Activities for Seniors?

soxfan2013

Traveling with grandparents on Summit to Bermuda...ages 77 and 79...speak Chinese with limited English...what are peoples' best suggestions for on-board and Bermuda based activities for seniors (they are generally healthy, although don't like to sit in direct sunlight).

Edited by soxfan2013

Hello, here's some of the many things your grandparents may enjoy on their cruise.

The forward pool area is covered. The pool is heated salt-water and is mostly for adults. We enjoyed this area very much on our recent cruise to Bermuda. This is a real gem!

I was looking for some reading material in the library on the first sea day and I witnessed a very spirited game of Mar-johg (sp.) I also noticed a large collection of board games in the library's collection. By the way if a card or board game is a family favorite it might be wise to bring yours from home.

I enjoy Cafe Al Bacio. It has entertainment (a solo piano player) I enjoyed. There is no charge for all of those tasty bakery items they have in the case. They are delicious.

I noticed an umbrella in the cabin's closet for the sun if going for a walk.

There is a review of the 8-2-2015 cruise and they mentioned renting lounges & a umbrella for the beach. We just used the towels we had from the room.

Eating is a senior sport and they do have a wide range of different foods on board.

I think there is a wide range of activities on board. I'm glad you're interested in their having a grand time on your cruise to Bermuda.

I'm sure you'll be able to translate offerings of daily activities if they need help. They deliver a copy of the Daily Summit nightly to each cabin. Have a great cruise.

Winnie

One of the really good things about Celebrity is how they describe their excursions in terms of activity level, amount of walking, steps.....I think you will find if they book a couple of excursions to split up the time they will be very happy with the range of activities suggested by Win1.

I did a cruise a couple of years ago following an accident and was worried I may be bored but instead it made me attend events I probably would not usually bother with. One being the 'High Tea' and another being a wine tasting.

Hope you all have a great cruise!

Here are some on-board activities:

Watch the cooking demonstrations

Take a ballroom dance class ( or just watch those who are)

Go on a tour of the galley (it's hard to hear in there anyway, just look around and take it all in )

Listen to the musicians

Go around the ship and look at all the artwork -- it's like a mini art museum -- there may be a guidebook at the Guest Relations desk so be sure to ask them if there is, but don't worry if there isn't, there's a lot to see on each public deck and in the stairwells on every level

On Reflection there was a book of the art...very impressive, Andy Warhol, Christo, etc...really liked the glass pieces in Murano...but cool art everywhere you turn.

Hoping they might find some Chinese "seniors" to play Mahjong with...may be a long shot, but 2000 ppl...you never know...I think they'll go with us to the Crystal Caves as an excursion...we're thinking of taking to the ferry to St. Georges and a taxi to/from the caves...should be a nice day if the weather is nice...I don't think they'll do the catamaran or the beach.

The Mah Jongg games on board ships are the American style or version of the Chinese games. I have played both and the ones on board are the kind Americans play. Also the actual game bears no resemblance to the game on computers known as Mah Jongg. If you want to play the American version with the on-board game set, you need to check to be sure the box contains a full set of tiles and bring your own card.

Edited by Trainer