Sewage smell/problem

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:52 AM.
Idaho, USA
457 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
We are looking at trying HAL for the first time so I have been researching it. Seems like I hear the complaint of sewage problems/smells come up frequently enough to concern me. Is it a frequent problem?? We really like Celebrity and I have never seen that complaint on any post for Celebrity, or any other line for that matter. But Celebrity doesn't do the Mex. Riv. anymore and I like the smaller ships so I'm not really considering the other lines that do go there.
Montreal
513 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
I have read similar posts at various times on these boards but have never personally encountered the problem on the three different HAL ships that I have been on between Oct.'07-Jan.'09. (Volendam, Maasdam & Veendam)

I have an upcoming cruise in November on the Westerndam and hopefully sewage smells will continue to be a non-issue. That could really ruin a vacation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jersey
221 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by menajr8
We are looking at trying HAL for the first time so I have been researching it. Seems like I hear the complaint of sewage problems/smells come up frequently enough to concern me. Is it a frequent problem?? We really like Celebrity and I have never seen that complaint on any post for Celebrity, or any other line for that matter. But Celebrity doesn't do the Mex. Riv. anymore and I like the smaller ships so I'm not really considering the other lines that do go there.
Its a real crap shoot on weather your going to smell poo................
Houston, Texas, USA
3,541 Posts
Joined May 2002
Originally posted by menajr8
We sailed on the Celebrity Millennium in May of this year. We didn't have a "sewage smell", but did have a "sewage problem". Everytime we flushed the toilet, it leaked all over the bathroom floor. This was in a Royal Suite. Haven't had this sort of problem on HAL...

The main difference between the two lines is the smoking policy...

Good luck!

B
Washington State
2,555 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
I have never experienced unpleasant odors of any kind on HAL ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Next Cruise
7 Day Alaska, Eurodam, April 29, 2017
38 Day Voyage of the Vikings August, 2017

Past Cruises
combo cruise-land tour Northern Europe May 15, 2015 140 days
78 night Grand Pacific and Far East Voyage
115 night Grand World on Amsterdam....January 5, 2013 http://world.kweenkaren.com

62 night Grand Mediterranean/Black Sea on Prinsendam...March, 2012 http://mediterranean.kweenkaren.com/
66 night Grand South America/Antarctica on Prinsendam...January, 2011 http://southamerica.kweenkaren.com/
14 day Alaska Adventure on Amsterdam...June, 2010 http://alaska.kweenkaren.com/
67-night Grand Pacific, Australia & New Zealand on Amsterdam Sept, 2009 http://dreamcruise.kweenkaren.com/
Amsterdam....Panama Canal....Ft Lauderdale to Seattle...April, 2007
Amsterdam....Alaska....August, 2004
Veendam.....Carribean.....April, 1980
Island Princess....Mexico......Honeymoon.....October, 1973
Space Coast FL
24,826 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We had a small sewage smell problem on the Statendam - odors from the tub drain. Remembering to keep the stopper in the closed position except when showering fixed it.

We never smelled anything anywhere else on the ship - or on the Veendam or Amsterdam either.

One other odd thing on the Statendam - it was a time-delay flush! We had to wait anywhere from 5 to maybe 30 seconds after pushing the button before it would flush. It seemed to be longer when we were in port. Maybe the vacuum was worse then.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
John ..email_me
AMSTERDAM 2641 Alaska 7/02 | WESTERDAM 8010 Baltic 9/05 | NOORDAM 7124 Western Mediterranean 6/06 | VEENDAM 712 Western Caribbean 12/06 | Sovereign of the Seas 6556 Bahamas 4/07 | STATENDAM 394 Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 | ZUIDERDAM 8021 Eastern Caribbean 12/07 | AMSTERDAM 3385 Panama Canal transit 4/08 | EURODAM 4130 Bahamas 10/08 | NOORDAM 8009 Southern Caribbean 12/08 | NOORDAM 4178 Southern Caribbean 12/09 | NIEUW AMSTERDAM 8057 Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 | RYNDAM 394 Western Caribbean 12/10 | VEENDAM 418 Bermuda 10/11 | MAASDAM 404 3/12 | PRINSENDAM 303 Trans-Atlantic 5/13 | Disney Dream 10508 Bahamas 11/13 | EURODAM 4094 Viking Passage TranAtl 8/14 | NIEUW AMSTERDAM 5186 Eastern Caribbean 12/14 | EURODAM 8144 Western Caribbean 11/15 | KONINGSDAM 8138 Bahamas 11/16 | OOSTERDAM 8098 Western Caribbean 12/16
1,877 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by pipedreams62
who could that be?
I've never smelled anything like that on any cruise ship. Kind of gross, huh? I've heard of it happening, and certainly people complain about it, so it must happen but call me crazy, but never to me. I must be careful here. I am sure it happens, just not to me. I don't want to be flamed here.
Central Coast of California
1,013 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
There was a *slight* sewer type odor emanating from the toilet area on the Westerdam a few times on our cruise, but it wasn't bad enough to complain about. I've smelled worse in our bathrooms at home after the DH & DS used them.

Also when our septic tank failed. Yuck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The "Ro" in D and Ro

**Sailed the Westerdam 5-31-09 to Alaska**
Holmdel, NJ US
10,722 Posts
Joined Mar 2000
I cruise all mass market cruise lines and do a tremendous amount of walking, while onboard. Keep on walking and sooner or later, chances are, one is going to find a stink spot, any cruise line, any ship, any age. When that happens, just keep on walking.

All plumbing, everywhere, eventually has issues. Hotel and cruise line plumbing has more issues than the typical home because guests/passengers put all sorts of things in the loo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
-Hammybee

Who always dresses for dinner and does not notice what you are wearing, unless there is a pineapple on your head.
Shelby county, outside of Memphis
3,530 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I think that the Oosterdam is used primary for the Mexican cruises. I know that there were some complaints on the "S classes",but not the Vista class.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."
Mark Twain

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013
Southwest Florida
10,137 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
We book OV cabins on the lower decks & have occasionally smelled sewage in the hallways when they are pumping out the ships holding tank in port, on HAL & other cruise lines....But it usually does not last & can't be helped, since your toilet & bathroom water is not pumped overboard..All waste goes into special Holding tanks..When our own boat holding tank was pumped out, there was always an odor..

Once had a leak in our cabin from a broken pipe down the line, but HAL took care of it immediately..

As Hammy says all ships occasionally have sewage smells..We've never smelled it in a Hotel though...

Betty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
email_me

For Meet & Greet Info. Pls. put Cruise Critic in Subject line.. Betty
Cruises: '70 Hellenic "Orion" Greek Isles; '83 Norwegian Carib. "Southwind" East. Carib. ; '96 NCL "Dreamward" East. Carib; '98 HAL "Ryndam" South. Carib.; '99 NCL "Majesty" Panama Canal-Mexico; '01 HAL "Volendam" Trinidad/Martinique; '02 NCL "Dream" Trans-Atlantic MIA-ROM; '03 HAL "Maasdam" West. Carib.; '03 HAL "Amsterdam" South Amer. RIO-SCL; '04 HAL "Westerdam" Trans-Atlantic BCN-FLL; '05 NCL "Crown" SCL-MIA via Canal; '06 HAL "Prinsendam" FLL-Amazon via Carib.; '06 HAL "Ryndam" Carib-Isla de Margarita; '07 Oceania "Regatta" Amazon via Carib. '08 HAL "Veendam"-Alaska; '08 HAL "Maasdam" Southern Carib.: '09 HAL "Statendam" RT FLL-SAN via Panama Canal; '10 HAL "Veendam" Bermuda '10 HAL "Noordam" B2B Carib.; '11 Oceania "Regatta" U.S. Coastal, Bermuda & Carib.; '12 HAL "Nieuw Amsterdam" B2B Carib.; '12 HAL "Noordam " B2B Carib.; '13 HAL "Prinsendam" South Amer. Antartica, & Amazon via Panama Canal & Carib.
Dapp Alberta
660 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
I guess it depends on how many times you've cruised as if, or when you'll run into the sewage smell. We unfortunately have noticed it on two different HAL ships. the first time on the Statendam. It seemed to be only on two decks and mostly in the aft sections. On the Ryndam it was all over the ship. The staff in the front office hated the sewage smell as much as the passengers. It lasted about four days. We have cruised many other times on the Statendam and Ryndam and they have been sewage smell free. We have never had the sewage smell on the other HAL ships. Maybe we we're lucky. Take care.
Boca Raton, Florida
2,287 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Had it once on the Zuiderdam on deck 3 near the main stairs...it lasted for 5 days of a 7-day cruise, but was mild, not overwhelming, and pretty much isolated to a 20-foot section of the starboard hall as you passed the public restroom. The next time I cruised on Zuiderdam, it wasn't there anymore, nor was it on Noordam last year. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My photo gallery: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

San Antonio, TX
8,406 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We've only had one instance of a sewer problem on a cruise and that was on the Ryndam. She was, at that time, only on her fourth cruise and they were still working out some problems. They literally tore our bathroom apart to get to a leaking pipe and we had no problems after that. I don't recall any other significant problem.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carey and Randy invite you to visit our website at: www.klugsplace.com

"If not now, when?"
Seattle Washington
1,796 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
All modern cruise ships have the same sewage system and all cruise ships have the same problem. It does not matter if the ship is new or old. Someone always seems to try to flush a phone book down the toilet and then wonders why the system does not want to work. The problem exists on all cruise lines.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
12,592 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by zackiedawg
Had it once on the Zuiderdam on deck 3 near the main stairs...it lasted for 5 days of a 7-day cruise, but was mild, not overwhelming, and pretty much isolated to a 20-foot section of the starboard hall as you passed the public restroom. The next time I cruised on Zuiderdam, it wasn't there anymore, nor was it on Noordam last year. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
zackiwdawg got a question for you. Can you send me photos of your cabin(s) They would be used on the following link to show what the staterooms/cabins look like. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/ IF yes, send them to my email below.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email irl_joanie@yahoo.com

"To me a stranger is just a friend I have not yet met."

Our Personal Web Site for our cruises, photos, menus, activities, etc. http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/

Past Cruises
:

Brendisi-Piraeus Jun 83

Greek Islands Jun 85
Piraeus-Venice Dec 85
Oosterdam-
VA 5054-Alaska May 08
Westerdam-SA 7076-Alaska May 09
Westerdam-
VF 8154-Caribbean (E&S) Feb 10
Nieuw Amsterdam-
SC 6164-Caribbean (W) Nov 10
Oosterdam-SC 6166-Mexican Riviera Apr 11
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Alaska Sept 11
Noordam-SB 7142-Caribbean (S) Mar 12
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 6175-Caribbean (W) Nov 12
Westerdam-SA 7085-Caribbean (S) Dec 12
Zuiderdam-SC 5190-Alaska May 13
Zuiderdam-SC 6166-Panama Canal (PT) Nov 13
Westerdam-SC 5190-Alaska July 14
Westerdam-SS 6052-Alaska July 14
Nieuw Amsterdam-SB-5187-E/W Caribbean 7-21 Dec 15
Noordam-SB-7142-San Diego/Alaska 5-23 May 15
Oosterdam-SB-6166-Caribbean Wayfarer 16-27 Nov 15
Nieuw Amsterdam-SC 5186-San Diego to Alaska Inside Passage - 19 Days-25 Apr through May 14 2016
Zuiderdam-SB 5190-Panama Canal (Partial Transit) 20 November 2016
(FINAL Cruise due to HAL Smoking Policy Change)