Key West First-timer

superduper123

I have never been to Key West. We are docked from approximately noon until 5pm. I want to do/see something that is unique to KW, and that I won't find in other ports, (unlike dolphins, paddle board, snorkel, kayak etc.)

What is the best use of my time as a tourist for a few hours? How much of this is walking distance? Or should I plan on transportation?

Thanks for any suggestions!

What is unique about Key West is our walkable historic district full of beautiful homes, shops, bars and restaurants. We also have excellent local seafood worth sampling. The best use of time for a short visit in my opinion is to walk around and explore. Everything is walking distance from either the dock or where you will be dropped off if docking at the Navy Mole pier.

If you go to this sites sister site, TripAdvisor, you will see a list of top attractions so you can see if anything specific interests you. Truman's Little White House, The Lighhouse and Hemingway's home are three of the more popular sites. You can also take a tour on the Conch Train or one of the hop on hop off Trolleys. Cityview Trolley is a good choice if you're interested.

What is unique about Key West is our walkable historic district full of beautiful homes, shops, bars and restaurants. We also have excellent local seafood worth sampling. The best use of time for a short visit in my opinion is to walk around and explore. Everything is walking distance from either the dock or where you will be dropped off if docking at the Navy Mole pier.

If you go to this sites sister site, TripAdvisor, you will see a list of top attractions so you can see if anything specific interests you. Truman's Little White House, The Lighhouse and Hemingway's home are three of the more popular sites. You can also take a tour on the Conch Train or one of the hop on hop off Trolleys. Cityview Trolley is a good choice if you're interested.

This is excellent, thank you!

I have never been to Key West. We are docked from approximately noon until 5pm. I want to do/see something that is unique to KW, and that I won't find in other ports, (unlike dolphins, paddle board, snorkel, kayak etc.)

What is the best use of my time as a tourist for a few hours? How much of this is walking distance? Or should I plan on transportation?

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you did one of the self-guided walking tours you'd see Key West unique things and discover others in between stops. The Pelican Path walking tour is good since it begins at Mallory Square ---> https://oirf.org/page.php?p=pelican

Pjk

As a frequent visitor to Key West, some things I find unique there include the Historic Schooner Wharf docks. That entire dock area is very picturesque and has a variety of restaurants, some better than others.

Another unique site is the Fisher museum of treasure which has many artifacts found from Spanish ship wrecks off Florida Keys' shores, notably the Atocha.

If more modern history is your thing, the Truman Winter White House offers tours that take you back to late forties and early fifties lifestyles and decor. Also the Hemmingway House is a very popular tour. Don't miss their six-toed cats that roam freely there.

I have also enjoyed Conch Train tours because they give you an interesting once over of the Old Town Key West providing a taste of the special architecture and tropical vegetation of the area. Others prefer the on-off trolleys because, unlike the Conch Train, you are free to leave the trolley at given places and get back on later.

Lastly, don't miss a taste of key lime pie somewhere because it is the home of key lime pie. It is a shame to go top Key West and not try some. My favorite is key lime pie dipped in chocolate.

True "free-range" roosters, hens and chicks populate the streets and by ways of Key West. They just go where they want when they want. Have your camera ready.

• 1 month later...
As a frequent visitor to Key West, some things I find unique there include the Historic Schooner Wharf docks. That entire dock area is very picturesque and has a variety of restaurants, some better than others.

Another unique site is the Fisher museum of treasure which has many artifacts found from Spanish ship wrecks off Florida Keys' shores, notably the Atocha.

If more modern history is your thing, the Truman Winter White House offers tours that take you back to late forties and early fifties lifestyles and decor. Also the Hemmingway House is a very popular tour. Don't miss their six-toed cats that roam freely there.

I have also enjoyed Conch Train tours because they give you an interesting once over of the Old Town Key West providing a taste of the special architecture and tropical vegetation of the area. Others prefer the on-off trolleys because, unlike the Conch Train, you are free to leave the trolley at given places and get back on later.

Lastly, don't miss a taste of key lime pie somewhere because it is the home of key lime pie. It is a shame to go top Key West and not try some. My favorite is key lime pie dipped in chocolate.

True "free-range" roosters, hens and chicks populate the streets and by ways of Key West. They just go where they want when they want. Have your camera ready.

So where are a few places you would recommend for Key Lime pie?

I've been to KW one other time and I recommend a good spot to visit for a photo op is the Southern most point of Continental US

Southernmost-Point-64154.jpg

So where are a few places you would recommend for Key Lime pie?

I've been to KW one other time and I recommend a good spot to visit for a photo op is the Southern most point of Continental US

Southernmost-Point-64154.jpg

Definitely go to Kermits Key Lime shop for Key Lime Pie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We normally go to Key West for three or four days before our cruises out of PE but have never visited on a cruise ship.

Subject to that limitation, if you don't feel up to the walk, my suggestion would be to take the Ho-ho trolley tour. Not only will you get a commentary with a tour of Key West, but there is also a stop (Stop 5 I think) which is very close to Hemmingway's House.

https://www.trolleytours.com/key-west/hop-on-hop-off

If you decide to take a trolley tour I would recommend http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com

Their equipment is much more comfortable with padded seating and more than $9 cheaper pp than Old Town Trolley.

Both follow basically the same route and you can pick up either right as you walk onto Front St.

Mike:)

I appreciate that, although I visit reasonably regularly, you are based in Key West and clearly know the area better than I do.

However, am I not correct in thinking that, whilst both tours cover basically the same 'tourist sights' route, and, for folks visiting on Cruise Ships, as the OP is, it is fair to say that the City View route does not waste time vising the hotel district, in the case of anyone planning to stay in Key West it is important to note that, if you are in a hotel on either N or S Roosevelt Boulevard, then it is only the OTT which has stops near to your hotel?

Edited by Corfe Mixture

It is correct that City View Trolley confines itself to Old Town Key West and does not travel to the area mentioned. Most tourist prefer to stay in the Old Town area where most everything is easily walkable and they don't have to take transportation each time they leave their lodging.

Using the sightseeing trolleys as a form of transportation can get quite expensive in Key West. Hopefully the city fathers can see to lift their restrictions on Uber and Lyft in the near future which will help greatly.

Mike:)