Larry Pimentel Post # 7 - In Closing

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

All said and done, I can see that this Cruise Critic Q & A Forum has stimulated much thought, discussion and conflicting opinion among the approximately 140 participants with respect to my decision to include in the tariff: 1)complimentary standard spirits and international beers to complement the existing boutique wines; 2) an exclusive custom-tailored memorable evening experience; and 3) an early booking savings of up to 25% on Land Discoveries including those that include a flight and/or hotel such as the overland to Angkor Wat or include the use against private car and van tours in the ports of call.

In my postings I have been more candid and comprehensive than any other CEO in my effort to explain our forward direction and provide the full context for my decisions. I've tried to articulate why I believe these enhancements provide excellent value and reinforce our core destination-immersion "deliverable" or else I wouldn't have made the decision to do so.

I read your different point of views expressed on the "Big Announcement" October 1st thread along with the Q & A Post #2/ Land Discoveries Savings Program and Destination Immersion, about whether these enhancements have made our onboard experience an even more of or less of an extraordinary value with the realization that you will be served an onboard product by our team that is superior. The new "cost/benefit" proposition is the core issue.

As I stated at the outset, regardless of how our sales and marketing strategies are packaged, I believe you know that you will be served an exceptional onboard experience by our team that is superior. This is an extraordinary value we provide - a staff that performs at consistent high levels irrespective of our guests' more than 40 plus origin markets, with their wide pallet of varying tastes. Having stated this, we can do even better – and we will.

Certainly the "share of voice" from those of you who are positive and/or are "undecided" and willing to make a judgment later when more details about the AzAmazing Evenings and Land Discoveries shore excursions are presented starting next week, has been muted by the high number of posts submitted by about less than 10% of the participants expressing their regret about our decision and the impact it has had on making our tariffs unattractive for some.

Last week I made the commitment that I would review topics/issues that were affecting the majority of guests and would determine with my team if a change would be in order. I listened:
Removed Nespresso from the Mosaic Cafe[LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Reinstated the Land Discoveries Savings Program by modifying it to include an early booking savings of up to 25% starting with the Europe season on Land Discoveries including those that include a flight and/or hotel such as the overland to Angkor Wat or include the use against private car and van tours in the ports of call[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]Removed the word "bespoke" from my lexicon.[/LIST]
[LIST]
[*]I am reviewing with my executive team, a solution for those guests who purchased an onboard "open passages" account this year and who now wish to cancel and receive a refund for their 2013 voyage as a result of the October 1, 2012 announcement about our tariffs and the elimination of a 50% savings for all Land Discoveries operating in 2013. This is being reviewed by those concerned in the various global markets and once a final decision has been reached, Bill Leiber will post a separate thread with the outcome.
[/LIST]

Yesterday, "Pacheco18" stated, "It should be obvious to everyone that Mr. Pimentel intends to go through with his plan as announced. ... He is in charge and he decides the future of the cruise line. We can either accept the explanation for the change or not. We can all choose to continue to book cruises on Azamara or not under the new policies and prices...."

And I could not agree more. On my introductory letter to this Q & A thread, I said that there might be items on which we disagree and that we "will simply have to agree to disagree."

You're all free-agents to make decisions that are best for you and the way you live your life. I respect your decision to do so. The sheer volume of posts and views indicated to me that there was a high-level of emotion and energy driving many of you to express your disappointment, and because life is so short, I think there are too many better ways to use one's energy. The good news is that the cruise industry has many alternatives and as a consumer, if something does not work from your perspective, then it might be time to make another choice. Life and those in it are imperfect. Thankfully, not everyone will agree on all topics and I respect and encourage a diversity of opinion and choice.

Having said that, I hope that when those of you who are disillusioned with our direction will adopt a "wait and see" so that you can absorb more of the details about what is being added to our extraordinary value. I said this
before, that your passion for our brand has made our Cruise Critic past guests like a "window into our soul" and a critical component of awakening our minds to achieve the full potential from the promise of the Azamara Club Cruises' deliverables. I hope that I'll be able to welcome you onboard again.

[COLOR=red]Larry[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Thank you for taking the time to read and answer our questions. i lvoe Azamara and i am staying-right here. I have a total of 11 more cruises booked for the next 2 years.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000] Naturally i like savings on ship tours but at the same time i do many private ones that could be the same or more.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I enjoy my Cosmo's in Prime C at night...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]I rave about your company or your baby.. [/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Looking forward to more in the years to come[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Robin[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]

Larry,I do appreciate the time you spend on here this week, do have to say I missed the interaction you had with us the last time you were on here.

I made my peace with the 50% off and I do feel you really did not address our concerns about it so be it the decision is made and will live with it.. I will look forward to see what is in store when the new shore ex comes out. If the Shore ex are better then a mass market line then I will be delighted. We will see

I am a pretty much down to earth person and call it the way I see it. You decided to go in a different direction then I want to go. It has been great while it lasted and thank you for the time I had with Azamara it was special.

You are correct there are other cruise lines out there and sad to say with the new price sturcture I am outpriced for Azamara and will look elsewhere. I do intend to enjoy our cruise on Azamara in 2013. I have enjoyed our experience with your line it was great while it lasted.

Thank you, Larry, for such unfiltered, honest insight into your vision for your company. Rarely are CEO's so transparent with their employees, much less their customers.

Simply put, I love your product. I don't look at my vacations on Azamara as cruising, but as traveling, and the long stays, overnights and unusual ports have open worlds to me that I would not have experienced on any other line. I will still keep an open mind to other options, but doubt that any can meet MY needs nearly as well.

I have tried to explain to people the genuine warmth that your crew has and which permeates the ships, but it's just not possible until you've been onboard yourself. It's exemplified by one of your waitresses (Milena) who we met on the Journey on our first two weeks onboard. When we boarded Quest a year later and she saw us, she rushed up to us and gave a quick hug and a welcome home!

As an HR executive, I admire the brand you and your team have developed. Kuddos, and thanks again.

I, too , thank you, Larry, for addressing our concerns on this new move.
I LOVE Azamara and will be on the Journey in two weeks ( JOY!). I hope to sail with Azamara again and again, but hope I will not be outpriced. I hope that you continue to offer specials when bookings need to be increased , as well as the great single supplement on some sailings. I love that you consider Cruise Critic members as the window to your soul. As you know, we are passionate about Azamara

Thank you Larry for spending this week with us patiently answering questions and so eloquently explaining why certain decisions have been made. As many others have indicated, the "Azamara Experience" is like no other and cannot be explained...it must be experienced in person.

We certainly have no desire to be reimbursed for our future passage certificate....in fact, used it just today to book a fabulous cruise in 2014. Our only problem was which itinerary to choose!! So many fabulous places to visit!

Earlier this week I noticed that someone made reference to the "Azamara Cheerleaders". I am happy to be one of those "cheerleaders" and will continue tell anyone who will listen to me how impressed we are with everything and everyone connected with Azamara Club Cruises.

Thank you again for all of your efforts to provide a unique and memorable vacation experience for so many lucky people. We are thrilled to be part of the Azamara family and look forward to many many more adventures on the high seas with such very special people.

[quote name='cpgrneyes']Thank you, Larry, for such unfiltered, honest insight into your vision for your company. Rarely are CEO's so transparent with their employees, much less their customers.

Simply put, I love your product. I don't look at my vacations on Azamara as cruising, but as traveling, and the long stays, overnights and unusual ports have open worlds to me that I would not have experienced on any other line. I will still keep an open mind to other options, but doubt that any can meet MY needs nearly as well.

I have tried to explain to people the genuine warmth that your crew has and which permeates the ships, but it's just not possible until you've been onboard yourself. It's exemplified by one of your waitresses (Milena) who we met on the Journey on our first two weeks onboard. When we boarded Quest a year later and she saw us, she rushed up to us and gave a quick hug and a welcome home!

[COLOR=red]maybe that is why i have done 7 cruises on the Journey.. i had people hug me home too. trying the Quest out next- it will take a while but soon i will be welcome home too.[/COLOR]

As an HR executive, I admire the brand you and your team have developed. Kuddos, and thanks again.[/quote]

I am so looking forward to meeting yu in jan on the Quest. go team Azamara!!

Thank you Larry for your posts. I met you briefly on our last Azamara cruise and told you how much I love the line and product. We have three more cruises booked for 2013 and look forward to planning our 2014 cruises aboard our favorite ships. We cannot wait to get back and hear Gemma and Minelli greet us and say "welcome home". I have all confidence that you and your team will make the changes necessary to keep the line viable and profitable and your guests happy. Happy sailing

Larry, you are right the cruise industry has many alternatives and as a consumer I will use them. I am not priced out of Azamara but I just don't find value in it for us any more, therefore will not be sailing on Azamara again. I wish you and Azamara well.

Larry,

Thousands of customers and potential customers read your Q&A session with great interest. Do find it surprising that after posting your closing remarks only 3 or 4 cruisers have posted positive remarks to this specific thread? Perhaps you are surprised that bottom shelf liquor and an evening excursion didn't substitute for reasonable prices and sticking with advertised promotions. Is the silence telling you that you can't charge Lexus prices for a Camry? Or, is the silence telling you you can't unilaterally rescind a major promotion (the 50% off on shore excursions) and then arrogantly state you've listened and reinstate a part of the discount? Whatever the reason, only a small percentage of the viewers of your Q&A session, significantly less than 1%, have expressed complete satisfaction with your new direction. And, that group hasn't gotten an invoice showing what their new reservations will cost!

[quote name='crzrr']We are all busy booking our future AZ cruises![/quote]

Hope you took my comment as humor since I noticed we are on the same Quest, August 7th cruise (it is part 2 of our back to back cruises). Perhaps I can buy you a beer and we can discuss how these changes are all turning out? Anyway, given your proximity on Quest, I'll refrain from further comments on your posts.

[quote name='laurieb']Yes!!
And I am among those looking forward to what is ahead for Azamara. I'm looking forward to CC getting back to more positve threads[/quote]

I agree 100%. The decisions have been made and everyone will never be happy with changes. It is their decision to make the changes and I will still be a very happy Azamara customer. Whenever I board and get the "welcome home" greeting, I cannot think of anyplace I would rather be.

Hopefully we can move to regular posts and stop the complaining......

[quote name='taxjam']Hope you took my comment as humor since I noticed we are on the same Quest, August 7th cruise (it is part 2 of our back to back cruises). Perhaps I can buy you a beer and we can discuss how these changes are all turning out? Anyway, given your proximity on Quest, I'll refrain from further comments on your posts.[/quote]

That could be a cheap round considering the beer should be free by then . [IMG]http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon4.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='berkshireboy']That could be a cheap round considering the beer should be free by then . [IMG]http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon4.gif[/IMG][/quote]

That was the point - no cost. Of course, my offer still stands if Azamara decides to rescind the free beer benefit and go back to charging.

Archived