mia or fll

Boatingmom

Debarking in port everglades after our cruise. Miami flights are significantly more affordable. Is it worth it to shuttle to Miami and depart from there ? Has anybody ever done this? Another option would be to stay overnight but then the children would miss school. HELP!

The "shuttle to MIA" question is discussed daily on the Florida Departures board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

You will have to decide if it is "worth it" when you check out the prices, and see just how much the savings might be after you calculate round trip shuttle costs.

Check out the rates with SAS Transportation...and see if the difference in price of flights makes that worthwhile. It's about a 45 min. ride from Pt. Everglades to MIA. Staying overnight will eat up about $300 in hotel costs....

This is one trip where you do NOT want to use a cab!

Debarking in port everglades after our cruise. Miami flights are significantly more affordable. Is it worth it to shuttle to Miami and depart from there ? Has anybody ever done this? Another option would be to stay overnight but then the children would miss school. HELP!

We flew out of Miami a couple of years ago. But, we did a cruise line shore excursion in FLL after the cruise which dropped us off at the Miami airport. It was quite reasonably priced. I might do it again next February.

I've actually found the opposite in most cases - MIA more expensive than FLL.

But, a question I find is... are you flying into FLL and then want to leave from MIA? Two one way flights? Usually, a round-trip is cheaper than 2 one-ways. From your signature it appears you are cruising on the Regal Apr 5-12? If so, I've found return flights from FLL to Long Island cheaper than from MIA. But then, I really don't know what you're looking at.

Good Luck and whatever you decide... Have fun.

While flying out of MIA after docking at Port Everglades may seem more attractive money wise don't forget to give yourselves a far greater time margin. I certainly would not even attempt a MIA departure before 1 because of increased hassle disembarking, drive time, increased check in and TSA at MIA (notoriously slower there than FLL) and in many cases a farther hike from check in to your gate.