Orlando to Miami which road

boogybaby

Hi, we are travelling from orlando airport mco to downtown Miami on Sunday 19th April using hertz hire car it's our first time driving in USA is it easier to use the toll road and how much should we expect the bill to be

Thanks Janice

Take the Florida Turnpike all the way to Miami. Any car we have rented to get ourselves to a cruise has a device in it to pay all the tolls - we always have used Avis but I imagine that Hertz will have then as well. Just make sure that the car you are renting has one. ( a car with an out of state plate may not) There is no way to avoid tolls, even coming out of the airport so having a car with a Sunpass device allows you to breeze through the toll booths and not having to worry about having the proper kinds of coins and bills on you.

Edited by Orlandocruiser

Yes, the tolls from the Sun Pass will be added to your rental bill. It is by far the easiest way to drive North(center) to South(east) in Florida. Remember to watch the Sun Pass tolls signs as the lanes allow you to drive right through (slow down) and very rarely are there lines.

Rental cars usually have the Sun Pass but be sure to ask. The middle of the state is pretty desolate so make sure you have gas and don't have to stop. Parts are long ways between exits.

There are excellent service areas at approximately 40 mile intervals on the way, and these are accessed from both sides of the road.

Hire cars are fitted with transponders, and you will usually pay a fee per day on top of your tolls, this is sometimes called PlatePass.

These tolls will be charged to the credit card that you used to rent the car with, at the end of your rental period..

The transponder allows you to use the Fast Pass or Sun Pass lane so you don't have to stop.

The main section of the turnpike operates a ticket system, if you want to pay by cash, and this mid section costs around $13, so not a fortune. However, paying by cash is being phased out, so a transponder is very useful. Around Miami you cannot pay cash.

Would definitely recommend the Turnpike. It's a great road.

Edited by ellie1145

Just happened across this post. I am in total agreement that FL Turnpike is preferred option. I avoid 95 south of Jupiter, FL anytime I can. Constant construction, crazy drivers, and constant changing of the road from 2,3 or 4 lanes means I drive with a death grip on the wheel through there. Just be sure you have GPS to help with getting the right highway exit from turnpike to Miami.

The turnpike ends at I-95 at what is called the Golden Glades Interchange. Don't go on the Turnpike extension (Signs to Homestead); it will take you further west than you need to go.

From the Golden Glades to the Port of Miami is only a 10 mile drive.

US 27 is an option depending on where you start. If you are starting from Disney or Celebration it is easy to get to and a more leisurely and scenic route. However from the airport I would not recommend it. You would be backtracking too far west. I live here and have driven to FLL and Miami several times on all of these roads.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

• 5 months later...

We are doing this in 2016!

Where would you drop the car off. I've heard different stories. Some say go to Miami airport and get the shuttle others say port and get a taxi. I'd be interested which car hire firm is recommended and where to drop off and pick up on return?

Many thanks for any help given.

We are doing this in 2016!

Where would you drop the car off. I've heard different stories. Some say go to Miami airport and get the shuttle others say port and get a taxi. I'd be interested which car hire firm is recommended and where to drop off and pick up on return?

Many thanks for any help given.

There are no car rentals based at Miami Port, all collect you from outside the cruise terminal and shuttle you to MIA Car Rental Centre. We arranged our car hire via http://www.rentalcars.com back in the UK, just state pickup at Miami Port (they will collect you by shuttle). You don't select the company, Rentalcars do that, it will probably be Budget Car Hire maybe Avis. Drop-off can be anywhere you like in Florida as there is no one way drop-off fee. If you are meeting a cruise you drop the car off at MIA Rental Centre and they take you by shuttle to the port, free of charge. If you are flying home from MIA, you drop the car off at the same place, MIA Car Rental Centre is at MIAMI International Airport

Edited by jody75
typo

There are no car rentals based at Miami Port, all collect you from outside the cruise terminal and shuttle you to MIA Car Rental Centre. We arranged our car hire via http://www.rentalcars.com back in the UK, just state pickup at Miami Port (they will collect you by shuttle). You don't select the company, Rentalcars do that, it will probably be Budget Car Hire maybe Avis. Drop-off can be anywhere you like in Florida as there is no one way drop-off fee. If you are meeting a cruise you drop the car off at MIA Rental Centre and they take you by shuttle to the port, free of charge. If you are flying home from MIA, you drop the car off at the same place, MIA Car Rental Centre is at MIAMI International Airport

Thanks Jody.

Have read so many different threads.

We're using Alamo and a friend who worked for them said use MIA. We did the same in FLL years ago.

Karen

I use Hertz rental cars: in Miami you drop them off in the city, at a hotel site. I think the hotel may be the Embassy Suites. Hertz has a free shuttle to the port or you can take a taxi which is about $12. I use the taxi rather than wait for a crowded shuttle. This is much closer to the port than the airport so it is much quicker. Also, I hate the Miami airport rental car place where all the companies are gathered together.

Upon your return to port at the end of cruise, they will pick you up if you made a return car reservation. They take you to the downtown Hertz location to pick up your car. It can be a little hectic with people going out on cruises and those returning but to me it is much better than the airport.

I have done this several times. Just make sure your reservation is made for the Cruise port of Miami rather than airport.

I use Hertz rental cars: in Miami you drop them off in the city, at a hotel site. I think the hotel may be the Embassy Suites. Hertz has a free shuttle to the port or you can take a taxi which is about $12. I use the taxi rather than wait for a crowded shuttle. This is much closer to the port than the airport so it is much quicker. Also, I hate the Miami airport rental car place where all the companies are gathered together.

Upon your return to port at the end of cruise, they will pick you up if you made a return car reservation. They take you to the downtown Hertz location to pick up your car. It can be a little hectic with people going out on cruises and those returning but to me it is much better than the airport.

I have done this several times. Just make sure your reservation is made for the Cruise port of Miami rather than airport.

Thank you.

I'm trying to find the address and I can only find the Marriott. Do you think the hotel has changed?

Karen