsto4lxxhd.jpg

This is San Juan's City Hall in the historic Old Town area. Nice fountain and plaza in front of this colorful, classical building.:

SanJuanA6_zps5dulnoaf.jpg

Here is a small sample of the newer areas of San Juan, their high-rises, beaches, etc.:

SanJuanA1_zpsoeojvlvr.jpg

Neat shots in this week's thread - Dileep - nice to see someone else shooting the birds! Great selection, and I see you have lots of nesting going on too. Lovely San Juan shots, Terry - always a wonderful city to shoot.

Here are some of my birds from this past weekend, with my A6000:

Purple gallinule stretching its wings:

original.jpg

Roseated spoonbill flying over:

original.jpg

Very close up with a double-crested cormorant (those eyes!):

original.jpg

Red bellied woodpecker:

original.jpg

Shhh - sleeping alligator in the shade:

original.jpg

Appreciate these super wonderful bird pictures from zackiedawg. Really inspires me to get out and take more pictures. BUT, here in Ohio, we do not have many birds looking this spectacular.

THANKS for sharing! And for making the nice comments on my San Juan visuals. Yes, we loved the city during our first visit there. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 199,114 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Neat shots in this week's thread - Dileep - nice to see someone else shooting the birds! Great selection, and I see you have lots of nesting going on too. Lovely San Juan shots, Terry - always a wonderful city to shoot.

Here are some of my birds from this past weekend, with my A6000:

Purple gallinule stretching its wings:

Roseated spoonbill flying over:

Very close up with a double-crested cormorant (those eyes!):

Red bellied woodpecker:

Shhh - sleeping alligator in the shade:

Great shots!